Outlaw 13" Italian Stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Outlaw 13" Italian Stiletto

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Before I get started on this I'd like to thank John3553 for tips on setting the IPEVO camera. I used it exclusively for today's session as I wanted to see the images full screen and live to figure out where to put the artificial light, etc. Today I got some great shots (in the LePre post to follow) that rival anything I've done with the Canon, however by and large the photos are not as good as what I've done recently. The IPEVO works well if you take the pains, but so does the Canon and the Canon is more forgiving and requires less editing.

Also, I've posted in Italian Knives rather than American knives, as it's more Italian style than American style.

Knifelover2000 tipped me off to a site selling all kinds of knives, including the 13" bayonet stiletto you see below. (If you can't figure out the address from this post, PM me and I will be more specific.) The impression I get is that the business owner "Ski" is assembling components made here in the USA and selling them at prices competitive with 'standard' stuff from Maniago. He's recently begun to offer 13's, so that's what I ordered. I didn't set out to review the knife, but it was an unknown and not very expensive so I decided to buy one, because that's the best way to evaluate it. If the basics were good, I could maybe customize it and get rid of the brass bolsters, if not, I could sell it cheaply and not lose much.

Despite placing my order late on a Friday night, over Saturday and Sunday I was getting updates and the knife was delivered on Monday. It just doesn't get any better than that (unless you're Amazon and deliver on Sunday.) The knife was well packaged and Ski included a personal note. The knife opens and presents well, has a great acoustics and locks up great. It sits deep and centered (though I am getting some swish marks on the back) and has zero blade play. Speed is about what I'd expect from a 13". Everything works as it should, so for the money, it's pretty decent.

Length: 13" overall, blade 5-15/16"
Blade thickness: 7/64" or 3 mm, thinner than I would have expected, stainless steel I think
Liners: .06" or 1.5mm, steel or stainless steel, much sturdier than 1mm brass
Scales: Buffalo horn, front pure black, back nicely streaked
Bolsters: Brass plated stamped stainless steel, unlined ears
Pivot bolster release
Weight: 6.28 oz or 178 g.

The front of the blade is etched as shown:

Nice substantial sear pin, should give long service.

Slip in spring:

It's a good looking knife, fore and aft. The pivoting bolster can sit a bit high or low, it doesn't home every time. I consider this a minor issue and par for the price.

If you like slim and wicked, this is it.

A good friend of mine told me, "It's all about the blade." Unfortunately there are some serious problems here. The first thing I noticed was that the mid-blade grind line was high, that's not so bad, but if you don't make adjustments for that, things quickly go wrong. At the point, the grind line is low and at the back of the bayonet false edge, it reaches it's highest point. Rather than a straight line, it's composed of two short slightly curved segments. This looks terrible. The blade has a bright mirror finish, but unfortunately it was never ground flat to start with, so the reflections reveal vertical ripples along the full length of the blade.

The back side has the very same issues.

I believe the knife has a design flaw. Since it uses a square pin hole instead of a round one and since the tang of the blade is a bit long, it allows the locktab to start to drop into the locked position before the blade has completed it's arc. In my mind, the assembler should have fixed this. This is also a knife that would benefit from a 'ramp' cut into the underside of the locktab so that the pin doesn't crash into the end of the locking tab. Instead he chose to shorten the locking pin. It works fine, but it looks terrible.

Note the locking pin has been ground away below the top of the blade.

In locked position, the hole is not full. I'm afraid this will only get worse with wear and the lock will become loose and the blade will start to banana. Note also that most pivot bolster knives have a slightly longer scale on the button side than the back side which allows for cutting the radius for the pivot. This knife uses two scales of the same length, it's a compromise.

The scale length compromise leaves a gap on the back side. It's not great on the front side either, but I understand it.

I deliberately took this shot to highlight that the safety has a narrow thickness of steel going vertically through the scale, then the button is added on top. Only a narrow slit in the scale is needed.

