Frank B. picklock arrived, BUT it's not what I ordered!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Sam Hotton

Frank B. picklock arrived, BUT it's not what I ordered!

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening guys,
I'm really bummed out. Got my Xmas present Frank B. Picklock today. Why on such a day should anyone be bummed out. Well I'm glad you asked.
I ordered Buffalo Horn scales with some figure and a Damascus blade. I get all black Buffalo horn scales with a polished bayonet blade. Who ever sharpened the blade, ground it heavy on one side and lightly on the other side. There is also minor gapping between the backspring and the liners. On the positive side it opens and shuts very well (it walks and talks), the blade is straight, tight and centered. I've always said I wanted a "Black Beauty", I guess this is about as close to one as I'll get.
I e-mailed Frank about this error tonight, I'll keep you guys posted on what comes of this.
Any body out there have any experiences with getting the wrong knife from Frank. If so, what did he do to make it right with you?
SAM
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Well, I havent ordered alot from Frank, but from what I understand, he generally gets it right.
I think youll find frank will work w/ you on it.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

yeah, frank is usually pretty good, but i've experienced similar with him...
i think he's a little "rattled" these days with some things that are going on... :roll:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Sam,

I have heard of similar experiences from a few folks. Mrbigg is correct in that he is probably a bit "rattled" due to some things involving Italian / English language barrier.

Jim
daddyloko

not what I ordered

Post by daddyloko »

Sam, I've had that happen before with Frank. I e-mailed him and explained the situation, mailed item back using an express carrier. And eventually got what I ordered. Make sure you get his correct address, not the one on the package.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Jim D
I'm sorry but he sure played the poor peasant trying to understand what was being asked of him. He spent a lot of time reiterating the questions like it was going over his head and no matter how rational it was explained it was no comprende. But when the other gentleman mentioned the opposite sceniario to him he went ballistic pretty fast. Which brings me to my other post where people who use English as a second language also use it to play dumb when it suits them. That is why I go through life posing as a deaf mute. You would be amazed at the things you learn like Latama's original line up were rizzuittos and all switchblades came from an island in the south pacific. And mexico made all the Coricimas.

PB
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

PB,

WOW - I must have been really ill informed about my switchblade history :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I know what you mean about folks hiding under the "my English is not good" umbrella. For example, I have a friend from Germany whose English is better than that of most native English speaking folks. He somehow managed to keep a German drivers license in addition to his Fla. license. When stopped for speeding he surrendered his German license and spoke only in German. The frustrated officer decided it was not worth the trouble pursuing the situation. The officer made slow down signs with his hands and let him go despite the fact that he was going 85 in a 60.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I wonder if the same trick would work if you spoke perfect English to the officer?
omega

Re: Frank B. picklock arrived, BUT it's not what I ordered!

Post by omega »

Sam Hotton wrote:Good evening guys,
I'm really bummed out. Got my Xmas present Frank B. Picklock today. Why on such a day should anyone be bummed out. Well I'm glad you asked.
I ordered Buffalo Horn scales with some figure and a Damascus blade. I get all black Buffalo horn scales with a polished bayonet blade. Who ever sharpened the blade, ground it heavy on one side and lightly on the other side. There is also minor gapping between the backspring and the liners. On the positive side it opens and shuts very well (it walks and talks), the blade is straight, tight and centered. I've always said I wanted a "Black Beauty", I guess this is about as close to one as I'll get.
I e-mailed Frank about this error tonight, I'll keep you guys posted on what comes of this.
Any body out there have any experiences with getting the wrong knife from Frank. If so, what did he do to make it right with you?
SAM
Sam:

Contact frank by email and explain as plainly as possible what has happened. I am aware of other recent orders which were in some way mishandled.

Frank is aware of these issues, believe me. He will make things right with you. This is not the way things usually go there, but as others have inferred, he has had a couple of distractions.

Not to wave the "I told you so flag," but this is where working with a USA seller is of benefit to customers. When problems occur (and they occur frequently with every cutlery house in Maniago), the end customer never sees or hears of it because it is resolved before the product ever enters the chain of commerce.

The initial cost may be a couple of dollars more, but one mistake in the filling of the order will far outweigh any savings one has by attempting to purchase direct.

The language barrier is significant. One is far better to have a listing of scale type numbers and blade types (example 23/98VT). There are seldom mistakes made in filling orders when they are placed in this fashion.

Hitch your wagon to someone on the Good Ones list, pay the extra couple of sheckels and then forget about it.

Those with frequent dealings with our friends there have the ability to sort out discrepancies by adjusting the amounts due on future orders, negating the need to return items. Let's face it, anything Frank makes sells..... that is never an issue.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Omega,

You make some good points. What I would add is that by establishing trusted relationships with the right sellers you don't have to pay anything extra. In fact, you can usually save a good bit as well as avoiding the hassles.

By the way, your website is shaping up nicely. Unlike me, you may not need reemployment in the real world :)

Jim
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Omega,

Good point. I would have to say I completely agree. There is however, on small factor that many of the forumites here look forward to, and that is the 'running of the gauntlet' so to speak. It can be quite stimulating to some folk. As for me, I pretty much buy all of SKM's stuff through the dealers on this side of the pond.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
omega

Post by omega »

jim d, wrote:Omega,

You make some good points. What I would add is that by establishing trusted relationships with the right sellers you don't have to pay anything extra. In fact, you can usually save a good bit as well as avoiding the hassles.

By the way, your website is shaping up nicely. Unlike me, you may not need reemployment in the real world :)

Jim
Thanks Jim! The site is still taking too damn long! Needless distractions like sleep, arguing over in the OTHER forum and a few real world issues are delaying me a bit. In the meantime, cutlery is stacking up like firewood. But I WILL get caught up.

The doctors gave me just the kick in the nuts I needed today to force me to work even harder on the site. It appears that re-employment in the real word is a diminishing possibility. Actually, it's a gift in disguise.

Find me one other scenario where I could manage to sit around in my underwear until noon or later, playing with switchblades, perfecting my grasp of Italian profanities and still find some way to get paid for it, however meagerly.

I've been the fireplug long enough. Perhaps now I'll get to be the dog!
omega

Post by omega »

Bonzo wrote:Mr. Omega,

Good point. I would have to say I completely agree. There is however, on small factor that many of the forumites here look forward to, and that is the 'running of the gauntlet' so to speak. It can be quite stimulating to some folk. As for me, I pretty much buy all of SKM's stuff through the dealers on this side of the pond.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Bonzo:

What Gauntlet? None of the dealers I know fuss with importation. Too much hassle (ahem).
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening guys,
Wrote e-mail to Frank B. stating mixup with order. Received a most apologetic e-mail asking me to send back the knife and he would send the correct one in return. I just sent him an e-mail asking him to tell me a price for this knife and I will send him a check. I figure this is the easiest, and safest route to take, for both him and I. Not to mention being the gentleman that I am. I guess two picks are better than one, God gave me two hands. The saga continues, updates later, movie to follow.
Regards,
SAM
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Just admit it Sam, this was your devious plan all along :twisted: :wink: