Unknown switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Unknown switchblade

Post by gravknife »

Hello my freinds at TB
I have to post this knife as i just cant pin it down anywhere.
Its not my knife but i was bidding on it and it suddenly went crazy and ended up selling for big money.
I had surmised it was indian on my first bid but as i looked it had quality and when restored i knew it would be a nice and unusual knife.
The safety looks off centre to the button assembly ,the horn or ivory is nicely fitted and the bolsters look unusual as does the blade shape.
I really like this knife just couldnt afford its final price.
Im posting it as i lost many photos today and would live to know where the knife was made before this one is deleted by my daughter.
Any opinions on it greatly appreciated.

Ian
Attachments
$_3 (8).JPG
$_3 (8).JPG (26.58 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
$_3 (9).JPG
$_3 (9).JPG (34.13 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
john

Re: Unknown switchblade

Post by john »

Hello Ian,
Good looking knife. Looks like it's been through quite a bit. I like the engraving on the brass bolsters. Sorry, but I can't help identifying the knife.
What did it sell for?
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Knives like this must be classified by materials, workmanship, shape, and decoration.

Materials: steel, brass and camel bone. Steel pins. Says India/Pakistan area.
Workmanship: good workmanship can be found on more expensive pieces from that same area.
Shape is vaguely Italian (guards and buttons)- but overall shape seems more Americanized. Inconclusive.
Decoration: crude hand engraving says Middle East, though very fine engraving is available from that area.

My guess is India/Pakistan.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It does looks like a maker from India or Pakistan tried to make something unlike the usual stuff we see from those areas. The bolsters details really look something from those place. I can't recall ever seeing one with the standard sliding safety or picklock release. The blade grind is also unusual for one of those knives. A lot of times those ones are fake-aged but that one seems legitimately older.

One way you can get a clue is to see what else the seller has. Sometimes that can give you an idea about the area of origin or time period.

If you don't mind me asking: what was the asking price?
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks John
I thought i'd share this here so anyone who hadnt seen this style of knife .
Bill
Thanks for looking .
I have no experience with the Indian knives.I thought they were mostly brass leverlocks,or sheffield No.6 knives.
Thanks for the info my freind.
Jim
This knife sold for over 300 euros and thats with it needing work.
Thanks for taking a look and commenting.
Hope your both well
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Those decorative brass levers do seem to be the vast majority of Indian autos but there are some other models. There is one swivel-bolster model that looks like an Italian auto. It is the closest thing I have seen to that knife you posted (but still pretty different). Most Pakistani knives also seem to be levers.

$300 is definitely way more than it is worth. Did it actually sell for that price? And what kind of work did it need?
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Yes Jim
It sold on French ebay and It may have been even more than i quoted but i know it was definitely around 300 .
I dont think it was in good working order either.
I can also see it needs a new rear bolster making and it needs to be engraved like the rest ,plus then needing resoldering back to the liner .
It drew my eye with its fat blade and handle ,strange bolsters,and the nicely fitted scales of which i believed to be ivory.
I really like it but was shocked at the end result and winning bid.
It made me think i may have missed something special from the victorian era ,anglo_indian or an old French model in some obscure book..
I like the unusual switches and somwone thought this one
worth that amount ,or was caught up in a bidding war he didnt want to lose.

Gravknife
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Gravknife- if a switchblade uses brass for anything other than liners, be suspect of age.
Some old Italians used brass bolsters and fittings, but few others did.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.