Stiletto Siciliano?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Claudester,

Your post about German and Italian knives had not appeared when I began typing my reply. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been redundant.

Jim
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

jim d, wrote:Claudester,

Your post about German and Italian knives had not appeared when I began typing my reply. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been redundant.

Jim
Jim,
Whats wrong with being redundant? I do it all the time, time, time, time,time,
time, time, time.

Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
floater

Post by floater »

I posted a query about boxlot and his wares a couple days ago on the "a never ending supply of rip-offs" thread. What initially struck me as hooey was the apparent attempt to imply that the knives he's selling are of some aged vintage with phrases like, "no cracks, breaks, or chips", "the spring action is like new", and "This one's in Great condition". The guy has 7 or 8 knives up on BA all with the same spiel. The names are different - Siciliano, Milano and "Steleto" - but the descriptions are the same. He also uses, "a perfect swing guard" in each ad. Mr. Omega and Mr. Vagrant replied that boxlot is a decent sort and that this seems to be out of character for him.
I am but an egg in this game, but it still seems a bit spurious to me.

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I know Mr Claudester that was why I had the jingle in the beginning that said santa can stamp anything he wants. But thinking of that knife and if Vagrants reading this he'll also remember there were a line of knives out including the rollerball about 10 years ago and if memory serves they were made by Fury. Do you have Smkys new xmas catalog? Cause if Furys are out there I bet they would have them.
PB
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

JTHM
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and pass you. The next time though you will only be able to go to Bali Island where Jman oversees the misfits.
PB
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

PB.

Balisland of the misfit knives isn't a bad place till that snow dude arrived. You might even be able to find a water pistol that shoots jam there.

SD
jthm

Post by jthm »

lol YAY!
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Claudester, you asked about a nail nick a while ago. A nail nick is the little slot usually seen in ordinary manual openers or everyday pocket knives. It allows you to put your thumb nail in the "nick" and lift the blade from the handle to open. You can usually see the Medici swing guards on BA with both the nail nick and the newer ones without. I always hated the nail nick on an auto as it served no purpose and therefore looked stupid.

On the knife in question, I wondered if it had a nail nick as the picture of the blade is so dark its hard to tell. So J-man's original remark about the nail nick might be correct. This particular blade shape sure looks like the Tizzy type that says "stiletto" and usually has a nail nick. However, the hole in the blade doesn't go all the way through like most cheapies do? Also, the white acrylic handle on this one looks like the "good" type. Some white acrylic (sometimes called imitation pearl) is real cheap feeling, light wieght, and just looks extra plasticy. For some reason, those ones usually seem to have a brass colored safety slide. On the other hand, the better white acrylic feels sturdier to the touch, is heavier, and looks more like real pearl. If you've seen them both, you know what I mean. In any case, that particular knife is unusual and hard to figure for me. Shiver.
Roccomo

Re: Stiletto Siciliano?

Post by Roccomo »

jim d, wrote:Has anyone seen one of these before?

Jim

Jim, In 1995 I got several 'Stiletto Siciliano' 11 inchers from a mail order place in Florida. They are a heavy duty version of the currently available stilettos, I carried one for a couple years with a pearlex handle. One of them was an 11 inch kriss blade which brought $150.00 :o on BA last year. They are pretty nice knives.
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Shiver wrote:Claudester, you asked about a nail nick a while ago. A nail nick is the little slot usually seen in ordinary manual openers or everyday pocket knives. It allows you to put your thumb nail in the "nick" and lift the blade from the handle to open. You can usually see the Medici swing guards on BA with both the nail nick and the newer ones without. I always hated the nail nick on an auto as it served no purpose and therefore looked stupid.
Shiver.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I never thought of the finger nail, that was pretty simple. At least YOU answered my question.

Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

I'm goin' with PB on this one. Probably early to mid 80's, most definitely Italian. I don't think its got a nail nick, you usually see those on the kit knives with the extra bottom pin to lock the spring in. I'm thinking the etching was from the importer. Edgeco used to do stuff like that back in the 80's, (its not an Edgeco though, all of those were kits)

M.P.E.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Another thing about the nail nick: it shows up on some toplock Bokers that have been converted aftermarket. The real Bokers that were auto at the factory were made w/o the nick.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Stone,

Ususlly, but not always. I have some Toplock conversions that do not have the nail nick. They are the large size, and are rock solid conversions.
Assuming you are using a good convertor (these are at least as good as factory autos), the key is to get German as opposed to Argentenian Bokers. I acquired a few from Argentina for some folks who wanted them, and each was a disappointment. The most significant issue was asymmetric blade grinds.

Jim
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

'I acquired a few from Argentina for some folks who wanted them, and each was a disappointment. The most significant issue was asymmetric blade grinds.'

Jim, good morning, could you elaborate on the blade grind - I have a Boker top lock,- Argentina stamp. I know there is a big german influence down there and figured Boker were running thier version of a sweat shop for knives.
It looks and is made great to me but I have nothing to compare it with.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

JAGMAN,

Look at the knife with the blade pointing toward you. Is the blade grind on one side of the blade symmetric with the grind on the opposite side? On the ones I received, the bevel was lower on one side.

The ones that I saw were from a couple of years ago, and it seems that was about when these knives first started to appear. In fact when I ordered them I just assumed they would be German. I have no idea how long the Boker Argentina facility has been in operation, but it is possible that I got some of the early ones made while the folks were still in the early phase of their learning curve.

Well converted German Toplocks represent one of the best values in functional switchblades in my humble but correct opinion. If they would just get away from that 420 steel...

Jim