Size Comparison

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SnS77

Size Comparison

Post by SnS77 »

Hey guys,

One thing I feel like is missing on the forum is size comparison photos with the knives actually in your hand. For someone new to this its hard to grasp weather a 9" or 11" or even 13" would be best for you. Most pics are close ups of the details of your piece (which I love), but I cant find any in-hand size comparison pics. Anyone have some pics of a 9" and 11" in your hand? Which one feels most natural to operate? Thanx
andy17

Re: Size Comparison

Post by andy17 »

Presumably you're talking about traditional Italian-style stilettos. If so, when you talk about "natural to operate", you have to bear in mind that these knives are extremely limited in their application. In the 1950s, they were considered a novelty item by their makers and even the best-quality ones are suited for not much more than opening envelopes and cutting string. As far as that goes, the nine-inch models are easiest to carry in your pocket but I've always had a soft spot for the 11-inch models, which I consider to be the classic size. The 13-inch stilettos are too big for my liking; I feel they lose the elegance of the smaller knives when they get that big and they start to feel like small swords instead. Practically speaking, the extra blade length of the 11- and 13-inch models will be of no real use unless you plan to actually stab someone with them.

If you want a user knife, I would say look to something with a drop- or clip-point and leave the stilettos for show and for those Warriors and Dirty Harry fantasies. I get far more use out of my Mini Socom than I ever have out of a stiletto, and while I love the latter, I find these days I get more enjoyment out of using a nice knife than simply looking at it.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

An 11 inch to most people is actually a very big knife....I would go with a 9incher as your first one to see if you like them.
john

Post by john »

The 9" Italian stilletto is s great size. It's a friendly looking knife big but not too big. 11" knives start to look scary. The 13" will make most people think you're out to hurt someone. A knife collector will have a completely different point of view.
I like 9" and 11" for different reasons. Both are usefull. The nine is more practical to use and the 11" I like to collect. A few 11" I use, but most of the 11" I never use. 13" and above IMO are great for collecting and not much more.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
slw

Post by slw »

rps20130323_161335_668.jpg
rps20130323_161335_668.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
This should give u an idea.and yeah,the 13" will scare people. :shock:
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I always favor the 11" and carried one that size for years as a teen ....I have large hands so perhaps that is why I like the 11" over the 9"..The 9" are the most popular size sales wise....
andy17

Post by andy17 »

I'm surprised at people saying the 13-inch are more intimidating and scary. To me, once they get that big they start to look like toys!
komodo

Post by komodo »

Tom19176 wrote:I always favor the 11" and carried one that size for years as a teen ....I have large hands so perhaps that is why I like the 11" over the 9".....
You and me both! :lol:

Like you, I haven't carried a stiletto in years (I now carry "tactical" autos) but when I did, the 11's fit my hands just right. The 9's were too small, and the 13's, while IMPRESSIVE, were too large to carry in my back pocket without the unwanted attention of the local police! :lol:

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the 11's, but over the past few years I've developed a love for the smaller knives (under 8") as well. From time to time, I'll throw one in my pocket, and if someone sees it, they say "Oh how cute!" instead of seeing a 13 and saying "OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol:
If it's not fun, why do it?
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

andy17 wrote:I'm surprised at people saying the 13-inch are more intimidating and scary. To me, once they get that big they start to look like toys!
That's how I feel about the 18-inch knives. I have a couple of them and to me, they are almost cartoonish. As far as carry, I used to carry an eight-inch stiletto which was a perfect size for pocket carry. Eleven inchers are my favorites for collecting but for carry, I would prefer an eight or nine inch and would even consider a seven inch.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

SnS77- Didn't read all the replies but determining size kind of comes with experience.
I can usually tell from a photo because of the spacing between the button and lock.

The older vintage stilettos seemed to have a shorter "throw" in the lock and by that I mean the slot the lock traveled is much shorter. Noticeably shorter.

Glad to have you as a new member,we all learn from asking and this is the finest place to educate yourself on Italian switchblades.
SnS77

Post by SnS77 »

Thank you all for the replies (and pic) this really helped me out. I got a 9", now onto the 11"!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

SnS77 wrote:Thank you all for the replies (and pic) this really helped me out. I got a 9", now onto the 11"!
Lol. I remember when I was there.

"I need an 11" to match my 9" switchblade. Well, I guess I should get the 13" one too. Oh, they make 7" and 15" ones; I better get one of each of those.

I guess I should also get one with with white scales. Now I need an 11" white one to match my 9" white switchblade..."

It's easiest to just accept that you will soon be a slave to your collection.
StevieWunders

Post by StevieWunders »

By all means, buy all you want, any size you want and enjoy. Share that pleasure with your other knife-collecting friends. But for your own sake, don't entertain notions that a 13" or any other size will strike fear in someone's heart. It might. Then they'll either call a cop and have you arrested or put half a clip in you, depending upon whom you decided to impress. It's not as nice out there as it is in here. :cry: