Self defense?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: Self defense?

Post by Viking45 »

I agree that a stick is the next best thing to a side arm. I keep a hickory sledge hammer handle in my truck.
I don't trust a wooden baseball bat. Ash can break fairly easy whereas hickory is far more likely to withstand a bad guy's noggin,ribcage or whatever.
Aluminum bat or look at Cold Steels version- http://www.defensedevices.com/cold-stee ... MgodEzoAdw

https://www.asp-usa.com/store/batons.html
Simon1

Post by Simon1 »

Viking45 wrote:I agree that a stick is the next best thing to a side arm. I keep a hickory sledge hammer handle in my truck.
I don't trust a wooden baseball bat. Ash can break fairly easy whereas hickory is far more likely to withstand a bad guy's noggin,ribcage or whatever.
Aluminum bat or look at Cold Steels version- http://www.defensedevices.com/cold-stee ... MgodEzoAdw

https://www.asp-usa.com/store/batons.html
I also agree that a good piece of hickory is "hard to beat", but have you tried carrying one in you pocket at all times? Or having to take the time to put a full sized baton in the baton ring on your belt as you get out of the car so you can have it with you in the "pucker factor of 10" situation where your butt cheeks clinch so much as you are getting out of the car that you take half the car seat with you? :D

That being said, I have been trained in both Koga baton and asp (link above). A good piece of hickory is great; I like it better than an asp.

Hope I didn't offend anyone that likes a good stick. But then there is also the 21 foot rule.

As to the OPs question, NO! I don't carry a knife solely for self defense. My carry knives are just pocket knives.

I carry my Wilson tuned Colt Officer's Model .45, and OC if I think I might need a spray in some bad parts of town I still need to go into. Don't wear a duty belt anymore.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

In my opinion the best self defense is your brain and if all else fails, you can then resort to whatever you have at hand. I carry a Yawara/Kubaton stick attached as a key chain. Fully legal and can be used to attack pressure points or even beak bones.
Batons, mace, etc. are illegal here in Canada to civilians.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i carry a 38'' canemaster cane made of 1 1/4'' hickory with a birds beak crook and sharks teeth
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Tom19176 wrote:First, everyone here is a collector and likes knives for that purpose. There are forums that talk about the weapon use of knives, and the vast majority the members are arm chair warriors. In many years of law enforcement. I have seen lots of knife wounds. Very, very few disabled the person stabbed quickly. That is Hollywood BS. Most people who have been stabbed think they were punched and not stabbed, even when they saw their attacker had a knife. A few who knew they were stabbed, beat the person for stabbing them before the wound they received had any effect on their energy level. A knife wound well placed that quickly makes the person stabbed loose the ability to continue to fight is almost always one where the person stabbed was the victim of a crime or murder attempt and did not see the attack coming and the attacker had some understanding of the human body and how to make a deadly wound. Finally, even in self defense, a DA would not view a switchblade as a common knife you chose to use as a last resort even were carry is legal....
I agree and I admit that I am a gun and knife history geek and my main interest is as a hobby, however, I do usually carry a knife, either a Case mini Copperlock, a Benchmade axis lock or an SOG Flash II assisted opener. I would never pull a knife on anyone as is shown in the movies, but if attacked, it's possible I would use one as a last resort. There is no such thing as a "fair fight" especially if the assailant is larger and/or stronger. There was an incident in a town near me about 10 years ago where a woman stabbed her boyfriend in the heart with a cheap ballpoint pen while he was trying to beat the crap out of her. The stabbing stopped the fight immediately and he died shortly afterwards. The district attorney wrote off any possible charges, ruling that the woman acted in self defense.
komodo

Post by komodo »

Jason Bourne wrote:Do you carry a switchblade for self defense?
Defense against whom?

An attacker with a knife?
Have you ever seen the "winner" of a knife fight? The "winner" has just as many slash/stab wounds as the "loser".

An attacker with a gun?
Do you really think they'll let you get close enough to them to cut them before they blow your fool head off????

An attacker beating you with his BARE HANDS?
If he's beating you that badly with his BARE HANDS, if you pull a knife on him, he's going to take it away from you and use it on you!

No, I do not carry a knife for self defense.
Yes, I do carry a knife everyday, and, as an ABSOLUTE, LAST RESORT, with NO other options, I would use it to defend myself if I could, but I do NOT consider my knives as self defense weapons. They are tools, and only that.
If it's not fun, why do it?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Razor_54 wrote:In my opinion the best self defense is your brain...
Agreed. Even as a very young man I was always aware of my surroundings.
Some things just cannot be explained. Example- From the days of going to high school parties to the early days of going into rough bars.
I played high school football and would go to parties from other schools and I was the one that always knew trouble was about to start before a word was said because I read peoples actions.
Same goes for the bar scene years later.
To this day whether it's going to Sears for pair of pants or out to a restaurant with my girlfriend I look around before I park,I scan the place and look for potential problems and continue to do so once inside.
We don't go to bars very often but sometimes enjoy events downtown and I see lots of shady characters "sizing" me up as we walk.
Another thing is how you carry yourself. The average mugger(s) don't want to fight,they want an easy mark and/or some group of drunk guys just want to kick the crap outta somebody.

I always wear boots,at work I wear heavy steel-toe boots and at home I wear a lace up ankle boot that is more like a light weight hiking/hunting boot.
The point I am making is if a guy is wearing mobile footwear he is most likely going feel more secure about confrontation as opposed to some guy in flip flops.
I am not a flip flop or sneaker guy,never have been.

Just don't "look" like you would take any crap and you may not get any. Always have eye contact with some dirtbag on the street,let them know you are aware.

People talk about someone having their knife taken away well this can go for guns too. If some doped-up scumbag sees your holster he could catch you off guard and relieve you of your iron.
Fact is anyone can be a victim at any time but just like a vehicle accident,many can be prevented if you keep your eyes open and are aware of your surroundings.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mos' excellent points ALL Mr. Komodo...

Good advice Mr. Viking...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

JerrBear wrote:Mos' excellent points ALL Mr. Komodo...

Good advice Mr. Viking...
Agree
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Bourne,

The worst kind of knife for self defense is a folder, switch or whatever. Now if you really want to get downtown, may I suggest a fixed blade, say, kitchen knife? It's by far and wide, the most popular stabbing weapon ever invented. Ask any cop.

Someone mentioned a Springfield .45, that's my EDC.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

i carry a 38'' canemaster cane made of 1 1/4'' hickory with a birds beak crook and sharks teeth
Amusingly, in my state that would be illegal to carry, yet a switchblade is legal as long as it's not concealed.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

dark2023 wrote:
Amusingly, in my state that would be illegal to carry, yet a switchblade is legal as long as it's not concealed.
why is a cane, which i need, be illegal ???
TRYKER

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

why is a cane, which i need, be illegal ???
NC has specific laws against carrying any cane sold with the intend or in any way designed for use as a weapon, offensive or defensive. It's considered a concealed weapon and is prosecuted in pretty much the same way as an illegally concealed gun.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

THEN , that would enclude any cane .
TRYKER

dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

THEN , that would enclude any cane .
Depending on the officers and the judge, yep, pretty much.
But, they have specific wording that expressly calls out weighted canes and canes with ribbing or grooves such as yours.