Origin of the Kris switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ragtime red

Re: Origin of the Kris switchblade

Post by ragtime red »

big_slim wrote:The "Switchblades of Italy" book credits the idea for the Kris blade as coming directly from Sam. Pasquale Patrizio's signature is on the copy of the patent in the back of the book however.
The kris blade has been around for hundreds of years or longer, Sam Polk did not invent it. I stand behind what was stated in Switchblades of Italy 100%. It was Sam's idea from books he read as a kid for Latama to pursue the kris blade. The logistics of who, how, patents etc. and how it went into production have nothing to do with this fact. As also stated in the book there is no doubt that his father Jacob was the founder and driving force of Latama. Sam contributed many ideas for the gentleman folder knives as well. He was one of the most interesting people I have ever met and the literally hundreds of hours I spent talking to him will always be special to me.
Last edited by ragtime red on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

Well, the post wasn't about who invented the Kris blade, but who came up with the idea of the Kris blade switchblade. Regardless of who came up with the Italian stiletto version of the 50's, the photo I posted from the Newsletter shows a kris switchblade that is far older, according to the Newsletter it is from approximately the 1870's. Sam Polk or Pasquale or whoever may not have been aware of the earlier version(s?) of the kris switchblade but the concept certainly already existed by the time Latama and other Italian makers began making them. I was wondering mainly if Ibberson & Co. were the first to produce a Kris switchblade or if there are any even earlier versions.
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

big_slim wrote:Well, the post wasn't about who invented the Kris blade, but who came up with the idea of the Kris blade switchblade. Regardless of who came up with the Italian stiletto version of the 50's, the photo I posted from the Newsletter shows a kris switchblade that is far older, according to the Newsletter it is from approximately the 1870's. Sam Polk or Pasquale or whoever may not have been aware of the earlier version(s?) of the kris switchblade but the concept certainly already existed by the time Latama and other Italian makers began making them. I was wondering mainly if Ibberson & Co. were the first to produce a Kris switchblade or if there are any even earlier versions.
I remember the Ibberson knife in the Newsletter, and it could very well be the first auto, I don't know. My intent was that Latama was the first of post war Italian automatic knives. I'm guessing that Sam had absolutely no awareness of the 19th century automatic knife. The patent was probably an attempt to keep others from making the blades, but that evidently didn't last long. The fish knives were Sam's idea too, simply because he did see folding knives shaped like a fish. I have no idea if somebody patented that too
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

Well, like a lot of things with switchblades the story is a little mysterious I guess. Whoever came up with them it's a great idea in my opinion. It's really cool that you knew Sam personally, he sounds like an interesting guy and I'm sure had a lot of knowledge about knives and the knife business.
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

big_slim wrote:Well, like a lot of things with switchblades the story is a little mysterious I guess. Whoever came up with them it's a great idea in my opinion. It's really cool that you knew Sam personally, he sounds like an interesting guy and I'm sure had a lot of knowledge about knives and the knife business.
I should have just responded to the thread instead of quoting your post, because I was responding to a few different things that were said. You are right about the mysterious aspects, but this is definitely the behind the scenes story that doesn't show up in the paper trail. Another one that still bugs me that I brought up in the book is the square button patent. The mechanism is extremely similar the the patent Queen took out 2 years previously for their jet knife. Did 2 people come up with the same idea independently or did someone in Italy know of the American patent?? Who knows, but it helps make this stuff interesting.
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Just my observation, the Kris blade always reminded me of the "Italian Horn"
The cornuto, corno, or cornicello is an Italian amulet of ancient origin. Corno means "horn" and cornicello means "little horn" -- these names refer to a long, gently twisted horn-shaped amulet worn in Italy to protect against the evil eye. Cornicelli are usually carved out of red coral or made of gold or silver.
Attachments
642090.png
642090.png (163.77 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
Italian_Large_horn.jpg
Italian_Large_horn.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
lance

Post by lance »

ragtime red wrote:
big_slim wrote:Well, like a lot of things with switchblades the story is a little mysterious I guess. Whoever came up with them it's a great idea in my opinion. It's really cool that you knew Sam personally, he sounds like an interesting guy and I'm sure had a lot of knowledge about knives and the knife business.
I should have just responded to the thread instead of quoting your post, because I was responding to a few different things that were said. You are right about the mysterious aspects, but this is definitely the behind the scenes story that doesn't show up in the paper trail. Another one that still bugs me that I brought up in the book is the square button patent. The mechanism is extremely similar the the patent Queen took out 2 years previously for their jet knife. Did 2 people come up with the same idea independently or did someone in Italy know of the American patent?? Who knows, but it helps make this stuff interesting.
I agree red,it's not uncommon for two people to have the same idea at the same time completely unaware of each other,and just like the mystery of the square button..it's what keeps this hobby interesting and fun..I enjoy the fact that there are still mystery's and things yet to be uncovered!
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Seems strange, don't you all think that Jacob Polincovsky the Owner of Latama started getting his ideas patented as early as 1949, yet he didn't try to get a Patent on the kris blade in late 1950. If it was his son's idea, why would Jacob instead let Pasquale Patrizio obtain the Patent, and Jacob had to then have to pay Patrizio for it. Post some documents and facts and I'll listen.

And what about the fact that Coricama was also working on a switchblade with a kris blade in 1950?
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
douglip

Post by douglip »

I recently was given a coricama 11 inch with a kriss blade. It has the plastic red dot inlaid on the saftey. It is in great condition. Bee trying to get info on the year it was made and on who might have made it. The man who owned it had family that lived in Itialy. Possibly in the town where these knives were built. Still looking into that. i have learned this knife is extremely rare. Makes for a fun fact finding mission.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I think the Queen patent and the Latama square button patent are unrelated.
The latama design simply modified parts that were already being used. It really just replaces the button rocker mechanism to make the knife simpler to produce. The sear is in the same position, etc.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jaysin

Post by Jaysin »

whats not to like about them
lance

Post by lance »

Great thread!! Red i had no idea there were one off kris blade styles out there from the 19th century.
And its a real head-scratcher that the sr. Polanski would sit on a sweet Seller of a model like a kris for the better part of a decade!? You would think he would have gotten the patent pronto..but like red mentioned..it dident stay exclusive to latama for long.
Did latama farm out lrg orders to coricoma? Thats how they have. Kris too?
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

My comment was updated so that the pictures of the green bottomless kris are back.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 0&p=262079
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Krissblade

Post by Krissblade »

Kriss blades several thousand years ago were carried in India as well as Persia. They were passed down as family heirlooms.from father to son and so on. Some Kriss blades were said to have magical powers. They can be good luck or bad luck depending on the owner and the blade. Some say that if called by their true name they will stand up on end and kill at will. Master blade smiths would sometimes fuse these special blades with poison such as arsenic. Folk lore tells of the blade pointed at some one will cause death one way or another like a curse. Unless grounded by touching the blade to the earth. One story told of monks hiking out to recover a meteorite to make these magical blades which were carried for defense as well as an amulet
Krissblade

Post by Krissblade »

Here is a picture of my Kriss blade. It's made by eig cutlery and if anyone can tell me about its value then please do.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (907.26 KiB) Viewed 4601 times