In need of help with Godfather spring replacement

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
spindizzy

In need of help with Godfather spring replacement

Post by spindizzy »

Hi folks. Been a while since I was here. 5 years, 10?

Anyway I have a relatively simple (I hope) problem and maybe you can help. I'm not sure I am posting in the correct forum section, I think so.

I own a Pro-tech Godfather and the coil spring has broken. I don't really know how to replace it. I can't send it to Protech for repair since they do not ship back knives overseas, but they've graciously offered me a few replacement coil springs for free. So, I'll get those and possible new inlays (hey, the customs can't complain about those.)

I'd imagine it can't be that complex an operation but I don't know which screws to loosen etc etc. I've tried to search for youtube videos or repair manuals and found none. Pro-tech doesn't give me advice on the matter either but says "they think there are some videos on the net".

I should probably point out that it doesn't seem like the screws accept standard size European allens. A bit confused right now.

Any help most welcome. It's a fine knife.

Best, Thomas
sammy the blade

Re: In need of help with Godfather spring replacement

Post by sammy the blade »

Take it apart and replace the spring, it's not brain surgery! Do it while knife is open and be sure to tape the blade. It will be helpful if you could grow another arm with a hand attached. It's tricky but not impossible, I've done it quite a few times.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Hi spindizzy, good to see you back.

Your going to have to remove the screws that hold the 2 halves together. I'm not sure if that involves the screws that hold your inlays on. Carefully seperate the halves...There will be 2 springs. One under the button and the one around the pivot (broken one).

Watch this video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpI7xdaqidY The knife is different but you should get the idea of how the springs are replaced. It will be the same basically. Don't panic, your Godfather is much simpler because you don't have to deal with the safety mechanism like the knife in this video.

I'm sure you can do it.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I forgot to add that the screws are probably torx head and not a regular hex head (or Allen). Do they look more 6 sided star shaped? I don't have a Godfather so I can't tell you the exact size but Protech should be able to give you that info.

I use one of these. It covers all the knife screw sizes I have run into. You probably have something similar in Europe. https://www.amazon.com/Husky-Star-Torx- ... driver+set
spindizzy

Post by spindizzy »

Thanks a lot for the advice. No, the main screw (the one the blade rotates on) looks like a hex, as do the other screws holding the blade together. The inlays are screwed with star-shape screws (I have those tools. They are the only ones I managed to get off!)

The smaller screws look a bit rounded and the main screw doesn't fit with either of my normal size allens. No matter, I'll make do. Again, thanks.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Spindizzy,

I just got out 2 Godfathers and a Godson, and first checked the pivot screw hex socket size; it's an SAE 3/32". I'd use a new hex key on it; if the screw is really tight or thread locked, you could round out the socket if you try to turn it too hard. Knowing Pro Tech it is probably a good quality screw; it's the hex key I'd worry about. Pro Tech knives are too nice to mess up with a cheap or worn hex driver.

Also, I used to make knives of this type, and can tell you that getting them apart is a lot easier than putting them back together. The above advice about growing another arm perfectly illustrates this, and rings true. I use a jig which the frame is mounted to and contains a few clamps and other bits and pieces to hold down the right thing at the right time. For example, in my case I have have to line up the hole in the blade with the pushbutton during assembly, while they're both under partial spring tension. Something I can't (won't) do with just two hands.

I did a hasty Google search for pictures of the internal parts; found nothing. I've never taken a Godfather apart, but externally they look like the standard layout; the pushbutton's larger diameter restrains the blade, when the button is pushed down a smaller diameter section allows the blade to swing out because it is grooved to clear the button's thinner section. The spring is probably inletted half into the blade and half into the frame, with a groove in the frame to retain one spring end, and a small hole through the blade to retain the spring's other end.

As advised, disassembly is best done with the knife open (less spring tension on the blade). A Godfather blade is way too sharp and pointy to risk letting it get airborne. Be ready for something to fly off unexpectedly.

I'd strongly advise marking, drawing sketches, taking pictures, etc. during disassembly to be able to get it back together correctly. It's difficult to remember the exact sequence and orientation of every part as you disassemble it.

If you get into a jamb, maybe we could help, especially if you can supply pictures.

Best luck!

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
spindizzy

Post by spindizzy »

Thanks for the additional input. Yeah, I will take pictures, and I'll put the knife in a vise for disassembly. The smaller screws on the blade have me a little worried. They look a tiny bit rounded on the inside. Do you know the size tool for that?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

This is a super easy job. I actually did this exact thing to a GF a few weeks ago. All you need is a hex key. If you have a set, the right size will be in there. If not just take the knife to the store and check the screws there. And don't put it in a vice; there is no need to do that and it will only risk getting the handle scratched up. I do recommend sitting on the floor when you do this because the tiny pieces like to fall and get lost.

And getting it back together is really easy. There's only a few pieces. It can be a little tricky to press the handle halves together with the button & spring in place but it's not to difficult.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

So Spindizzy, tell us what happened.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

ARE THE SCREWS SAE OR METRIC ???
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I can't tell if they are SAE or metric because key set I have has both kinds and they aren't labeled. One thing you can do is take the knife to the hardware store and check it on the keys to see which one fits.
spindizzy

Post by spindizzy »

tr4252 wrote:So Spindizzy, tell us what happened.

Tom
I have yet to get any springs but I think I'll order a slew from knifekits. It'll be a lot cheaper than the US freight plus I can get some replacements for my other knives if they break.