Is this worth repairing? (pawn shop 13" transitional)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Villafuego

Is this worth repairing? (pawn shop 13" transitional)

Post by Villafuego »

I haven't posted in a good long while.....as I've not really found anything new or interesting....

I picked this up yesterday at a local pawn shop...59.00......looked like it had been sharpened with a grinder. 13"....D-stamped, lined NS bolsters, 5mm dovetailed spring......

It does have some issues......the release bolster seems very tight, and it will not fire unless the sides/scales are squeezed slightly, and the liners seem to be slightly spread/loose.

I sympathetically cleaned up the grind marks on the blade, but am hesitant to actually do anything else

Is it worth sending off to be repaired (nothing cosmetic.....purely functional), or just put it on the shelf and leave it as a static display??

Thanks,
Bob
\Image
lance

Re: Is this worth repairing? (pawn shop 13" transitional)

Post by lance »

Id say yeah its a real nice transitional,blade looks full,horm looks like it pulling away from the likers on the top corner.but way too pretty to not work as intended.slip a spring in that old girl
DonC

Post by DonC »

Depends on your personal preference. If you want fully functioning knives go ahead and have it repaired. If you're a purist keep it as is. You'll find both types of collectors here.
If you're thinking of repair get a hold of Bill. His work is absolutely top notch.
DonC
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Villafuego
I'd love to own that 13"transitional knife..its a real beauty . 8)
Ill bet its fairly rare being a 13 " aswell.

Which ever way you go will be the right way .
I believe with older knives that its a matter of what damage you can personally live with .....without said damage driving you mad each time you look at it.

As long as the repair was done by one of the trusted restorers here it would be performed to a top notch and acceptable standard .....but i think it looks sleek and mean just the way it sits....its had a life and its still showing off its beauty.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
gravknife
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

A lot of people will tell you to leave stuff as it is but if it is a issue of functionality, a knife like that should be fixed up. Based on what you are saying, it sounds like the issue is warped horn that is squeezing it too much. It should just need a rescale (maybe get the backspring cleaned a little while it's apart). And a knife like that should be sent to a pro because it's a good one There are a few people who are qualified but Bill is usually the easiest to get a hold of..
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

the scale looks pretty nice aside from the front pin cracks I'd repair the scale and by doing so keep the knife original and avoid paying somebody twice what the knife is worth having it rescaled . very simple easy to do I repaired hundreds of scales with very good results .
Greek stiletto

Post by Greek stiletto »

I'll say yes coz its very nice and if you do a nice cleaning oiling sharpening and rust removal will be perfect...I dont thing will take a lot of work
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

It has actually cleaned up fairly well.....and seems to be working a "tad" better

Displays pretty well in the cabinet too

Thanks guys....
Greek stiletto

Post by Greek stiletto »

Hey try to take a thin sandpaper and remove all the "black" parts and polish the overall brass parts and the back amd the front of the handle you will be surprise by the results but watch do not scratch it.
Ps after all try to apply a nickel paste to the blade with a cloth...if you doing it post pics with the results

Hope that help
Chris