Made in Usa

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
peter44

Made in Usa

Post by peter44 »

Mr Nemo i have a Harley Fat Boy proudly made in America ! Iam English (not that that makes a difference to anything) but guess what! the pistons are German and the forks are Japanese do i care , no .
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
Switch King

Re: Made in Usa

Post by Switch King »

Hello Peter,
that's what I think all the time!
Only I had a Mecedes in head. I do not think anyone will dispute the Mercedes a German car?
But the fact is that the parts for Mercedes in South Africa, Brazil and Argentina, China, Vietnam and Japan, India, Indonesia, Egypt, Turkey, Spain, France and the United States and Canada produce.
Nevertheless, it is a German car.
I do not know why this such a big problem for someone.
If you do not like him, then he should simply not buy switchblades from Manigo.
And people accuse fraud without evidence is also such a thing.
This is my opinion.

Switch King
Greetings from Europe
roadsideimports

Post by roadsideimports »

Gelandewagen is not made by Mercedes it is a Steyr-Daimler-Puch now Magna Steyr AG & Co KG made in Austria and a subsidiary of Canadian-based Magna International. All it has is a badge from Mercedes and some components some even from VW. It is all nut and bolt, built by hand in Graz, Austria.

Harley uses a Japanese carburetor on many motors because they sucked at making their own.
Rubens Blades

Post by Rubens Blades »

There is a flip side to this. Say you are told your harley was 100% proudly made in america,every part,you buy one and find made in china stamped under the gas tank. I don't think it's about where things are made,some people care,some don't. I think it's about being given all of the information up front,so you can make the right decision.
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

When did Harley make a carb?
DonFannuci

Post by DonFannuci »

RSD100 wrote:When did Harley make a carb?
Back in 1903 till 1952, the same year they introduced the footshift.
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

Thanks, not familiar with the pre-60s bikes. But, I thought quality was pretty good until AMF got involved.
roadsideimports

Agreed AMF should have stuck to bowling balls and bowling alleys.
DonFannuci

Post by DonFannuci »

American Machine Foundry bikes get a worse rep than they deserve but it plays into this discussion or war of words from what I see about foreign parts. This was the moment in American history when our world really started to become truly globalized. It coincided with the start of the AMF made Harleys. It actually started in 1952 when Harley made an application to the US Tariff Commission for a 40% tax on imported motorcycles, and Harley was charged with restrictive practices. So this was just the beginning. Then in '69, one year after the introduction of the Shovelhead motor, AMF bought the company and slashed the workforce, while bikes continued to increase in price and the workers enacted a strike. But this is when the globalization of production really started to take hold in all industries. I myself, am in the pharmaceutical industry and what most people don't realize is that the raw compounds that are in our medications FOR THE MOST PART all come from chemical factories in the Wenzhou and Linzhou provinces of China and indeed this is where my company gets ours. Now there are the odd medications such as Humatrope (hgh) by Lilly that is still made via rDNA production methods here in the USA and there is a big difference in the potency of this drug and even the name brand hgh that comes from China. There really is no comparison. And also testosterone made by Watson or Upjohn is far more potent than even the raw powders that come out of China. But the bottom line is that we all have become globalized and in order to be competitive, you have to source from the countries that your competitor is sourcing from if you want to stay in business and grow.
I've been watching the battle between Nemo and others on here about whether parts used in genuine italian stilettos are made in Italy or China. I can understand his point, although I think he is going about it wrong by calling people frauds. You're just not going to get anywhere by doing that. But on the other hand, I really don't understand why some on here are making big efforts to shut the guy up. I think it should be made known up front on here if someone asks. But commonsense tells me, from experience in my own industry that alot of the parts in these knives do indeed come from China. It's not a big deal, but again, I can see why he's pissed, especially being that he's a knifemaker himself.
Look, the "genuine, made in Italy" thing is for the masses. Its up to the individual to hsve the smarts to understand industry and know for himself where things are made and how they are advertised. Its just the nature of the beast. Kinda like how they advertise Mercedes being German and Harley being American. Some Mercedes are completely German like the AMG line but even those hace parts from different countries and the same is true for Harley.
I myself, would like to knowingly purchase a stiletto completely made in Italy and I'd be willing to pay for it too because I know that would drive the price up above what most people would be willing to pay. But at the same time, I am perfectly happy with the italians the way they are made by and large now and consider them to be as Italian as you can get.
roadsideimports

Didn't know about the tariff that was interesting to find out about. Discussing the matter is always the best, we have discussed cars and bikes so well, everyone plays well and then when the subject changes man the behavior changes to what little children would do. It is crazy all around and you'd think that adults could actually talk about things. It is like a bunch of politicians going off subject to slander one another. Hopefully it changes and guys can come to grips with actually enjoying being an adult.

AMG used to be its own company and then got bought out by Mercedes, There is a G55 and now a G63 but still made in Austria just has upgraded parts and an AMG motor the new bi-turbo V12 on the G63 and the older G55 had a bi-turbo V8 which is now the standard model. Most don't know I own a body shop so talking shop is cool with cars and bikes and dragsters, it just gets crazy when the subject changes to knives.

You are right it is the globalization of things and discussing that would be a good start to understanding things. It is nice to meet people who can chat respectfully and discuss things.
DonFannuci

Post by DonFannuci »

roadsideimports wrote:Didn't know about the tariff that was interesting to find out about. Discussing the matter is always the best, we have discussed cars and bikes so well, everyone plays well and then when the subject changes man the behavior changes to what little children would do. It is crazy all around and you'd think that adults could actually talk about things. It is like a bunch of politicians going off subject to slander one another. Hopefully it changes and guys can come to grips with actually enjoying being an adult.

AMG used to be its own company and then got bought out by Mercedes, There is a G55 and now a G63 but still made in Austria just has upgraded parts and an AMG motor the new bi-turbo V12 on the G63 and the older G55 had a bi-turbo V8 which is now the standard model. Most don't know I own a body shop so talking shop is cool with cars and bikes and dragsters, it just gets crazy when the subject changes to knives.

You are right it is the globalization of things and discussing that would be a good start to understanding things. It is nice to meet people who can chat respectfully and discuss things.
This is funny, because in another thread you are tearing me a new one. I'm the guy that had the Chuck Doyle thread. But you know, I'm glad you didn't make the connection because it goes to show that we can not 8nly get along but that I'm not the jerk you think I am in the other thread. Hey man, like any man with any self respect, I don't like when people come at me, scoff at me, or really disrespect me in any manner. Probably just like you. Of course I'm a different person when I'm pissed. Isn't everyone?
roadsideimports

No, I am the same person. Anger is not an excuse to behave poorly. Many things you can agree on and many things you can not agree on in life it is how you behave, clearly the email showed showed the caliber of the person who wrote it. I can see names loud and clear, subjects change views and it is not a reason to act like children when there is a different position on things. It was a great post to show people the real reality of things and how the dynamics of real life is. Chuck changed my login on his website to ahole, I find that funny, I could post all kinds of nonsense but he is entitled to his stance just like anyone else. The email was great, frustration does not excuse poor behavior nor does it condone it but seems that others disagree when is in their interest to do so. It is a double standard for sure. Chuck hates me and I am not petty enough to care so irony is always the better stance and doesn't change things if someone we like or don't like is in the conversation that is being discussed.