Latama Switchblade quesions

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
robar67

Latama Switchblade quesions

Post by robar67 »

I have an old Latama switchblade that has been sitting in my gun safe and forgotten about for years, I know nothing about these and wanted to know if anybody knows if this is a good one.
Attachments
blade2 001.JPG
blade2 001.JPG (105.52 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
blade2 003.JPG
blade2 003.JPG (116.96 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
latama 001.JPG
latama 001.JPG (95.86 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
whippersnapper

Re: Latama Switchblade quesions

Post by whippersnapper »

Looks good to me!
john

Post by john »

I agree with whippersnapper. It's a good one; any Latama is a good one. For some collectors having the Latama stamp on a knife in their collection is like having the Holy Grail. It's a well-known stamp. This brand of knife is made of quality materials. It's a keeper.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks like a winner to me and probably is worth 10 times what you paid for it.
2024 candidate for president
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That;s a great knife.

It does seem like the pivot pin (the one that attaches the blade to the handle) might be a replacement. It could just be an illusion caused by the pics but the head of the pin on the back seems like it might not be an original and I think I see cutting marks above it (from removing the original pin). On the other hand, the knife looks pretty good so I don't know what work would have been done, so maybe it is the original pivot.

I also notice the safety cap is missing. You might want to consider sending it to one of the Latama-fixers to replace that. It's definitely worth the investment.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Nice looking Stiletto .... although the pivot pin Jimbrown mentions does look to be tampered with(smashed)and not brass as I believe it should be (but may be wrong ??) one shouldn't always assume its been replaced , I`ve tapped on a few original pivot pins to snug up that blade and have had people say " that pins been replaced " BS :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They were made with both brass and steel pivot pins.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I can repair your knife for you. I am the only factory authorized Latama repairman in the world.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Good looking knife with a vintage stamp. Definitely worth having Bill take a look at it for you.
DonC
robar67

Post by robar67 »

Thank you all for more info on the Latama! It was given to me from a German business associate of my fathers when I was a kid (1978). My father wisely put it up in the gun safe so I would not hurt myself with it. I found it a few days ago, had forgot all about it.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Gorgeous Latama, It's probably worth around $250, the market is down and a lot of people own Latamas that want them. Still, a Cadillac of knives and wonderful piece. This tang stamp is known as block stamp / block Lettering I think. Also, it is missing its original safety cap. Dan
Belmont800
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Cadillac? More like '57 Chevy .... or vintage Corvair
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
lance

Post by lance »

Yes sir you have a desirable knife there.I agree w/john,belmont worth 250. Some guys go nuts over em.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

i have to disagree with 250 bucks as ive personally seen 11" Latamas go for over 1500 bucks so you never can tell what your knife will sell for it all depends who wants it or needs it and what they are willing to pay , with the safety cap soldered back on (which looks like only problem) you may have a 1000 dollar knife or you may have a 500 dollar knife . if the knife was given to you by a friend i would leave it "as is" and keep it as it will only increase in value the longer you hold on to it but if you do decide to get it fixed it dont matter who does the repair work for you (as long as its done correctly) it will increase value of the knife.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

METALGOD wrote:i have to disagree with 250 bucks as ive personally seen 11" Latamas go for over 1500 bucks
When was that?
Belmont800