"hump"

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Scotchman

"hump"

Post by Scotchman »

IMG_20170227_164409.jpg
IMG_20170227_164409.jpg (763.25 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
TRYKER

Re: "hump"

Post by TRYKER »

tomorrow is wendsday also known as hump day !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

TRYKER wrote:tomorrow is wendsday also known as hump day !!!
Tomorrow is Tuesday, the day before hump day! I've been wrong before so if I am just forgive me, please.
2024 candidate for president
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Funny. This is a pic to a question I had.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Have.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Scotchman wrote:Funny. This is a pic to a question I had.
Scotchman wrote:Have.

Is the unasked question this:"Why is the backspring bulging?"??
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

If you are asking about the backspring bending out a little, it happens from time to time with production autos like this. It's not a problem, other than how it looks. It's actually not a hard thing to fix if you have a sander and some polishing papers. You could do it without even taking that backspring pin out.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

And a professional (spelled wrong?) to do it. I'll have to live with it. I like my swinger better, and hopefully can pick up my limited edition at the post office tomorrow.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

So, that's the back spring? What is the spine of a knife? Is that right?
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Sammy we forgive you this time, next time you might not be so lucky. Lol. :D
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Scotchman wrote:And a professional (spelled wrong?) to do it. I'll have to live with it. I like my swinger better, and hopefully can pick up my limited edition at the post office tomorrow.
You could do it yourself. Just run it across a ~120 belt to remove the bent out part. Of course, that would leave the liners and sides of the scales scratched up. So then use higher and higher belts up to about 800. At that point the scratches would be very small. Then finish with some polishing papers. You could also use a very thin Dremel polishing wheel with metal polish to finish the polishing of the backspring. I cut 1/4" wheels along the circumference to make really thin wheels that could get at just the backspring (and put some tape along the scales).

Or, if you pulled that backspring pin out, you could just get at the backspring and not have to worry about the liners and scales getting scratched up. Though, this way would make it tough to get all the pieces perfectly flush.
So, that's the back spring? What is the spine of a knife? Is that right?
Yes, that piece is the backspring. Notice the spring tension that pushed the tab at the top into the pin on the blade. That is why it is a spring. It is also the spine. The spine is a more general term to describe that acts as the foundation of the handle. The lock on a swinger is also a spine because it acts as that same structural piece. But that lock on a swinger is not actually a backspring, despite how it is often mislabed, because it is not the piece with the spring tension (that is the piece inside the handle that pushes the bottom of the lock). Hopefully that made sense. If it didn't, I can try to explain it better.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

JimBrown257, if I only had the machinery, tools, technology, and know-how to do it. I don't have all that, but thanks. I'll live with it as long as it don't bother the knife. It's my second knife to the very 1st one (Italian), I had years ago , that I don't have any more. I also have a swinguard that I am more partial to and I just bought a limited edition knife(it's at the post office) that hopefully I'll be happy with. Will pick it up tomorrow.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Later. Phone time and forum posting time is different for some reason.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

sammy the blade wrote:
TRYKER wrote:tomorrow is wendsday also known as hump day !!!
Tomorrow is Tuesday, the day before hump day! I've been wrong before so if I am just forgive me, please.

BRAIN FART !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I didn't smell anything but tomorro is Hump Day!
2024 candidate for president