My very 'humble' beginners collection...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
elkabong

My very 'humble' beginners collection...

Post by elkabong »

Here are the knives I currently own. "Nothing" knives, I know. LOL! They're the ones I picked up while in Europe in the late 1970's.

The 'film' you see on the blades is just some Tri-Flo oil i need to wipe off.

The red "Super Automatic" is a cheap OTF knife.

The 'stag' handles are imitation I'm pretty sure. They sure look like they are. The 'kick' on that knife is still fantastic considering how old it is. I always store with the blades 'out', which is correct I hope?

Any info you guys can give me on these knives would be appreciated.

Thanks;
Rudy

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: My very 'humble' beginners collection...

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They aren't "nothing" knives, they are the start of your collection.
The mini is a real Italian model.
The Super Automatic is a iconic model that many started their collection with.
The Massaro lever lock is a darned good knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Three popular classics! Thanks for sharing the pics!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Great knives elkabong
Great start
I absolutely love Massaro italian leverlocks ,they are great fast openers and solid knives.
The stag is imitation but i think it looks cool on these knives.
I love the super automatics and havn't got one myself yet.
They are a must in any collection of switchblades.
Good luck with adding to your collection and thanks for sharing these.

gravknife
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

You should sell them cheap! Stop while you still can, it can get much worse as quite a few here can tell you. You start with a few and next thing you know your wondering where your gonna put them at.
2024 candidate for president
elkabong

Post by elkabong »

Gentlemen;

Thanks for all the nice comments. It's good to know that the stag handled knife actually has a 'brand name'; "Massaro' & yes, it really is a nice solid knife.

The "Super Automatic" I got because I wanted an OTF knife that wasn't very expensive. I can't even remember where I got them. I "think" I got the Super Auto in Venice. The Massaro in Germany (...or maybe I think there because of the "Rostfrei'" on it???) Hmmmm...Really can't recall.

I'd like to get a nice OTF knife now that looks more "Italian Style", but most of the ones on BladePlay look either 'utilitarian' to me; like a box cutter almost. Or like a tactical knife, that a Navy Seal would use. Neither of those appeal to me.

The only ones that I've found so far that have the "Italian Style" look that I like are the "Trap Doors'; but MAN! are they ever pricey!

Are there any other OTF's that have that Italian look, but not BIG price tag?

Thx
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Great start to your collection and thanks for sharing the photos. I don't know what Italian trap doors you saw, but I suspect you encountered some of the vintage long discontinued models which explains their value. I don't keep current with otf models. If yo go to the good onel thread and look through those sites you will probably get an idea of what is available.

Jim
DonC

Post by DonC »

Take a look at http://www.sharperdeals.net/. If you can connect to the site it's a good source for what's out there for sale. It may take jumping through some hoops to get in but it's worth the trouble. You can also reach it by registering at http://www.sharperdeal.biz/forums/ which will get you in through the forum once you've registered.
It can get addictive but as long as you're careful you probably won't spend more than 5 or 6 hours a day for the rest of your life devoted to the hobby );-).
Welcome aboard. My condolences to your wife and bank account. Don't ask me how I know.
DonC
elkabong

Post by elkabong »

Actually I have already registered at Sharper Deals site, but haven't spent much time there yet.
So what do I 'specifically' look for there then? Just "OTF" & then look for a more Italian style OTF knife?

DonC; Thanks for the heads up. I have enough expensive bad habits. I really better try to keep the reigns on this one. One factor that might help me 'curb my enthusiasm' on these knives is the fact that I'm in Canada. So getting them here is both risky & expensive....

I have about a half a dozen knives I've ordered this past month that I'm picking up in the USA & then [hopefully] just taking them across the border with me ....YIKES!!!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

these are Made in Italy OTFs:

http://www.bladeplay.com/cat--OTF-Knive ... gh-99--369

You red handle super automatic was made in Korea by the Bell Metal Company which is still around making nail clippers. Nice start to a collection
elkabong

Post by elkabong »

Hi Tom19176;

Yes, I have seen those, thanks. But to me, they're the ones that look to me like box cutters & tactical knives. They don't have the "Classic Italian" look to them.

Thanks for the info on my Super Auto as well!
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Massaro (Guido Ottavio Massaro) makes a terrific knife. I was just thinking last night, as I ad my role open and a bunch of really high dollar expensive old automatic knives out, how well the Massaro fired and locked up compared with all of these others.
Belmont800