Switchblade steel used for blade?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Messer

Switchblade steel used for blade?

Post by Messer »

I have learned a lot about Italian Switchblades in the 2 weeks I been here and many of you have blades which are true works of Art!
Never been much of a knife person except I prefer certain types of steel that the blade is made from, since I do a lot of fishing, camping etc. and always have a survival type of knife or 2 with me when doing so as well as a machete or axe.

Before I ever buy one I check reviews on u-tube for and it seems a lot of people myself included up to a point will or wont buy a certain knife due to blade quality!
I have noticed 1 thing which is that when browsing on sites selling Italian Switchblades, they list all about the knife except on the blade then they list only Stainless Steel, which can be anything, but I did notice 1model of Frank B had listed 420.

On cheap Chinese they list it as 440 or high carbon so I simply wonder is there a set standard for type of steel used in the Italians blade or simply whatever they use it on all?
I am surprised that I have yet to see any references as to how well made the knife is pertaining to blade steel!
Just wondering ? :o

Thank You!
JW
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Switchblade steel used for blade?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Most Italian stainless is 420. Some is 440 A or B.
Anything else will be marked as to what it is.
As I told you before, most Italian stilettos are not meant for cutting, so edge holding is of little concern.
Chinese steel is almost never what it is marked.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Messer

Post by Messer »

Thank's I thought along those lines!
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

I think someone mentioned here on the forum that the more recent knives from Frank Beltrame had a sharper edge than they used to have before, is this true?
Messer

Post by Messer »

Both of my cheap ones, the original and the replacement had decent edges, but not as sharp as my Chinese Milano! :o