Origin of the Kris switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DonC

Re: Origin of the Kris switchblade

Post by DonC »

I'm in the "interesting exercise in blade grind but don't get really excited over them" camp. I have a few but not my favorites.
Viking: My 9" Latama kriss has a 4mm blade and back spring so it's in keeping with the slightly heavier vintage builds. Feels good and solid in the hand.

DonC
john

Post by john »

Hi Dave,
I'm also going to send you the two knives in the photo below one is a 12cm and the other is a B SVOBODY 28 cm. the 38 cm B SVOBODY needed scales. I put new Brazilian horn on it. Please shine them up for me. I'll put all of them in the mail.
John
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.7 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (229.99 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

DonC wrote:I'm in the "interesting exercise in blade grind but don't get really excited over them" camp. I have a few but not my favorites.
Viking: My 9" Latama kriss has a 4mm blade and back spring so it's in keeping with the slightly heavier vintage builds. Feels good and solid in the hand.

DonC
That is a handsome knife. I like the 4mm thickness of the blade. Such a blade thickness is a good compromise between strength and slicing ability.

I would like to see these knives made in America today. I doubt that there would be many artisans that would have the patience to do so. As Bill DeShivs has said, "there are no young people that have the patience to put in on such artistic work".
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

Wow!!! Don your Latama is collector's dream come true. Did Dave aka Viking polish it for you? He offered to polish my knife for me. Back to your knife it looks like it was made yesterday. The horn is amazing and the stamp is nearly perfect.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

big_slim wrote:I just checked out your sharperdeals post, very interesting stuff. My original point mainly was that the idea of the kris switchblade seems to predate the 1950's Italian stiletto makers by many years. I was mainly wondering if the designer of the 1950's Kris blade switchblades was aware of the earlier version or possibly versions of the knife. As I say, the blade shape and design of the 50's kris stilettos is strikingly similar to the older Ibberson knife given all the possible variations of a kris style knife blade. An updated switchblade book would be most welcome :)
If you look on page 80 of the new "Latama Legend" book you will see what is truly Pasquale Patrizio's signature (in blue ink) on the application he sent when submitting his design.

If you're looking for a new book on Italian switchblades, the Latama Legend is about as close as it gets for now. (Of course "Art of the Switchblade has an amazing section on Pre-WW2 Italian switchblades). It's not just Latama, there are 10,000 other amazing pieces in there of newly discovered material and facts. You can learn new things sentence after sentence. You won't find better information on the 1940's/1950's stilettos anywhere.

Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Fantastic knives guys. John That Swing Guard Kriss looks gigantic .
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

wow, great looking knives! Nice Latama there. I'm gonna have to get a copy of the "Latama Legend" book, thanks for the info.
lance

Post by lance »

Wow donice that's a beauty!!! Is it a minty survivor? It had to have been polished up at some point.right!? It's shining like a new dimension!
And John is right on point about the new latama legend book its worth itseeing weight in gold if you're interested in learning moreally about old picklocks.
DonC

Post by DonC »

John, big_slim and Lance: Thanks for the compliments. I prefer shiny knives so I go over them with 4 micron diamond paste and a 1" felt Dremel wheel. The diamond paste does a very nice job of polishing the metal without removing a significant amount as long as I'm a little careful with it. Any nickel parts get polished with white buffing compound and usually clean up very nicely. Scales are gone over with pink scratchless on a slow speed 6" loose cotton buffing wheel.
DonC
lance

Post by lance »

DonC wrote:John, big_slim and Lance: Thanks for the compliments. I prefer shiny knives so I go over them with 4 micron diamond paste and a 1" felt Dremel wheel. The diamond paste does a very nice job of polishing the metal without removing a significant amount as long as I'm a little careful with it. Any nickel parts get polished with white buffing compound and usually clean up very nicely. Scales are gone over with pink scratchless on a slow speed 6" loose cotton buffing wheel.
DonC
Im definitely going to try that Don,Diamond paste huh? Nice.I've also seen guys using semicrome. To protect their knives.I'm goin to try your regimen with a few and see how they go.thanks don
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

I feel humbled by the blades shown here and the knowledge you guys possess.
All these knives are stunning and that swinguard John is a beauty.
Don C thanks for sharing the info on how to shine these blades, i know now why your knives always look museum quality,and have that killer shine..I love that Latama kris with pat number,its horn is brilliant,and im liking these kris blades after this thread.
Bigslim that's a real old gem you shared by Ibberson I've not seen many really old switches thanks for posting that old beauty..
Viking45
Love that snakewood example mate,it goes well with brass and a Kris blade I love that knife.
It's amazing how much eye candy can spring up from one thread,and how much you can learn.
Ian
Switch.Rick

Post by Switch.Rick »

That Renzo switch is a really nice looking piece, was that a limited run?
Just in: Three Frank B. Abalone Stilettos with custom file work.
See these and more at:
http://www.BuySwitchBlades.com
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I've been meaning to post this link for a while.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 0&p=262079

Post updated to restore the pictures.
Last edited by ILikeStilettos on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Switch.Rick wrote:That Renzo switch is a really nice looking piece, was that a limited run?
Who are you asking, and what knife are you asking about?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Rey Zhourej

Post by Rey Zhourej »

Interesting bunch of knives here! I own a fair number of auto knives but only one kris blade(I have several Kissing Crane non autos);and it has sheep horn scales.Got it from a friend of mine many years ago whose brother acquired it while stationed in Germany.
Attachments
AutoKnife 029.jpg
AutoKnife 029.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 5654 times