aga 11" ebony picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Re: aga 11" ebony picklock

Post by JulesVane »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:Sorry Bill but I'm really not convinced you'd be happy with this piece after spending $300 on it... And if you tried re-selling it as new with the pictures OP provided instead of the stock photo of a cherry-picked one from 3knives, along with an accurate description of what's "not perfect" about it, it would be listed for a very long time, and any sales would result in returns or an "item not as described" claim... this is a $100 project knife at best.
Ha! I have a hard enough time with the "warning" listed: "As a natural material, the scales colors & patterns vary from knife to knife". They show a beautiful Brazilian Horn, dark with white marbling, and you get one that resembles a green color You think to yourself: "But, I wanted the black & white one". Can you imagine, if instead, the "warning" read..."Sold In As In Condition"? Certainly make one think twice! (laughing). Reminds me of my Dad's warning when Mom cooked something us kids hated for dinner: "You'll get what you're given AND LIKE IT!" lol

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

How could they possibly show all the variations in natural handle materials?
Sounds like you just have a bone to pick, and want to gripe.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote:How could they possibly show all the variations in natural handle materials?
Sounds like you just have a bone to pick, and want to gripe.
I apologize. I thought it was obvious that I was trying to make light of the subject by adding the (laughing) and lol joke about childhood dinners. I often forget that things aren't always read as writing was intended. I'm here to make friends and learn. Not to upset anyone. I, myself, am sensitive as well and in the future, will now read more than I write.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

hi just some info i can pass along to you about the 11" ebony flatguard picklock and all Italian stilettos in general. all these things you listed as defects are not really defects this is how they are made and have been made for last 80 years or more, sure some italian stiletto knives will be flawless but that is rare, every collector looks for different traits (ill call them) to knives like blade not straight when closed , bananna blade,spinal curve ,misaligned safety,button to hard to push, safety too loose,small gap in liners,spring not strong , backspring sticks up a hair above liners etc.... i have heard them all lol ive even had walts Latamas returned to me because they dont come with a edge on blade they are un-sharpened just like the Latamas from 1950's . if you are just getting into collecting italian stilettos from any era (flatguard era, picklock,era, transitional era, 70's era, modern era), etc... you might want to get used to seeing everything you pointed out and more , a 1920's flatguard picklock with peeking blade bannana blade cracked scales probably go for 3500 or more lol , some of these knives are super rare and collectors do not care what traits it has picked up over the 70+ years it has been around but that is the the fun about collecting these knives is finding one or more that you like personally hold on to it untill you find a better one (if you ever do), other brands and styles of knives you collect may be perfect all around and if you search hard enough you can find perfect made stilettos . i have vintage Latamas , Coricamas , Rosco picklocks, 1960's Transitionals and tons of knives up to current and i guarantee you probably find a flaw in every one of them as thats just how it is none are perfect even if you have one custom made for you by a custom maker you will still find flaw somewhere . AGA makes some pretty nice and tough knives i have many in my collection that i have open and closed for over 10 years with no problems but blade getting loose but easy fix peen pivot pin with 2ounce hammer and tight again , i myself have one actually a few of these 11" flatguards , i have tested one in brazilian horn since i got it last year and have flicked that knife open and closed over 2000 times that is no BS two thousand times and only problem is blade got little loose so peened pivot and tight again . this same knife made here in USA would cost somewhere around 1100 dollars and like i said go spend the 1100 and you will still find a flaw somewhere on the knife lol its just nature of the beast so to speak. you have to accept the way they are or dont buy them , if your super picky about knives i dont think italian knives are for you but if your willing to accept the (way they are) then you will find it is very cool and fun hobby :)
john

Post by john »

I didn't read the entire thread so my comment maybe have been said by someone else. 3Knives is Angelo'a store on Austria. Knives from Austria but not legal from Italy. Give the seller a chance to repair the knife or replace it or pay to have it repaired. Give the seller a chance to make it up to you.
How old is the knife and what is the stamp on that thing. It is most likely worth repairing get some estimates from the craftsman who visit this site.
Good luck,
John
PS: If you really hate it you can always send it to me. Just kidding, get it fixed.
Last edited by john on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
john

Post by john »

3Knives is Angelo'a store on Austria. It's legal to mail knives from Austria but not legal from Italy. Give the seller a chance to repair the knife or replace it or pay to have it repaired.
How old is the knife and what is the stamp on the tang? It is most likely worth repairing get some estimates from the craftsman who visit this site.
Good luck,
John
PS: If you really hate it you can always send it to me. Just kidding, get it fixed.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed