clean/repair advice

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
greggo

clean/repair advice

Post by greggo »

Hey guys. I'm about to pick up a vintage hammer brand cracked ice from a friend that is all there full blade, lock works tight lock up etc.. except when fired it just releases. No snap no lock up. The spring is not broken off it's just a little lazy. Also, it needs a good cleaning on the metal surfaces.
Does anybody know if it is fixable? A do it yourself or can it be sent to a reliable knifesmith for repair and cleaning. Any help much appreciated. Thanks! Greggo
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Because I am not quite as learned as most of the experts that consult this site, I can only pass on a valuable website that was referred to me by 'jim d'. Go to: forums.delphiforums.com/knife101
...this is an excellent site for anyone who is willing to invest time into old treasures. It gave me the inspiration to go out and buy a Dremel tool and some scale materials....I plan to start out slow by fabbing up some new scales on balisongs (the Pacific style combo-edge balis on PVK with the cheap plastic inserts). Pay special attention to Lesson #1. You may end up tearing the entire piece down. Good Luck.

Mike
switch67

Post by switch67 »

Hi Greggo, Congrats of getting yourself a vintage piece of american history :D Sounds like your spring needs a little "tweaking". I have some experience with the Hammer/Imperials and find about 50% I run into need some sort of easy repair.First try taking a needlenose plier and grasp the tip of the spring and gently bend it outward.Try getting the tip of the spring even with the liner,this should greatly improve it's kick.I also suggest a good oiling of the blade pin.Another common problem is a worn button.If when you press the button and it feels like it's rubbing on the blade and slowing down the action...then your button needs to be replaced.
To shine up the top & bottom bolsters you can use simichrome,maas,polish to bring them back to life.A dremel or wizzard rotarty tool makes it very easy with quick results,but you can also accomplish this by hand.
Hope this helps some.

jim d,

Post by jim d, »

greggo,

Consider yourself fortunate that switch67 is advising you. Follow his instructions as he is quite the master in that arena. To see some fine examples, visit his website at http://community-2.webtv.net/d0gx3/TheS ... adeMuseum/

Jim
greggo

Post by greggo »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the come back. I think I'll go ahead and tinker with it. I own several new items from Renza and one from Tiny (thanks for all your help Tiny!) but I'm really getting interested in the vintage push buttons. Thanks again Greggo