Tactical frank b 9 inch stilletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
leighdog

Tactical frank b 9 inch stilletto

Post by leighdog »

I bought a frank b 9 inch tactical with the rubberized scales and was wondering if they hold up ok? Its just part of my collection and wont be used hardly at all. Mostly for display and showing people.
omega

Re: Tactical frank b 9 inch stilletto

Post by omega »

Sorry, Mr. Leighdog. Your knife is an FB model #2398VT. These pieces are from Frank's "Switch" line, a budget-priced knife, made with modern materials and methods using some type of alloy frame, rather than brass/steel liners and bolsters. Typically, when these pieces fail, they refuse to stay closed. Maybe OK in a display case, but never as a carry-knife. Retail: $45 - $65, although I saw some asshole on GunBroker asking for much more ($190) on one a while back. Any knife with screw-on scales is a "Switch" model.

When I used to sell the switch models, I always ordered multiples due to the high liklihood of having to replace them after customers sent them back. Perhaps a 20% failure rate. Never had those problems with the "Classic" line knives.

FB's "Classic" line is generally a better knife and the prices reflect that. They are constructed using the older (50's- 90's methods) with brass liners and pins, never screw-on scales. That said, I've seen some real pigs ship out of Maniago is recent years, some from FB's "Classic" line even!
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Thank you for the info. I think I will sell it.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

You are correct Mr. Omega. I recall years back when I bought a pair of (heard them called "tuxedos", "dominoes","penguins" etc) and gave one to my brother and his lasted about two weeks.
Mine was lying next to the computer monitor late one night after I had a few Bourbons and all the sudden it snapped open and flew off the desk.
It would close but only for a few minutes or just a few seconds. Paid 40 a piece and sold mine for 10 or 15 bucks to someone here on Talk Blade for scrap or whatever.
So yeah 80 bucks pissed away in no time at all. The sear pin must have been tin or aluminum foil :lol:

Love Frank B knives but it was sad to see this family of Italian steel to "Chinese-ize" some of their product line.
omega

Post by omega »

The other thing about the all-black FB "Tactical" is the rubberized plastic scales. Something in that plastic behaves like its oxidizing, causing the scales to become very brittle and crack all to hell for no apparent reason. I always had Frank throw a handful of spare scales onto my orders for customers who needed them - which he did @ n/c.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Thanks, I'm listing it today for sale
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Are you listing it on blade bid?
2024 candidate for president
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Probably, Its brand new and only opened and closed a few times.