The holes in the scale for the fire button and the safety are very oversized. In the top shot below the safety is all the way down, In the bottom shot the curved top of the safety is just starting to slide under the firing button. While this is informative and might be cool on a demonstration knife, it just looks horrible on a production piece.

My conclusion is that Outlaw knives is having some startup issues. In all fairness, I would mention that they have only very recently begun to sell 13" knives. I started there because I like 13's.

I feel that what I paid was of reasonable value to me, if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity. I will probably put the knife up for sale in a few days, and expect to recoup almost nothing of my initial investment. There are a lot of good points about Outlaw knives, and I'm confident that some collectors will want one.

Of course, this is only one man's opinion based on a early production knife. Ski seems to be a very nice and reputable guy. I'm sure the product will improve with time.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
whippersnapper

Re: Outlaw 13" Italian Stiletto

Post by whippersnapper »

Nice, honest review 8)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Is that spring held in place by a brass pin that can be removed if you want to take out the spring and make the knife manual? That would be like the kit knives that Frank B and others sold. I see no nail nick, however, that would be needed for manual operation.

Overall fit and finish appear very sub par. They claim on their website that these are US made. If that is a good example of what we are building in the US, we are in BIG trouble.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Looks like this outfit is also cloning/copying the Leverletto...
http://www.keywestknifeworks.com/outlaw ... s-youtube/
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yeah- it's a Chinese clone. At least they aren't trying to sell it as a Leverletto.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

natcherly wrote:Is that spring held in place by a brass pin that can be removed if you want to take out the spring and make the knife manual? That would be like the kit knives that Frank B and others sold. I see no nail nick, however, that would be needed for manual operation.

Overall fit and finish appear very sub par. They claim on their website that these are US made. If that is a good example of what we are building in the US, we are in BIG trouble.
Of course they are claiming US made. If they told you where it really came from they would be admitting violating importation laws.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Very nice ILS- Can I have it? :lol:
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Viking45 wrote:Very nice ILS- Can I have it? :lol:
It's gone, Dave, sold for $20.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Rave

Post by Rave »

Yup,that sure isn't a Frank B knife,I purchased my perfect Frank B 11" stag new for less than $100.00,although close,$95.00. :)
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Someone ignored the good ones list.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

This guy Ski does not live in Florida but lives in PA. I know this guy and at one time he and I were friendly but no more. I told him about the clones and other knives I was buying directly from China and also that I was going to market my knives as Outlaw Cutlery. He was just starting out with is new website and being the nice guy that I can be (on occasion) I decided to help him out. I am in Toronto and where he is in PA is only 3 hours from where I am. Figured it could be a good business contact as well. I had some stuff from China that he liked and I sold to him. Microtech clones mainly. Stupidly I gave him the name and contact info for my mfg. in China. One that I had a relationship for years. Just after giving him the info about the name of my proposed company I became very ill and was in the hospital for several months and rehab for over a year and lost touch with this guy Ski. Low and behold a few months ago I checked out his site and was amazed that he was selling products under the Outlaw Cutlery name and he was selling the chinese knockoffs as the real deal.
His prices are atrocious and personally I would not buy any of his junk. I hope he reads this post. He certainly should not be on the Good Ones list. If any of you want more info on him just pm me and I will be glad to give you a call. I hope Karma bites him in the ass.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I think most of us would be unaware of this site if not for this post imho.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

fastr19 wrote:I think most of us would be unaware of this site if not for this post imho.
From what i've read so far on this thread it sounds like a good idea to avoid that site :!:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

tequiza wrote:
fastr19 wrote:I think most of us would be unaware of this site if not for this post imho.
From what i've read so far on this thread it sounds like a good idea to avoid that site :!:
Yep!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The people who sell these "knives" don't care about collectors. They and the other lowest-common denominator sites sell flea market junk to people who know no better.