Vintage Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
limabravo

Vintage Switchblade

Post by limabravo »

A friend brought me back this little switchblade from Mexico about 25 years ago. Does anyone know if there is a name for it (so I can search for others like it)?

I like these knives with the smooth plastic handles. Also, since I've been on this site, I have looked at some of the websites/auction sites that sale rizzutos, and I was wondering why they are so much money. Do they not sale similar knives in Mexico anymore? I haven't ever been to Mexico, so I don't know.

I like to collect cheap swinguard switchblades, but I like the smoother plastic handles - like the one pictured in this post or on rizzys - more than the bumpy korean ones in my other post. Does anyone know if such knives are still available in Mexico, and if they are, why can't we find them in the United States now that switchblades are legal in most states?
Attachments
mexicoswitchblade.jpg
mexicoswitchblade.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
sammy da blade

Re: Vintage Switchblade

Post by sammy da blade »

They are now legal in Indiana but none at any stores. You may see a few at some non chain gun shops and pawn shops but that's about it.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

I don't think there's anybody making/selling these anymore except on the secondary market. From what I understand they're not available in Mexico anymore either. That's why they are so expensive and relatively hard to find.
lance

Post by lance »

That's a Korean copy of a estiletto rizzuto.an odd one at that.nicem knife!!
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Lance has hit the nail on the head. It is a "different" type of stiletto with small, vestigial quillions. You won't find those everywhere.

Nice snag.
Fishtail Picklock
lance

Post by lance »

I actually have one just like that,and I also have a red scaled Korean copy like that with a window scraper lookin top bolster.estiletto rizzuto,or "rizzys" as we call em came in a dozen "different" weird sizes,shapes and different bolster styles,some had Lokal backs,weird slide buttons,and just way to much to name in this post.
But lots of auto knife collectors go nuts for these Because their vintage and rare and come in so many shapes and sizes.I'm sure several of the guys on this forum can post some really amazing stuff.
Ya just gotta keep your eyes peeled in the usual places.that and luck and you can find more of these.the fact that they weren't the best made knives to begin with.the fact that they've lasted 50 or 60 years is just amazing to me.anyways happy hunting!!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

You have one of the Ice-scrapper Rizzutos. I have one but I've only seen a few others. Is your's the 7" red one? I am pretty sure they are actually Taiwanese as those Springer boxes actually have an illustration of the Ice-Scrapper on them.

As for the Rizzutos in Mexico, I was in Tijuana about seven years ago and a few of the junk shops had them. But they were all older,used, broken ones. It was probably just what was left that no one had ever wanted to buy.
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

sammy da blade wrote:They are now legal in Indiana but none at any stores. You may see a few at some non chain gun shops and pawn shops but that's about it.

Legal in Missouri as well.

Cabellas has them in a separate drawer.....not on display.

Benchmade brand
lance

Post by lance »

Yeah Jim your absolutely right,it's the 7"red one,I'd never seen one before so I had to get it,I haven't seen one since..the variations of the rizzys,are what make them so cool.from what I've seen you have a he'll of a collection of them.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

This is Lance's pic of the red Ice-Scrapper. If anyone else has one like it, let me know. I have one and I've seen three others.
Attachments
Lance.jpg
Lance.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 5563 times