Interesting

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: Interesting

Post by Viking45 »

If I had the cash I would buy back a few knives. Those AGA Catalana's are superb Italian knives and that Weidmannsheil was pretty incredible too.
It was one of the silkiest opening/closing switchblade I have ever owned.
Italian stilettos make a loud snap,the German lever made a very light metallic "tink" sound.
Maybe I will find another some day.
Rave

Post by Rave »

I just returned my Ultra-tech to it's original box as I didn't want to scratch it,too nice so my Lightening is back in service. Ho-hum.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Rave wrote:I just returned my Ultra-tech to it's original box as I didn't want to scratch it,too nice so my Lightening is back in service. Ho-hum.
Nothing wrong with a Lightning,I have had one for a couple years and it has never failed.
I am not a Star Wars fan but the new Storm Trooper Ultratech is pretty cool. All white with black detail,even the blade is white with some stone wash flat areas.
Attachments
microtech-storm-trooper-1221-1st-cm-large.jpg
microtech-storm-trooper-1221-1st-cm-large.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Beautiful knives Viking!
The only good thing about losing knives,is you just have to replace them with more knives,and at least you had the pleasure of owning the lost ones,we are all just caretakers of these things anyway.
Great hubertus and the scales are a great colour ,and love the blade length and shape.
Love the little multiblade.Who made that?
How were the Russian knives ,the levers at the bottom?I havnt met Russians yet, I nearly bought one from Michaelz a beauty, but I was as you say buying everything and anything, plus the wife had logged into Paypal:/
In England its a risky buisness buying knives especially autos ,and theres no dealers to buy from, it was France and Germany ebay or bust.:)
Thanks for sharing these knives Viking and for getting back to me on previous posts since I started.
Sammy, id be dangerous in American pawnshops ,especially qith guns as I love them as much as knives ,glad you got the knife back mate.
Take care

Gravknife
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

I won that knife on auction for $105 and I couldn't resist the price they had on it.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks Gravknife- The knife in the pic with leaves is a German made Weidmannsheil. It has red bone scales and is the same length as Bill's large Leverlettos.
As for the Russian knives,I have never held or fired a faster,harder hitting switchblade ever. It takes effort just to close the blade.
They have a powdered metal blade of outstanding quality but one of our members here tried to disassemble one or something to that nature and the frame was made of pot metal and broke during the process. The scales were just plain oak with almost no grain,at least nothing like American oak.
They feel very solid and lock up like a fixed blade and have a nice heft.
If these knives had a stainless or even aluminum frames they would be one of the best autos out there.(in my opinion)

The three blade number is a Speed Hunter by AKC in dark horn. Awesome knife,I will take some better pics of it so you can see the details.
The others are AGA fish pick locks,three Mikov's and the dark horn lever by the Russians is also an AKC.

I must say the USA is a great place to be,there are five gun shops/pawn shops and a Bass Pro Shop within a mile of where I live and two more in less than two miles. This is a "knife poor" town,very few shops carry high quality knives for some reason. Thank God for the internet.
http://www.basspro.com/
However don't get me wrong,I have dreamed of seeing England and the rest of the UK most of my life.
If I had the chance to see England I would begin by traveling the countryside and seeing small towns and villages rather than going straight to London.
Love to travel the winding roads on motorcycle. Same goes with much of Europe.

I most likely will never get an opportunity to see England but if you ever cross the pond mate we will have a pint or two and talk knives and guns.
Maybe Sammy will loan me the money 8)

Here is another knife I sold a while back. A 13" AGA Campolin swing guard with nickle bolsters. It was a beast and had a very distinct sound when that 6 inch blade snapped open.
Attachments
0aga_13ab.jpg
0aga_13ab.jpg (290.55 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Viking
That's a great swinger,I love the stag scales and I'll bet it sounded nice.I like the bayo blade as well,it suits this large knife .
Your welcome to have a few pints if you ever make it to England,i live in Warrington a town between Liverpool and Manchester.There's plenty countryside and history here and you must see Wales and Scotland.
I'd love to drive across the US in a camper van from coast to coast ending in California,I like all history and weapons especially American guns of old which I had many,love to visit the Smithsonoian as well .
I've loads of weapons from tomahawks to Samurai swords ,german daggers gravity knives,but no one nearby shares my interests.I also collect medals from Victorian times ,I write about most of the collections in journals,Samurai swords were my favourite until I watched the outsiders and a particular video of shellpullers being flicked on YouTube.That changed everything,I was hooked.
Thanks for sharing the great pictures ,they are great learning tools for newbies such as myself.I value your opinion on my knives.
Nice to talk to a fellow knife enthusiast and keep in touch.
I saw a post on a khukuri you had but didn't see the picture,I have some nice ones from 1920 and 1940 and know a bit about them great blades.....in the right hands deadly.
I won't go on now mate take care

Regards
Gravknife