what is the best

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ironmage

what is the best

Post by ironmage »

Tell me who you think makes the best swichblade you can buy.I'm new to swichblades I only have 3 but plan on another one soon but I am going for the best money can buy,or at least that I can afford.lol
Say you had the cash what one would you buy.What companies should I be looking at.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby.If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength...."
"I do not weep at the world I am too busy sharpening my knife."
daddyloko

Re: what is the best

Post by daddyloko »

I think the answer to that is in the mind of the beholder. There's very many available now, whether you want custom or production makes or even both. I would suggest keeping up with posts here at the forum and view the cool collections or additions to people's collections and go from there. The people here are great at sharing their experiences with all makes and designs as well as knowing who the reputable and despicable sellers are.
You'll just have to invest in some before you get hooked on a specific one or more. More than likely you'll be like most of us and will find several styles and makers to your liking.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I would look at ProTech, MIcrotech, and Benchmade. All make quality knives. My first choice would be the first company listed.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Are you interested in a user or a particular style. Opinions are going to vary. Protech was suggested; for a user they have a TR-3 model that is about ideal and is a great value. Microtech makes a LUDT or LUMS that is a great user. I don't have any Benchmade knives but they appear to be well made and priced. If it's style you want you have more choices than I care to list. How about ya give us more of an idea about the purpose for your next knife. Greg
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Old school Italian Stiletto- Pat Havlin custom (quite expensive but simply the best)
Basic Italian stiletto (affordable) AGA Campolin,Frank Beltrame,AKC,Renzo Beltrame,SKM are all comparable.

Old school German and Italian lever style- Hubertus(Ger),Massaro,AKC & SKM (It)

Modern Autos- Microtech,Protech,Benchmade,SOG,Al Mar,Gerber(Emerson),H&K (by Benchmade),Piranha and Hogue.The Hogue's are superb American made knives and one we rarely hear about.
All of these are users made in USA and can be had from 100 to 200 bucks.

Many here agree that one of the best knives for this price range is the Boker Kalashnikov series. Made in Taiwan and they use AUS-8 steel which holds a great edge and can found under 40 bucks. Very well made,super fast and lock-up is tight.

Mikov knives are Czech Made and come in all price ranges,styles blade steel etc. (I have six) 8)
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

A 1950s 11-inch stiletto, preferably with a tang stamp of Latama or Edwin Jay!
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

It all depends on personal taste and intended use, but if I had the money to spend, I would get a Severtech, then probably pay somebody to regrind it, as I'm not a big fan of tanto blades. I saw one listed on BladeForums for $600 a couple weeks ago.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Love the Severtech, sold 1 still have 1. Must say I've never carried. Just more than my pocket wants to carry. Damn tank though; no doubt. Saw that 1 sell. Makes my initial $175 seem ok. Can't remember what I sold the other for- not $600 that's for sure.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises