need suggestions for saltwaterproof knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
prof

need suggestions for saltwaterproof knife

Post by prof »

I need a high quality auto to use on a boat in salt water. I waterski alot and got run over by the boat yesterday. After thanking my lucky stars that the ski was between my face and the prop, I got to thinking about what I would do if me or someone else got their vest wrapped around the prop shaft. Would'nt take long to get critical under there. A good rescue knife could be a lifesaver.
The leatherman tool I had on the boat rusted right quick.
Suggestions need to be limited to something that won't rust.
Thanks
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'd recommend a fixed blade in 440 stainless, but even that will rust sooner or later. Any steel will rust, and any folder is likely to have carbon steel springs or pins or something somewhere that is carbon steel. If you can find a fixed blade ceramic that is your answer. Anything that folds is likely to accumulate enough salt to seize it or at least cause it to bind some.
Ceramic will not work for prying it will snap, but for cutting it's great and
it doesn't rust. Titanium won't cut as well but makes a better tool if you have to do some prying but stick with a fixed blade.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

prof,

If you go with a fixed blade, one of the small filet knives (available at fishing tackle shops that specialize in saltwater tackle or through mail order) is a good choice. As Vagrant indicated, the autos are likely to be a problem.

One thing to remember is that when saltwater meets metal, saltwater wins. I used to be in the charter fishing business and learned that when it comes to prolonged contact with saltwater, the term "stainless" really means "comparatively stainless". Whatever you end up with, remember that a good freshwater rinse, wipedown, and a blast of WD-40 after each use will keep it rust free.

Jim
prof

Post by prof »

Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for an excuse to acuire a new auto but I guess I'll go fixed on this one.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If you intend to keep it in your pocket and check it every day an auto might do. I'd recomend one of the hi-tech American types with titanium
handles, and titanium-nitried plating on the blade, if you can find one. But if it's going to "live" on the boat go with a fixed blade.