Original Black Beauty

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Flicknifer

Original Black Beauty

Post by Flicknifer »

Sorry if this subject came up before. I was wondering if we knew positively what type of knife was selling as the famous Black Beauty back in the 50's. Was it the Mauro Mario, Latama, or several different companies?

Is anyone on this forum that had actually purchased one of these knives back then and can confirm?

I don't know why I need to know this except that I would love to own an authentic Black Beauty.
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Original Black Beauty

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They weren't Latamas.
Several people have said their orders came through as Mauro Marios.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Flicknifer wrote:I would love to own an authentic Black Beauty.
You are not alone,so would every other knife collector 8)
I am not the "Company Expert" but the real knife offered with the Black Beauty stamp is super rare and from the little knowledge I have gained here from the real experts is that it is one of the rarest.

Please correct me if I am wrong here but it seems a few years ago someone was saying only a small number of Black Beauties are documented to have survived.
Most were carried,used,ground down and when the novelty wore off put in a drawer,toolbox or lost to time.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

A different assumption is that many were shipped unmarked as such.
People have reported MMs, "Made in Italys", etc. being shipped.
There are only a small number of MARKED Black Beauties known.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

And there are many counterfeits.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

There are some contemporary "Black Beauties" and so marked, created by George Cameron, who owns the trademark. But his are obviously different that the old rare one.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

ILikeStilettos wrote:There are some contemporary "Black Beauties" and so marked, created by George Cameron, who owns the trademark. But his are obviously different that the old rare one.
Hi Dave. Can you shed some more light on George Cameron actually owning the name Black Beauty.
I first heard this about George many many years ago, if he had the trademark, did he keep renewing it?
Is there truth to this or is it more "Urban Legend."

I just searched the USPTO and came up empty. Seems there are tons of Trademarked names "Black Beauty."
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I heard it direct from George and he said there was an issue with Disney, but since his was knives and theirs was horses it went through. He typically poses them with an upright minaturized poster of RWAC in lucite. Suggest you ask him direct.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

George got his trademark many years ago. They have to be renewed every 5 years or so.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Thanks Dave and Bill. It certainly would be neat to see his paperwork. I'm not doubting GC.
But I didn't even see it in the dead Trademarks.

I wonder if it lapsed??
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You can see mine on my website.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Bill DeShivs wrote:George got his trademark many years ago. They have to be renewed every 5 years or so.
I just looked at yours. Thanks it's cool to see!
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

They certainly look to be made by MM but there were a lot of co operative ventures during that time in Italy , for the most part the only notable detail was a number stamped on the inner liner and narrow elongated locktab. Just a typical 50s stiletto . Heres one I had http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23319
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Great thread. The Black Beauty made knives were mid to late 1950's stilettos. They certainly were not made by the Latama group nor the Coricama group.

It has only been in since 2012, that historically accurate and definitive information on Latama (and Italian switchblades in general) has been located and Official Production records show that Latama was getting out of switchblades by the fall of 1951, after they introduced to their line of switchblades, the kris blade and the Latama Square buttons. (In 1954 NY state banned them so Latama would have been done by 1954 had they not gotten out on their own earlier). It was claimed (wrongly so and with zero facts or documents) that Latama imported knives up until the 1958 ban. That's 100% false; they were getting out at the beginning of the decade due to changes in the sales focus of the Latama company. So Latama was out of the switchblade game well before Florida Imports (the company that sold the Black Beautys) started selling the Black Beautys in the back of four men's magazines; Field and Stream, Argosy, True and Outdoor Life.

I'd sure love someone to produce a book on the Black Beauty story and its history.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

So Latama got out in 1951? I thought they continued production until 1954?