Switchblade collection in California

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Flicknifer

Switchblade collection in California

Post by Flicknifer »

I live in PA where it is legal to own a switchblade as a curio. I have a pretty large collection (approx 80) ranging in sizes from minis to 18". I am planning on moving to California where switchblades are legal as long as they don't exceed 2".

Does anyone know if this law applies only to carry? If so is it still legal to have a collection like mine if it stays at home?

Thanks.
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
ILikeStilettos

Re: Switchblade collection in California

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Duh, just keep your mouth shut.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

ILikeStilettos wrote:Duh, just keep your mouth shut.
Thanks for the advice but it doesn't answer my question.
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Flicknifer wrote:
ILikeStilettos wrote:Duh, just keep your mouth shut.
Thanks for the advice but it doesn't answer my question.
Then let me put it another way. You think you'd be the only collector in California? Or Washington, as far as that goes?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

No, it's not going to be legal there but I think God will overlook it. Just don't get caught there with those weapons of mass destruction. But I could be wrong, too bad j-man isn't around anymore, he would know for sure.
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The 2 inch restriction only applies to a switchblade that is carried. You can legally own all the autos you want as a collection. You are not supposed to buy them or give them to another person. That said, in recent years, I have seen the enforcement of switchblade laws greatly diminish. I live in San Francisco. I can go 2 blocks and buy all the Milanos I want (and I don't), go 5 blocks and find and assortment of American autos plus some Frank B stilettos, or if I travel to LA where I can go to Ross Cutlery and buy almost anything. The point is be careful and don't give the powers that be any reason to look for things to bust you on.
sammy the blade

Wow, I thought brushing your teeth was illegal in California. You can't buy them legally so how are you supposed to get them, barter maybe or is it an under the table sale?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The knives I spoke about being for sale are not under the table. They are in display cases and can be clearly seen by shoppers. Add to that, Ross Cutlery is next door to the world famous Bradbury Building that houses the Los Angeles Police Department CID. Ross was actually in the Bradbury Building for many years before moving next door to get more room. Cops of all ranks come and go all day.

If you are a jerk with a switch and behave in jerk fashion, they will enforce the law accordingly. If you behave in civilized fashion, you are pretty safe from prosecution.
sammy the blade

They are now legal in Indiana but I don't carry them. Number one I don't use a nice knife for edc. Number two if I have to open a knife fast I can do it faster with most manual opening knives that I own. Number 3 if I have to pry or use as a screwdriver I'd rather ruin a $20 dollar knife over something expensive any day of the week.
Last edited by sammy the blade on Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

Thanks for all the constructive advice. I really don't know why some people felt they had to have an attitude about my question, which I asked honestly. We're here to discuss a mutual love for autos and I had a legitimate concern. I wanted to be able to keep my collection and needed friendly advice.

Thanks again for those who gave me good input.