Replacing scales on vintage knives

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mick17

Replacing scales on vintage knives

Post by mick17 »

Hi all- I'm seeing some great older knives like Latamas popping up on the auction sites. However many have damage to the scales like bug bites, etc.

I'm thinking of getting one with scale damage and picking out a new scale(s) for 1 side or both to replace the damaged one(s).

Will this devalue the knife significantly since it won't be all original? Or is it more a matter of personal preference? In other words, if I sell it at some point will some buyers pay more since it has new scales and some purists wanting all original won't consider buying it at all?

Thanks!
sammy the blade

Re: Replacing scales on vintage knives

Post by sammy the blade »

Don't mess with it if you think you may be selling somewhere in the future. Collectors like them in original condition.
2024 candidate for president
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Hi i would say it all depends on the handles being replaced , if the handles are in super bad condition and have to be replaced then rehandle knife for sure now if they are not real bad and can be fixed then yes save them and do not replace them . as far as will it devalue knife it all depends on the buyer and rarity of knife but typically a un-restored all original knife will be worth more to the collector.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Properly rehandling a vintage knife is not as easy as you seem to think it is.
Collectors can spot an amateur rehandle from 10 feet away.
If you are going to do it, have someone who knows what they are doing do the work. It's not cheap, BTW.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
DonC

Post by DonC »

X2 to Bill's comments. If you decide to do it get in touch with him and have him do it. His work is nothing short of outstanding.
DonD
mick17

Post by mick17 »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Metalgod, I'd definitely only consider doing this for knives that have scales in really bad shape but the knife is very desirable otherwise.

Bill, you're exactly who I had in mind for the rehandling when I posted this question. Not sure what it would cost, but if I were to have this done it would be spared no expense. I don't have something in mind now, the question just just popped in my head while seeing scale damage on some old knives.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well, thanks-but it doesn't have to be me. There are 3 others that come to mind when doing this type work besides me. Pat Haviln, Kaleb Reynolds, and Jeremy Kreis all do good work too.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Properly rehandling a vintage knife is not as easy as you seem to think it is.
Collectors can spot an amateur rehandle from 10 feet away.
If you are going to do it, have someone who knows what they are doing do the work. It's not cheap, BTW.
There's a thread on here somewhere. Years ago, I found an old latama at a flea market. The handles were cracked and in terrible shape but the knife still functioned well. I sent it to Bill and he made it look brand new. A perfect example of restoration. I would much rather have a fully functioning classic latama than a broken piece of junk.
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")