bazaar springer ?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
wingman

bazaar springer ?

Post by wingman »

HAS ANYONE SEEN OR HEARD OF AN BAZAAR SRINGER CIRCA EARLY 1900 IT IS SUPPOSEDLY A GUN KNIFE. CAN THEY BE FOUND ? I HAVE A COUPLE OF BOOKS ON THE MATTER,THEY ARE DEFINITELY MADE BY THE MAKER. PICTURES AND INFO COMING LATER P.S. THAT IS NOT THE KNIFE IN THE PICTURE! THANKS WINGMAN
Last edited by wingman on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: bazaar springer ?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have seen them. I believe they were made between the World Wars.
They may be knives that were converted to gun/knife combos by someone other than the maker. BAZAAR marked knives were made in both Germany and later in Japan, so the company may actually have been an importer.
The gun/knives are a felony to possess in the US, unless registered with BATF and a special tax paid.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Is this what you are talking about?
knife gun 1.jpg
knife gun 1.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 9826 times
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Wow. That appears to have a whole lota hurt right there.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Bazar knives are much more refined than that one.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The Bazar knives are much more refined than that one.
I sure hope someone posts a picture of one, I'd love to see it. If it has you intrigued, Bill, it's gotta be a rare beast indeed. You know about the Bruce Bump stuff, right?

There was a guy on one of the forums that built one from scratch that fired .22 blanks. That's within the talents of someone who knows gunsmithing, like you do. It's an interesting exercise in design, but unfortunately it carries legal consequences that would cause most folks to shy away. It would only be a curiosity, not a serious attempt at concealed carry, but just try convincing the authorities of that. It might be possible to build it without a firing pin or some such thing and achieve the look without making it fully functional. The trick is to demonstrate that it could have been made fully functional, but not, and not alterable to full action without major machining.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Bruce's work is outstanding. His gun/knives are muzzle loading guns that are not covered by federal firearms laws. Conventional cartidge-loading disguised firearms are the ones regulated.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Bruce's work is outstanding.
Just looked him up. Holy cow! http://www.brucebumpknives.com/

Some of the coolest stuff I have seen.
wingman

Re: bazar springer ?

Post by wingman »

HEY FOLKS , IN 1895 FERNANDO ESSER OF NUREMBURG GERMANY MADE A HANDFUL OF BAZAR SPRINGER PISTOL KNIFES .IT ACCEPTED A 9MM FEDERAL ROUND ,WHICH ARE NOT MADE ANYMORE.THE QUALITY IS AWESOME.THE KNIFE BLADE IS AUTOMATIC.
I HEARD THAT THERE ARE ONLY TWO OR THREE IN EXISTENCE. BECAUSE OF ITS AGE ,IT IS AN ANTIQUE. I AM ONE LUCKY ONES TO SEE ONE. WOW!! WINGMAN
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Wingman's information comes from an issue of the old "Newsletter." It's not correct.
There were a lot of suppositions in that article-including the age and caliber. I know the caliber is not 9mm Federal, as this round was developed closer to the year 2000! It is powerful enough to blow the knife-pistol to pieces. Knives like this were not made in Neuremberg. It may have been made (in Solingen) for a dealer in Nuremberg-or have been converted there.
It is still not known if the knives were made as pistol-knives, or were converted after manufacture. I do believe that, if conversions, they were done contemporary to the knives' date of manufacture. The age stated is suspect also.
wingman

Re: bazar springer ?

Post by wingman »

SORRY, your statements are incorrect.You will have to read more articals from different authors. they are out there!!! I never said they where made in nuremberg,Esser was most likely born there, These knifes came in different calibers.READ BLADES AND BARRELS BY H GORTON FROST. All of Essers pistols knifes were center fire.True you can see a beautiful depiction of a restored Bazar springer gun knife in "THE NEWSLETTER" VOL. 6 NO.3 ,For you folks ,Check out there web site ..search auto knifes.GREAT SITE!! I did see one in person. THEY ARE MASSIVE!! I guess all these authors are wrong,,They claim that they are turn of the century knifes, manufactured in Germany TRULY WINGMAN
wingman

Post by wingman »

hey folks ,you can see the knife on smith&wesson forum site .it is unrestored .many pictures!! Put in bazar springer knife in search engine.
wingman

Post by wingman »

HEY FOLKS, I HAVE TALKED AN OLD TIMER INTO SHOWING HIS GUN KNIFE WHICH HE RECIEVED FROM HIS FATHER.PICTURES COMING SOON!! THIS IS THE RESTORED VERSON.THESE KNIFES USE EUROPEAN CALIBER BULLETS. IVE BEEN COLLECTING KNIFES FOR 40 YEARS ,INTERNATIONALY. I HAVE SEEN ONE OF THESE KNIFES IN PERSON ONLY ONCE. ANYONE WHO WANTS MORE INFO ABOUT THESE RARE KNIFES, OR QUESTIONS,, LEAVE ME A MESSAGE WINGMAN
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Exactly which of my statements are incorrect?
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

These things were often 'horse-killers', used to put injured animals out of their misery. There were a lot of horse drawn vehicles when these were made, and accidents were quite common. Poor horsies!

There was also the .22 Centerfire Velo-Dog round made for killing feral/stray dogs-I love dogs, but too many of them running free is a danger.

I've seen these gun-knife contraptions in old magazines, advertised for killing dogs. I guess that since shooting dogs wasn't an everyday activity, combining the gun with a knife(useful as an everyday tool)seemed to make sense.

I wonder how many poor dogs were cruelly wounded with these damnable contraptions? Even if used to euthanize injured beasts, the ammo was rather underpowered, GI horse killers were usually .45 caliber.

When a horse had to be put down, the preferred procedure was for the veterenary corps doctor, farrier
or the trooper to draw a chalk line from the left eye to the right ear and then from the right eye to the left ear. A pistol shot where the lines crossed was usually very quick and painless for the animal.

The devices in question were simple things, a lot like the old teargas shooters, pull the striker back, lock it in a notch, then nudge it over with your thumb to do the deed.

Similar things were used to kill dogs and cats, or slaughter meat animals.

Sad business. Good old days? Not for animals. :(
Life has no value, Death has a price