Two Old German Springers

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
preachere

Two Old German Springers

Post by preachere »

New member trying to find out about some knives. I purchased a small collection a few months ago and these two springers were in the mix.
Springers-1.jpg
Springers-1.jpg (290.49 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Springers-2.jpg
Springers-2.jpg (280.44 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Springers-3.jpg
Springers-3.jpg (150.41 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Springers-4.jpg
Springers-4.jpg (138.98 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
The one with the stag horn scales is a Bonsa and works pretty well, although if it were cleaned up and possibly had the spring replaced it would be scary! The other one is a Kuno Ritter and the spring is broken in half, with half the spring missing altogether. I have seen prices all over the board for these, from $200 on up for a pair like these. If I'm smoking crack please let me know nicely. Anyway, these are what I have and any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Eric
redeye

Re: Two Old German Springers

Post by redeye »

I know little to nothing really about the German stuff but congrats on scoring anything with a spring in it lol . Did ya get any Italians in the mix haha and welcome to the forum.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Very nice score! Full blades, excellent scale condition those jewels are begging to be restored....I think we might know a guy 8)

Welcome to the forum.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Great springers preachere 8)
Are these 11cm closed?
I love both ....nice bail on the bonsa and ive never seen a ritter for sale in my short collecting span ,but i love its metal scales ,Would like to see the blade stamp if you get a chance.
Id gladly pay 200 dollars for those 2 and just lately anything that springs is going up in price this side of the pond.
Id send them to Mr de shivs for a makeover ,id wager they would come up like new .
Congrats on these and welcome.
Good hunting in the future

Ian
preachere

Post by preachere »

Sorry for not responding sooner guys, I thought I had notifications set up so that I knew when someone responded to my post.

This was most of the haul I purchased. As you can see, there were two Italian switchblades in the mix, but they were sold to a friend who likes that sort of thing.

I still have some things left from that buy. I also have a lead on a bayonet collection in Michigan that is said to have 1000 bayonets in it. The largest bayonet collection I purchased prior was about 100 bayonets.

Closed length of both Springers is 4 1/2".

Thank you for the warm welcome, I truly appreciate it.

Regards,
Eric
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Did you happen to see the tang stamps on the two Italians? I ask because there is a lot of high quality merchandise here and the Italians may have been vintage and worth a lot of money.

Love the German daggers. Could you give us the run-down on the pistols? Many of us here are gun nuts as well as knife nuts 8)
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Preachere
Is that a nazi SS dagger with the black wooden handle?

What maker is as thats a fairly rare and valuable knife .
Its one of my dream German knives ,and the SA daggers look in lovely condition aswell .Would like to know the makers or RZM marks on them and if the Rohm inscription survived the grinder If they are Rohm examples.

The guns are beauties ,couple of S&W and nice little pockets from the 1880s onwards.
Would love a rundown on them if you get time .....glad you joined and thanks for sharing these .
I miss my guns .

Regards
Ian
preachere

Post by preachere »

Viking- I don't recall the stamps on the Italians and I'm certain that I sold them for less than they were worth, but seeing as they went to a friend of mine I'm sure I'll get it back when karma visits next. :)

The pistols were a mix of Iver Johnson Model 3, a S&W Model 1 1/2, Harrington & Richardson top break, Forehand & Wadsworth "Bulldozer", a few generics, and a Beretta Model 418.

Gravknife- I will get a run down on the SS for you specifically in the next day or so with pictures. One of the SA daggers is original pre-war (sold already), and the other is a B&A post-war souvenir put together- still neat, just not highly collectible. The original SA was not a ground Rohm; maybe someday I will come across one, you never know.

I found that I had already taken some pictures of the SS so here ya go!

The III District was the Berlin District, as there were only three districts where SS daggers were awarded/presented. I've always loved the Klaas Kissing Cranes logo, don't know why.

Regards,
Eric
Last edited by preachere on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I am a big fan of Robert Klaas knives. German knives have the best blade stamps but some of the old American knives have very nice stamps.

A good example are the Schatt & Morgan knives made in Titusville Pennsylvania.
Attachments
S&M-1.jpg
S&M-1.jpg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
S&M-2.jpg
S&M-2.jpg (85.63 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
preachere

Post by preachere »

That first knife is a beauty!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Love the SS dagger preachere.
Its honest and how a knife should be if not kept in a drawer for 60 plus years.
Lovely etch and good handle to nickle fit .Cross graining on blade and a great maker.....who needs more.
Klaas is a great logo and where better than on an SS dagger.
Thanks for sharing these Eric.
All the best
Ian
Dave
Love those Schatt and Morgan . 8)
I hope your well my freind.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Great collection and gorgeous knives! I would be interested to know also, what stamps were on the tangs of the Italians. Best! Dan
Belmont800
preachere

Post by preachere »

Belmont- I don't recall what was on the Italians and I didn't take any pictures of those. Sorry.

Regards,
Eric
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

preachere wrote:Belmont- I don't recall what was on the Italians and I didn't take any pictures of those. Sorry.

Regards,
Eric
Eric- Sad to say my friend, most guys here are Italian stiletto and/or German lever people. Not so sad really but for those of us that appreciate all that of European steel be it blade or barrel there are some(including myself) that are curious about your Italians. Shame you didn't note the tang stamps on the Italians because you may have underestimated their value in a most regrettable fashion. True you gave them to a friend but had they been a Black Beauty, Coricama, Edwin Jay or Latama you'd have been better off giving him the guns.
Small pic but they look like a flat guard / flat button and they seem to have "short-throw" safeties....Wow! Telltale signs of vintage :shock:

The small one is almost sure a pick lock but hard to tell on the larger one. If the small one is an 8" it's fairly rare in any tang stamp, compared to the levers it may be a 7' and that's even more rare.
preachere

Post by preachere »

I have pictures from my friend of the larger knife and he's looking for the smaller one and will get me pictures of that ASAP. Only problem is Photobucket won't let me in so I can't host the pictures to share with you all. Don't know what's wrong or how to fix it. :(
Knife-1.jpg
Knife-1.jpg (94.56 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
Knife-2.jpg
Knife-2.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
Knife-3.jpg
Knife-3.jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
Regards,
Eric