Interesting

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Interesting

Post by Viking45 »

Everyone here seems to love both traditional stilettos and modern automatics yet I find it interesting that in the years I have been here do not recall ever seeing one Masters Of Defense,Al Mar or a Dalton posted here.
Not saying they haven't been,just saying I do not recall one of these being posted.
I have the Al Mar Auto SERE but deeply regret not buying a couple of the Master Of Defense knives.

In my personal opinion I like them as much or more than a Microtech (certain models anyway). I saw them at a gun show some years ago and the quality blew me away.
Such a shame they are not around any more. Most of the MOD knives had stainless liners with aluminum scales and had premium steel blades.
Extremely well built.

Here is one of their OTF's called the Harkins Triton
I couldn't find a pic of my fave but it had the same frame as the bottom knife but it had a clip style blade(like a Buck 110)
mod-harkins-triton.jpg
mod-harkins-triton.jpg (40.1 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
mod.jpg
mod.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
gravknife

Re: Interesting

Post by gravknife »

Lovely knives, I for one didn't know they existed.
I love Al Mar knives, but never lucky enough to own one Viking.
Thanks for sharing these.
Regards Ian
john

Post by john »

Modern autos like the ones above look great and function beautifully. However, they don't do it for me.
I'll take a Italian any day over a modern day knife. I love the Italian stilettos.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

I have both of those knives and they are very well made. It is sad that the company is no longer around.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Unfortunately these are not my knives,just i-net pics I found.

This is my Al Mar Auto SERE (first production run)
Attachments
Al Mar-AutoSERE01.jpg
Al Mar-AutoSERE01.jpg (179.16 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
Al Mar-AutoSERE02.JPG
Al Mar-AutoSERE02.JPG (152.46 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
Al Mar-AutoSERE03.JPG
Al Mar-AutoSERE03.JPG (147.2 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Bad thing about nice expensive knives you kinda hate to use them, well I don't want to anyway.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
john

Post by john »

sammy da blade wrote:Bad thing about nice expensive knives you kinda hate to use them, well I don't want to anyway.

Me too. It doesn't matter what they cost so many knives are so beautiful I would have a very hard time using them.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Viking that Al Mar you have is a beauty .
I used to collect non automatics and could never get my hands on any of the AL MAR range.
There were a couple with bullet heads?in a walnut grip ,a police range I think.
How rare is the example you have? I've only seen one Al Mar non auto on German ebay it made really good money.
Thanks for posting ,I know nothing of the modern autos and want to learn.
Regards
Ian
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

They used to post a few here but you may have to go back to 2000 or so to find them.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I love that Harkins Triton but missed getting one. They sure have disappeared. Here is one I own.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

I'VE had a few benchmades but like a dumb ass I sold them. Excellent knives but I can't bring myself to use any knife, unless I bought it for $20 or less. A knife to me is like a work or art as to most people here!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

gravknife wrote:Viking that Al Mar you have is a beauty .
I used to collect non automatics and could never get my hands on any of the AL MAR range.
There were a couple with bullet heads?in a walnut grip ,a police range I think.
How rare is the example you have? I've only seen one Al Mar non auto on German ebay it made really good money.
Thanks for posting ,I know nothing of the modern autos and want to learn.
Regards
Ian
Not really sure how rare it is. It is a first Production which may make it a little more desirable.
When I ordered it years ago I thought I was getting a polished blade with red print but received the black instead.

I have seen the SERE in manual and it has stainless liners with some kind of plastic scales,like to get one some day.

Fastr's SERT is awesome,that has some wicked looking serrations,very aggressive.
I like the lock too,mine doesn't have one.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Viking
Thanks for reminding me of these.
In the 90s i had many folders and fixed blades Buck screaming eagle,scrade a lyle folder in mop,kershaws,spyderco police and many multi blade bokers in cases,plus a lovely David Yellowhorse.All sold to fund my American civil war pistols era.
I was interested in AlMar but they were hard to find in England,the fixed blade knives were by AlMar were also beautiful.I wish i knew then about these autos though as again its doubtful to find them here.
The one fastr posted is a beauty,im well into Italan Switchblades now and must not stray from my path too much but if one came along ;)
It was leverlock first ,then I got the transitional now I have seen these beauties.........What a dangerous place for the wallet:)

Take care mate.
Gravknife
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

When I first learned how to use the internet around 2000 the first thing I did was kook for switchblade knives.
The next decade was spent buying and more buying.
I said to myself many times I would never sell any of my knives but I have sold about 1/3 of my collection,mostly the more rare and collectible knives to pay bills,vehicle repairs,tools and help fund another hobby of guitars and amplifiers.

At this point the only knives I see myself buying in the future would be something more useful than an Italian stiletto....however I do hope to get Ron (StrayDog) to do some customs for me. I have some ideas I hope to see come to life.
I also have several customs from Bill. My customs will never be sold.
Some of my regrets are selling my two Russian Ladyas,Hubertus Guardian with exquisite stag,a Weidmannsheil lever and a AGA Campolin Catalana with the most gorgeous stag I have ever seen. Those have curved handles and the stag was what some have called "popcorn" and it was flawless on both sides with a very fast snap and solid lock up.
Sold quite a few others but those are ones I will miss the most.

One last note-Yes this hobby can be addictive and money can go quickly. In my first few years on the i-net I had no self discipline,I bought everything sharp and shiny.

Here is a pic of the Weidmannsheil when I first bought it years ago and the two wood scaled knives at the bottom are the Russian Ladya's and I sold the 15" AGA to Al (Vagrant) several years ago.
0weidmann02.jpg
0weidmann02.jpg (215.11 KiB) Viewed 5741 times
0dscn0018b.jpg
0dscn0018b.jpg (397.33 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

I have a Ralph Wilson stiletto style auto, colors are kinda funky, but I traded off my itialians, some smith& wessons and some boker ak47 and it for a pistol at the local pawn shop. I went back a week later and they had $35 on it so I bought it back.