Unmarked, First Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
lance

Re: Unmarked, First Switchblade

Post by lance »

Yes sir
Oldreb

Post by Oldreb »

Lance & Whippersnapper, thanks for the conformation on the "D Cutout" ! I understand that this cutout helps narrow the production era - was wondering if there are other construction traits that would tie this knife to any one manufacture or locale. Two have been mentioned thus far - Maro Mario and Latama. I need to acquire some reference books to better educate myself -- any suggestions ??

Best Regards,
Wayne
DonC

Post by DonC »

Congrats on a great find. For your first you're off to a really great start.
Without some sort of marking on the knife it's extremely difficult to nail down a particular house that produced it so beyond what has been already stated you may be pretty close to the end of your tether in identifying the maker.
I agree with Lance's comment about it probably being not made for export. At least I've heard the same comment from others who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am about these knives.
When I started getting interested in these knives I was amazed at the depth of detail and history of the genre. The members of this forum and a couple of others are extremely generous in sharing their knowledge. You've found a good place to start if you want to go more deeply into the knives.
DonC
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Oldreb wrote:Lance & Whippersnapper, thanks for the conformation on the "D Cutout" ! I understand that this cutout helps narrow the production era - was wondering if there are other construction traits that would tie this knife to any one manufacture or locale. Two have been mentioned thus far - Maro Mario and Latama. I need to acquire some reference books to better educate myself -- any suggestions ??

Best Regards,
Wayne
Send me an email, Wayne, and I will send you the reference book list.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Oldreb

Post by Oldreb »

DonC, thank you for your reply ! I think you are right that there is little more that I can expect to discover as to it's origin. None the less, I am very happy with all I have been able to find out !! Is there any collector consensus (or actual production numbers) as to rather there we more Italian Switchblades produced unmarked as opposed to marked ?

Best Regards,
Wayne
Oldreb

Post by Oldreb »

Dave, I sent you an e-mail -- thanks !!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Latama was a US importer. All Latama knives are so marked.
I don't believe Mauro Mario produced knives with dovetailed kicksprings.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Oldreb

Post by Oldreb »

Bill, thank you for your reply. OK,I think I have a pretty good understanding of the type of knife I have and the era that it was produced in but I'm still uncertain as to where it was most likely produced. So, if you will, if the following statement is completly off base I would appreciate your clarification.

"I think my "non-export intended knife" possibly came from Maniago, Italy where it was assembled by local craftsmen from stamped parts with the horn grips being hand fitted and at some point it made it to America".

Thanks for your time and interest,
Wayne
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Oldreb wrote:He did a great job explaining the knife to me but I did a poor job in taking it all in -- kind of information overload.
Lol, I remember trying to comprehend the concept of a "transitional" before I had any experience with vintage picklocks like yours.
Oldreb

Post by Oldreb »

JimBrown257, thanks for your comment !! Yep, it seems that with anything I have ever collected my starting point is the realization that I know absolutely nothing and the person I am talking to knows everything at which time I start trying to catch up !! Every hobby has it's own language and standards which I enjoy learning.