german stiletto switchblade does it exist ?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
switchblade

german stiletto switchblade does it exist ?

Post by switchblade »

i guess it is my turn for a stupid question AGAIN !!!!
a friend of mine said this is what he wants, a german stiletto switchblade i told him i wasnt sure if they even exist. so i put it to all of you ?

and yes this is the best i could do and it isnt even my question its my friends so all of you OLD guys and average guys of age 38 like myself and young pups get together and answer my friend question.

yes i did get me some guts and soul i will tell what i think and which ones i got under my first question i posted
thanks all
switchblade
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Germain stilettos do exist, don't own any, but have seen some....You can also checkout Switch67 web site for some fine examples of Germain autos.
The only Germain autos i own are lever locks made by Robert Klass...And of course a few Hubie's......
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. SwitchBlade,

You really expect us to believe that wasn't YOUR question? What proof do we have that IT IS your buddie! I am the Doofus! At least I can admit I am a total and most complete KNIFE DORK!

So there!

Best Regard's,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The only current "German" Stiletto Switchbldes I know of are actually made by Frank Beltrame. They are made to confirm to Berlin law and have the frame of a 9" and the blade of an 8" Stiletto. They don't look right but have a pretty good "snap". He may have discontinued these and they are rare in the U.S. I manged to get some and sold all of them, and
have not been able to get more. They are a nice addition to a collection
if you have to have one of everything but they are nothing special.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Vagrant,

Is that why the MAGIC Knife Kits have 8" blades on 9" handles? To conform to German law?

The Falcon
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'm not sure about the "Magic Knives" it's possible. Orit may just be the way they were designed.
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. Switchblade.

Yes there are, or were, German stiletto knives. I was looking in my copy of AN INTRODUCTION TO SWITCHBLADE KNIVES by Ben and Lowell Myers and they detail several different German made stilettos in addition to the usual leverlocks. The book is from 1982 so these knives may be history now.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Just because knives were marked "Rostfrei", or have German markings does not mean the knives were made there. I have researched this thoroughly in the past. The "German" stilettos were ALL actually made in Italy. It is possible that some Italian parts were assembled in Germany, but there is no real German stiletto.
BTW- the Meyers book, while a groundbreaking work, had many mistakes. This was one of them.
Bill DeShivs
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Thanks Bill,
I was afraid to post that there are NO German Stilettos but with your knowledge and reputation I doubt anyone will question it.
I believe Frank or his Father made many of these knives. Also current German law requires an importer to stamp his [company] name on the tang. I have sold several of Frank's Switch model that were tang stamped
Linder. This was not an attempt to decieve just complience with the law.
One German company stamps their name and Solingen on knives made there and only their name on imported knives.
[On the Linder switch models I made sure the customer knew where
they were made].
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Bill, Vagrant, Et Al,

I was in a knife shop near me recently. They had a bunch of German non auto stilettos. Kissing Crane or Hen and Rooster. They had standard blades, beautiful stag handles, and several were of a real neat size for use. Are those made in Germany? I think I am going to go get one later. Look like they could even be sharpened. I wish they made an auto version of them.
spacer

Post by spacer »

aren't Herbertz German knives?? they make a stiletto, or at least the sell one.

oh yeah, magic knifes rock. the blade is just right, stab with confidence. my true 9" stilettos feel like they could snap sideways from the length of the blade.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I believe the Herbertz is made by Frank Beltrame.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

After looking at the "Herbetz" on the web site, I stand corrected. I now believe it is from the exotic Orient [and way overpriced].
Unlike some German companies Herbertz has been known to stamp their name and Solingen on knives made elsewhere. They may assemble them in Solingen from imported parts to justify this. The ones I've seen such as the former Puma [now Herbertz] Booster are usually better finished than the same knife made in the Orient.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

hollowdweller,

A guy I work with has one of the Kissing Crane non-auto stilettos that matches your description. You are right about them being a nice size for actual use, and they certainly can be sharpened.

Jim
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Jim,

They had several sizes in the store. Some were about normal italian sizes, but a couple were maybe 8" and 6" or something.

Next time I am in there I'll have to look at the blade and see if it says it was actually made in Germany.