Original Black Beauty

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
orangeboy

Re: Original Black Beauty

Post by orangeboy »

Latama would have sold them until the 1954 ban, but production didn't run up until 1954.

After September of 1951, Latama ordered nearly zero switchblades for the rest of 1951 and in 1952 only about 1000 switchblades TOTAL were ordered by Latama. Production records indicate no new Latamas were made from Pasquale Patrizio's Cutlery factory after mid-1952.

In 1952 Latama and Ethan Products Inc (Ethan 1953) were nearly the same company (by the mid 1950's in fact they consolidated into the same company with B&B Imports too) and Ethan along with Latama had signed a contract with Co.Ri.Ca.Ma. so they would have been getting Ethan 1953 knives in 1953 and 1954, rather than Latamas.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Very interesting and it surprises me how many have survived considering that many were no doubt broken, crushed or sent to the smelter.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

see post below...
Last edited by orangeboy on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Panzerfaust wrote:Very interesting and it surprises me how many have survived considering that many were no doubt broken, crushed or sent to the smelter.
I understand, but....I find it surprising how so FEW have survived and how so FEW are known to collectors.

I would guess only about 2000-3000 Latamas have been accounted for by U.S. Collectors. ll bet there are roughly 45,000 Latamas unaccounted for right now.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Recently with the news that many more Latamas were made than in collectors hands, it seems everyone is trying to cash in. Offers of Latamas have multiplied, prices have dropped radically. I have two to sell for a friend in the $600 plus range (no doubt where he bought them) but the current market is less than half that. Another friend concluded that this is the golden time for a young collector to buy them, regardless of price, expecting that prices will stabilize and go back up. He predicts that in a decade, when the knives fail to reappear, they will be even more expensive than before. The numbers don't tell the whole story. Many were destroyed by mom's and teachers and youthful abandon. Many rusted or got bug bitten in drawers and tool boxes and got tossed in the garbage years ago. Some bought them as pocket or utility knives and they, not being the strongest or most functional of knives, were used up. Some used in petty crimes were destroyed rather than found as evidence. It's never been a question of how many were made. It's been an overestimation of the percentage that survived. Unless someone recognises collector value decades before the items become popular and has the means to hold, store, and carefully protect the ravages of time provide a highly effective purge. The old makes way for the new.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Good post Dave. Here is another thing to ponder: Many Latamas (and other brands) are still hidden away and are still surfacing every day. It's not like the 1958 and 1959 Les Paul guitars where they have serial numbers and all but a few are accounted for. New knives surface all the time.

Ten years ago, many in the hobby (with zero facts) thought Latama Square buttons were prototypes and only a dozen or two were made. We have now proven this Square button prototype myth to completely wrong. Every years since I started collecting seriously, a new Square button has turned up at the rate of about one per year. Many thought only 24 were made, and now there are more than 24 known in the hands of collectors. In fact a new 7" model was just discovered a month ago. And I'm sure more sill surface over time.

My point is, many new treasures are still hidden and will still surface one day. So rarity is relative. Many of the best and rarest old Italian switchblades from the late 1800s are just being discovered over 100 years later. So collect what you like and do your research

8)
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

orangeboy wrote:
Panzerfaust wrote:Very interesting and it surprises me how many have survived considering that many were no doubt broken, crushed or sent to the smelter.
I understand, but....I find it surprising how so FEW have survived and how so FEW are known to collectors.

I would guess only about 2000-3000 Latamas have been accounted for by U.S. Collectors. ll bet there are roughly 45,000 Latamas unaccounted for right now.

I don't disagree and I didn't mean to imply that a large number have survived, only that they don't seem to be rare either. I saw 10-15 Latamas for sale at a recent gun show. More of them do seem to be coming out of woodwork and I agree there are more out there waiting to be found. Any idea of the total number of Latamas produced.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Hi Matt.

After collecting seriously for only a couple short years I noticed there seemed to be more Latamas than any others. I base that on watching auctions and saving pictures of every stiletto I ever saw. After a few years I noticed the amount of Latamas that I had saved from pictures were double or triple any other.

Without adding up every single Latama made I would estimate 50,000 from Late 1947-1952.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Talk about me derailing a thread, lol going back to the Black Beauty knives.

Not many auto versions are known. And not many manual versions. The auto versions can get very pricey so try to get a manual version If you can. Here is my 7" manual version, and a rare ad. :mrgreen:
Attachments
BB manual ad.jpg
BB manual ad.jpg (80.72 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Black Beauty 7 inch manual front.jpg
Black Beauty 7 inch manual front.jpg (80.77 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Nice! I don't own a BB but I do like the vintage manuals from the late 50s and early 60s. Gotta love the attempt at damage control in the ad. "Closes with lightning speed." LMAO! I'm just glad many states have repealed these stupid laws and on Nov. 1, I will be able to legally carry, but only on weekends because I often enter buildings where knives are verboten.
Dillonwarner

Post by Dillonwarner »

I have a black beauty.

Blade reads: black beauty, made in Italy.

Slightly chipped on one handle. Blade unsharpened. Opens at the speed of sound but does not stay locked when open

I am curious to learn more about this piece
Attachments
FD29BC4A-BF91-4C12-BF63-0D1B73F724F4.jpeg
FD29BC4A-BF91-4C12-BF63-0D1B73F724F4.jpeg (301.71 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Show us the other side, please.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Beautiful old knives. It is too bad that so many have been destroyed. The Italian Stiletto, while iconic, is so limited in use.

Pity.
Fishtail Picklock
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I actually thought even the manual ones were worth more https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Beauty-I ... 1438.l2649
...Like Bill, I'd be interested to view the other side. Assuming "super-sonic speed" means it's an auto? lol

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
morrissey

Post by morrissey »

Edit
Last edited by morrissey on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.