Self defense?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jason Bourne

Self defense?

Post by Jason Bourne »

Do you carry a switchblade for self defense?
TRYKER

Re: Self defense?

Post by TRYKER »

NO
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Jason Bourne wrote:Do you carry a switchblade for self defense?
I find a gun much more useful for that here in Georgia.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

No, not a smart thing to do.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

Springfield XDS .45
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I carry a balisong for EDC, but to think it would make a good self defense tool is stupid. They are too slow, too loud, and too flashy for any true quick use as a self defense item except in maybe the most dire of circumstances.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

NO... I think a switchblade is a very poor choice for a self-defense weapon except as a "last resort" when you can't find a rock...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

NO
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

How about switchblade in combination with pepper spray?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

First, everyone here is a collector and likes knives for that purpose. There are forums that talk about the weapon use of knives, and the vast majority the members are arm chair warriors. In many years of law enforcement. I have seen lots of knife wounds. Very, very few disabled the person stabbed quickly. That is Hollywood BS. Most people who have been stabbed think they were punched and not stabbed, even when they saw their attacker had a knife. A few who knew they were stabbed, beat the person for stabbing them before the wound they received had any effect on their energy level. A knife wound well placed that quickly makes the person stabbed loose the ability to continue to fight is almost always one where the person stabbed was the victim of a crime or murder attempt and did not see the attack coming and the attacker had some understanding of the human body and how to make a deadly wound. Finally, even in self defense, a DA would not view a switchblade as a common knife you chose to use as a last resort even were carry is legal....
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

no, very bad option. A gun is the choice. i have experience carry many small models that are easy to carry and comfortable.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Glock Model 30.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

A modern auto, like a Boker Kaleshnikov might make a slightly better self defense option than a common folding knife, purely because of the speed of opening. Also slashing wounds work better at disabling a foe than stabs, as they are usually more immediately painful and noticeable.

A knife also allows a user to punch slightly harder (punching while holding anything tends to increase force) and allows extra options as far as defense, such as hamstringing or cutting tendons (assuming one has a chance to do so). Lastly, a good slashing strike to the forehead is nearly as effective as pepper spray, head wounds bleed profusely and blood stings quite nicely in the eyes.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I have carried a Microtech UMS(automatic) for almost 10 years. It is an every day user/utility but if needed I would defend myself. The situation would have to be bleak.
There has been a knife in my pocket since childhood,I don't carry a knife with the intent of self defense however any knife I have with me would be used for self defense,I think it is absurd to think we wouldn't use whatever we had with us in a dire situation.

Jerry actually makes a good point. As a country boy I became proficient with a rock. If I could get my hands on a board,brick,rock,piece of pipe or a tree branch those would be my weapons.
We may not always have the luxury of a 45 or 12 gauge.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Honestly, for self defense, I would rather have a baton or a very tough (and hopefully smooth) stick.

I feel that in such a scenario, a long, blunt object will more readily disable or subdue an attacker than a small thin sharp piece of metal. Not only does it have better reach, it also does not require a user to face it any specific direction when using it (as a blade does), and would most likely be looked upon as much less "EVIL" or "Deadly" than any knife by an outside observer/police/jury/etc...