What switch has the best acoustics?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

floater,

"I've never heard a switch I didn't like. - Will Rogers"

If I remember correctly what was printed on my 3rd grade lunchbox, I believe it was Roy who said that. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

The Paragon conversion Buck 110 is the sharpest no-messing-around-opening knife I have.
It is so fast that the button-click and the lockup snap seem to happen at the same time.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

No contest..... 11 inch swinger ...a polyphonic symphony.... one of my swingers is very quick for an 11...as fast as any of the stilettos despite having a much heavier blade to throw out....AND it does it without having it's spring poking out of the handle..... something I wish they would ALL adopt.....(I haven't got any of the smaller ones so can't include them)...... with a 15 inch stiletto bringing up the rear with the nice "thu-wack" ...... the bigger 18 goes more "ka-chunk" with a little less musicality...

Best wishes
Teddy
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Ditto Mr.Teddy,I agree with thee! :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
floater

Post by floater »

Mr. Falcon.
You are responsible for my starting out the day with the thought of Roy Rogers whippin' out some big ol' honkin' stiletto to confront a bad guy.
Thank you very much for that!!! It's gonna be a great day! :lol:

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

The eleven inch swing guard has that great ratcheting sound similar to cocking the hammer on a Colt single action. My second favorite after that one is my 11 cm Hubertus leverlock with red micarta scales. The blade is not as tight as hubies usually are and, when fired, it shoots open so hard that the back spring actually resonates for a tenth of a second. In addition to the regular hubie 'snick' you get a cool resonant 'dooonk' to go with it.
Milu

Post by Milu »

All autos seem to have individual voices but two of mine sing. One is an Italian stiletto of unknown make that unlocks from the opening button, it makes a double click on opening. The other is a bit out of place in this forum...a first run auto Al Mar cigar cutter, typical little dog with a big bark.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I have a few 10" Hubertuses (known to collectors as "Big Hubies"). The open with a hollow metallic WHACK! Not only do they make a sound of authority, they give your wrist a distinct jolt. They are the S&W 629 4" barrel .44 Mag. of the switchblade world. It's a real shame that the new German law prohibits Hubertus from making them anymore. All The Best, JB
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Too hard to limit to just one.
The Big Daltons open hard and I swear I can almost hear a "swoosh" as the big blade opens up. :twisted:

For the italians, I have to go w/ the leverletto and theOldfashioned. I would describe that sound as "sly" subtle, but distinct. No mistaking it for anything but a switch being opened. I would recognize the sound in my sleep.

Others of note... The mikov I got from Tanto, w/ the much aplauded stronger spring. It hits hard.

and the loudest Ihave is the ladya.

To add to the shotgun, Colt description, I would add the ratcheting sound of a BIG Navaja. Very Distinct and very disconcerting if you aint the one doing the opening.
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Image Mr.Benny,especially the racheting sound of one this size.You can hear it 2 streets away on a quiet dark night! :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
poorbs

Post by poorbs »

Kid,

You talkin' bout the blade or the hip fiddle? And by the way, is that guitar (or dobro) a switch, and if so does the neck come straight out the top or out the side :lol:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

John Brown,

I agree regarding the Big Hubies. Last Summer, mr_edge and I had a thread going about them. The message: great knives, get some before the prices go through the ceiling.

Jim
cam

Post by cam »

This seems like a good way to introduce myself. I find the that the knife which produced the best sound when opend is the Microtech Scarab. It's like a little symphony. When you push the firing button up there is sharp click when the spring is released. Metal slides against metal as the blade rises. The hiss is interrupted by the sharp cha-chink! as the blade locks into place. It's a loud locking noise that demands attention. And then comes the sweet hum of the vibrating spring- so soft, so gentle. Beautiful...

-Cam
butch

Post by butch »

I miss that sound,I definatly want another scarab,maybe some day :roll:
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Im with all you people who said their swing guards make the coolest clicking sound, I feel the same way about my 11" FB swinger. I also feel the same way about the sound of air being sucked into BB Chevys as stated by Falcon, and the sound of the safety on an AK47 as stated by Vagrant. Im sure Wally and Bonzo are very familiar with this.
blackjack