Hellraiser knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Hellraiser knife

Post by gravknife »

Im posting this more in relief that I got it safely and it wasnt lost to the bin or an employees pocket. :evil:
Id just lost a lovely transitional that exactly matched my bayonet bladed example but was 8" swedge bladed.This knife also showed on tracking that it was held by customs for 5 days also.I dared not ring them so waited and got this knife late Saturday .PHEW!
I hate the fact these knives get pocketed or worst destroyed after 50 + years of life and im looking for a means of fighting them ,these will eventually be antique items amd should be listed so.
Anyway rant over ,i saved this one from the fire and im over the moon with it.Let me just get out of the way the so called flimsy construction,these arent PLPs or Latama but they ooze looks and they are pretty rare because of their build,its not the scales or blade,but the powerful spring wearing the sear pin down thats the problem.I think the blade quality is good,and they are pretty well made for a tourist piece.
This one is going down that road sadly,but it fires nicely for now.The blade was a touch wobbly but the pin just needed a tap and it locks up a bit better now.Im worried about damaging the bolsters as the rim protrusion gives less room for manoeuvre.
I love the blade release ,its the first humpback ive owned and its a nice system to use.The blade itself is full with a few sharpening scars ,and this example isnt marked INOX with pat. dates .The scales are made in one piece ,folded metal with intricate cut design and filled with false antler plastic scales which have lost paint and been touched up.The safety switch has a line down the middle of it where cast but looks cool,as do the barrel front bolster and rear,very in keeping with spanish knives ive seen before.Its missing its guards a fact I believe got me this knife cheap along with poor description and photos which hid the button.Again browsing here had taught me what to look for and the hole in the blade was there ready for guards.
I quite like it without but it wouldnt be the hellraiser knife without guards so they will go on it just dont know what they are made of,stainless or nickel.
Theres some wear to the plating around the hump and release spring but I can live with it.I have some silver plate solution but dont know if it will work yet.
The knife 9" 5eighths long and I love its design ,i never hoped to own one this side of the pond ,its my favourite looking knife so far,and im learming its nice to have quality but more importantly cool knives have their place in this hobby .I dont think the Spanish had hellraiser in mind designing these but im glad they sold them to tourists back then for us to enjoy them now.
Any comments welcomed.
Ian
Attachments
DSC_0046.jpg
DSC_0046.jpg (169.38 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg (378.78 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg (437.2 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg (417.79 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
gravknife

Re: Hellraiser knife

Post by gravknife »

Couple more shots.
Attachments
DSC_0040.jpg
DSC_0040.jpg (419.27 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg (223.32 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg (195.8 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Way cool, glad the knife sharks didn't gobble it up!
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

That looks like something Leroy Brown would slide into his back pocket for a Saturday night on the town! (Right along with that .32 gun in his coat pocket and the razor in his shoe)! :wink: :mrgreen:
Fishtail Picklock
omega

Post by omega »

Nice Score!

LOve these Spanish pieces, but just never see one when my wallet is fat enough to buy!

:mrgreen:
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks Sammy ,and Omega
I hope you find one Omega .I've been looking a lot less than yourself ill wager, but I just fell lucky ,knives find me I think.
Fishtailpicklock ,I had to look up Le roy Brown as im English.I found the song amd lyrics,and yes this would go with his hidden armoury well. 8)
Thanks for your comments ,love this knife and feel fortunate to have got it

All the best
Ian
Last edited by gravknife on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock

How would you like to see one of these recreated by Paul Panak? A Burn Knives rendition of this would make for one hell of a PP/PD piece. Make it with either a 420HC or S30V steel blade and you'd be "good to go"!

Bad to the bone! :evil:
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Fishtail
A Panak rendition would be awesome but out the reach of most knife collectors,but its okay to dream
I think one of these made by Bill or any of the great manglers here in finer quality materials would sell well and be less prone to breaking.
Its just a cool design so aesthetically pleasing.
Stainless would do with real knobbly stag and nickel guards plus a carbon blade.
Theres a knife id love to see produced.

Ian
Fishtail Picklock

There is a phrase for a knife such as this. In the street vernacular it's called, "meaner than a 'junkyard dog'". Yep, it is a nasty piece of hardware, and all business!
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Save for the locking tab on the back, it looks like something created by Due Buoi.
Fishtail Picklock
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

switchbladekits.com if you need guards for it. http://www.switchbladekits.com/index.ph ... tail&p=258
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Wicollector
Thankyou for the link.
Im not sure what the real ones were made from,or of it affects the opening.
Ive never owned a swingguard its my first.

Regards
Ian
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

the originals are steel . it shouldn't affect the opening at all if installed correctly but it will have that distinctive sound the guards make when they open . I'll install them for you for return shipping if you do end up buying the replacements for it .
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Are you in the UK wicollector?
Thanks for the offer .

Ian
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

No I'm not and I'm not sure I'd risk it if I were you but if you still want to my offer is still good just postage would cost more to return it . I could also order the guards for you to save you a few dollars seeing the seller is in the USA