CA Legal Auto Recommendations? Pics added 1/23

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Furcs

Re: CA Legal Auto Recommendations?

Post by Furcs »

Pima Pants wrote:If you end up with one without a safety, buy a large pair of deer skin or elk skin gloves and cut off one of the fingers. Instant sheath for pocket carry. Plus you will have 9 pocket sheaths left.
Ha! If I end up with one without a safety I may end up only needing gloves with only nine fingers anyway! But honestly to me the idea of a pocket knife, especially an auto, is it's easy to get out and open, and for me any (especially a folding) knife in a sheath, PLUS then in a pocket, kind of defeats the whole purpose of that.

Here's my CA woody, at least that's what they used to be called : https://www.google.com/search?q=califor ... kHz6wcM%3A ...... shown on the top row far left, and also top row 2nd from right, and I guess they now are sometimes called Almond.

To be fair, I like it. It's cheap but not a bad knife at all. And it doesn't just open on it's own, but since the button release is far from being 'recessed' it gets depressed, accidentally, by hitting keys, coins, whatever, and that's when I reach in and get a surprise. I realize no safety or release is fool-proof, but that's what I'm trying to avoid and still wondering if the recessed button on something like the Runt or Kershaw Launch make that big a difference.

For me, right now it's a matter of weighing what I want vs what I can afford, and Christmas season makes it tough, right? I love the Runt, Launch, Lerch too, so to give me something from Santa I did order a Schrade but see more in my future when I can afford it. All wonderful knives, probably more out there I don't even know about, and this little excitement I'm feeling about ordering reminds me of what knives, collecting, and this great forum is all about.

Thanks so much for all your feed back, I really appreciate it, and hope you're all having a wonderful Christmas day.
Last edited by Furcs on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

fastr19 wrote:This is a nice knife.
http://www.bladeops.com/ProTech-Automat ... -s/200.htm
Hey they are good looking. Guess I have missed these in the Pro-tech line up... I wasn't aware of ones with safeties. 8)
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

whippersnapper wrote:
Hey they are good looking. Guess I have missed these in the Pro-tech line up... I wasn't aware of ones with safeties. 8)
These were just released.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

As scary sharp as the Protechs are I am surprised all their knives don't have safeties.
I never owned a Protech but have handled them and the edge is crazy sharp. :shock:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

A fellow collector once remarked regarding his ProTech Godfather that it is the only knife in his entire collection that he actually fears. Come to think of it, my ProTech Godfather is the only knife in my entire collection that I actually fear.

Jim
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

That's a VERY nice knife, and I like the sliding safety on the side of the handle a a lot. Reminds me of the safety on the Gerber I have.
My Schrade came in today's mail and I'm real happy with it. Solid, razor sharp, and tight lock-up for sure. Safety is a little stiff but I'm sure it will loosen up, and I for the cost I think it's a steal. I'm very happy to have it, and thanks a lot for all the recommendations.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Where did you end up finding the Schrade? All the places I looked were out of stock.
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

After a lot of searching, coincidentally it was: http://www.bladeops.com/Schrade-Extreme ... sch50a.htm
for $35. It is a SC50A, and I'm not sure it there's a difference from SC50.
I tried to order on their website on the evening of Dec 22nd but for some reason it didn't go through, so I called it in the next morning and the guy in customer service was excellent and it shipped that same day, and I got a confirmation an tracking # right away. All orders ship free and if wasn't for the Christmas holiday it probably would have been two day arrival.
Very impressed with Bladeops, and if the 'good guys' list is ever updated, my experience is very positive .
Again, Mr whippersnapper, I could not be happier with this knife. GREAT knife, great quality. Thanks.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Bladeops is an excellent site and if you like Microtechs, its a great place to look.
Furcs

Re: CA Legal Auto Recommendations? New Knife Pics

Post by Furcs »

20170116_132039_resized (1).jpg
20170116_132039_resized (1).jpg (166.75 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
20170116_131810_resized.jpg
20170116_131810_resized.jpg (148.52 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
20170116_131726_resized.jpg
20170116_131726_resized.jpg (189.57 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
Well, I ended up overdoing it. After I bought the Schrade I kept looking at the Protech and the Benchmade... and you know how that goes, and I really love all three. The Prothech Calmigo seems to have nudged its way into an almost permanent home in my pocket. Such quality, has some weight to it, and I especially love the recessed firing button and the longer handle with an index finger handle-notch. That Schrade is one hell of a knife, especially for the price and if the Protech isn't in my pocket, the Schrade is. The Benchmade Impel 'Gentleman's Knife' (the most expensive) seems to fit the description, I guess, and certainly is a nice little knife but very little 'heft' to it and seems smaller and lighter than it probably really is...so maybe I'll save that for those rare occasions I feel like a gentleman. Anyway, all high quality knives for sure. All razor sharp, tight, quick opening, and solid in every way including the safety's. All three safety's lock tight open and closed, and move with the appropriate amount of pressure....not too hard, not too easy. Just what I was hoping for.
Sorry about the pics, I know they're not good and took a while to figure out how to post and all. The odd knife at the bottom of each picture is my Kershaw Scallion just for size comparison.
Again, thanks for all your advice.
Attachments
20170116_131947_resized.jpg
20170116_131947_resized.jpg (130.15 KiB) Viewed 3198 times