Any info on this old knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
brendani

Any info on this old knife

Post by brendani »

Hey guys, I am not a collector, and I am not knowledgeable on knifes. My friend gave me this Rostfrei switchblade and I was hoping you'd be able to give me some info on it. Any and all history would be appreciated. I know he purchased it while stationed in Germany and carried it throughout his active duty. Any of your help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (201.61 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (252.8 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (201.7 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
Tom19176

Re: Any info on this old knife

Post by Tom19176 »

Very nice Italian made for the German market. The style is called a hump lock back stiletto. Can you give a close up of the marking on the blade and any words where the bottom of the blade meets the top of the knife handle ( the tang)? It is either a Kissing Krane of a Henkels brand. Deer stag handles......
brendani

Post by brendani »

The one side of the blade is marked Rostfrei and the other side closer to handle is marked "PATENT". I can't find any other markings with my naked eye. The "rivets" appear to be brass that was hit in by hammer if that helps too.
Thanks again for helping me.
Attachments
close 2.JPG
close 2.JPG (208.27 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
close1.JPG
close1.JPG (211.54 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Hey Tom,

It looks like the Kissing Crane logo on the blade to me. Your thoughts?

Jim
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

rostfrei , means its stainless steel, the two kissing birds make it's made by kissing crane
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Imported to Germany by Robert Klass. Made in Maniago, Italy. Coil spring mechanism.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Looks like a Robert Klaas to me. (Germany)
john

Post by john »

In summary:
Humpback/hump lock refers to the type of blade locking and release mechanism used on this model.
Deer Stag handles
Made for German market in Maniago, Italy for Robert Klass company. Germany requires blades on this type of knife to be no more than 3 inches. Often the handle can accommodate a 3.5 inch blade. The maker of the knife puts a smaller blade in the knife handle. Your knife however looks like it has the correct size handle for the blade. If you have extra room or the blade looks short in the handle when closed then they used a standard 5 inch handle for a 9 inch knife.
Coil Spring is the type of spring used to fire the blade. It's located under the top bolster. Most knives of this style use a leaf spring located in the channel of the handle. The pins are brass and you're right a hammer was used to pin the handle onto the knife and also the blade and bottom bolster were hammered on too. The blade has a stainless pin and in the photo the bottom bolster looks like brass. The bolsters, button and safety are stainless steel.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
brendani

Post by brendani »

That's awesome! Thank you all for the information! The knife does take up the entire handle when closed. Not that I would ever sell this piece, but do you have an estimate on the value?
Thanks again for all your help!
andrea

Post by andrea »

very nice Brendani,
good addition!!
greetings
Andrea
myswitchblade

Post by myswitchblade »

Hello everyone,

My friend has given a old knife for using. This knife is made in Germany. It is automatic. We can change the blade of this knife. The maker of the knife put small blade in the knife handle. There is certain restriction for using Automatic knife. It is illegal. Some states are allowed using automatic knife.

Thanks a lot
Andrew Clark
Last edited by myswitchblade on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
novice

Post by novice »

john wrote:
Your knife however looks like it has the correct size handle for the blade.
To me as well but my Othello looks that way from certain angles too and the blade is definitely short in the handle -