13" AGA Campolin Batwing copy?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
meridianfrost

13" AGA Campolin Batwing copy?

Post by meridianfrost »

Hi everyone,

My fiance purchased what "Horizon Bladeworks" ( http://nicnac.net/contents/en-us/d166_B ... nives.html ) said was an authentic campolin 13" batwing, but I am not convinced. I have heard of the quality of campolin, and this knife just doesn't fit. I have wanted one of these knives for a very long time, and when I finally have it in my hand, it feels like junk. My fiance doesn't really know where to get these, and purchased it from the above website for $380 USD, and it came with a "certificate of authenticity" that has Campolin's signature on it. Here are the things that I immediately noticed were wrong:

1. Upon depressing the diamond push button, the blade failed to fire into the locked position. It fired about 2/3 of the way, then stopped.
2. The blade has 1/16 play up/down, and side to side when in the locked position.
3. One of the scales is cut 1/16 too short on one side, and does not meet the bolster.
4. The liners appear to be bent. Lots of light seen through.
5. Rivets are ALL sloppy.
6. Casting marks (bad) on the swing guard.
7. Lockback release misaligned, spine misaligned with blade.

I'm going to attach some pictures I took for your review. The thing just looks like a really bad copy of this campolin knife. Does anyone have any experience with "Horizon Bladeworks"? Is this the norm for this knife? My fiance has already contacted the website and mentioned these problems, and has not heard back. Their return policy states that the knife must be returned within 5 days of receipt for a refund to be granted. She bought it as a gift for me, and didn't look it over until I opened it up this morning for christmas. It also has deep gouges in the scales, and firing button. She was really upset that it was such a poor quality product for all the money she paid for it. If any of you can help I would really appreciate it. Also, is there a reputable place that a campolin knife can be purchased from? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best,

~josh
Attachments
more gaps
more gaps
campolin 017.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 11075 times
casting, and gaps
casting, and gaps
campolin 015.jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 11075 times
scale gap at bolster/ liner alignement
scale gap at bolster/ liner alignement
campolin 010.jpg (38.33 KiB) Viewed 11075 times
SPRINGER KONIG BONSA Weidmannsheil LEVERLOCK
monstro

Re: 13" AGA Campolin Batwing copy?

Post by monstro »

I believe Horizon Bladeworks do have a presence here? So you might get a response yet?

Aside from that, that particular style of switchblade is kind of a niche, and i'd wonder if it's worth anyone's trouble to copy it, or if Horizon would knowingly buy such a copy anyway?

I'm more inclined to think you got a real knife with serious defects (?)... and that it should have been checked before it was sent to you.
meridianfrost

Post by meridianfrost »

Ok, thanks very much. I have now sent the website an email as well as AGA Campolin asking some questions about this knife. I hope the things I have been reading about them online are unfounded. Apparently they are in a flame war with another knife dealer called Brad Skipper, or so it says in the ripoff report that I saw when I first googled the company. Looks like someone else on ripoff report had the EXACT same experience, minus opening the knife as a christmas gift. If anyone knows his username on here, please direct him to my post. It looks like he is a registered user on Bladeforums as horizonod, but the username hasn't had any activity for the past 7 months. I'm going to post over there too to see what I can discover. Do you know an excellent dealer that sells campolin knives?

Thanks for the response.

~josh
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Horizonod is a very respectable dealer and will get you taken care of. The flame war on the "rip-off report" was years ago.

Your probably not going to get an email response today (it is Christmas day). I would make an actual phone call tomorrow if it were me.

BTW- Your knife is not a fake. These knives are hand assembled and many of the problems you talk about are common, unfortunately. My guess is you won't be happy with most any Italian made knife.
meridianfrost

Post by meridianfrost »

That is ridiculous whippersnapper. I have owned several Italian stilettos in my time, and absolutely ZERO of them had warped liners, gouged scales/release, gaps between the scales and bolsters, or ANY play in the blade. I have also held a campolin knife, and fell in love with the craftsmanship these knives are attended to with. The notion that I would have to live with a defective and poorly made knife as something that was "common" for Italian made stilettos is absurd. We aren't wealthy people, and $380 for a 13" piece of junk doesn't strike me as tolerable for any consumer. I wouldn't pay $50 for the knife I unwrapped today.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

As ws stated, Horizonod is a respectable dealer. I strongly suspect he will work with you on this one. A few minor things are commom with handmade Italian switchblades, but yours is very, very bad. Also, it is Christmas day so give him a couple of days to respond.

Jim
meridianfrost

Post by meridianfrost »

Absolutely. Thanks to all for the responses, it is much appreciated. And I just re-read my last post to whippersnapper, and it sound like it could have been taken as a little churlish. My apologies if it was. My fiance is frustrated, and upset about the gift, which in turn kind of set off the "Do something about it" spark in me I suppose. She's not taking it well. She just cried and cried after I inspected it. She wanted it to be perfect, and thinks that I absolutely hate it. Couple that with the stuff she read online, and her Christmas is now a mixture of a puddle of tears, and rage. Thanks again for your responses, and Merry Christmas to you.

~josh
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

No apologies necessary and I understand your frustrations and those of your fiance. I would be disappointed myself.

I'm also glad you have had good luck in the past with the Italian knives you have collected. That hasn't always been the case in my experience, and it seems like I always have to tweak or fix something when I get one. My last sentence in my first post was probably a bit harsh and I wrongly assumed you might be a new collector not familiar with things like rough/sharp pins and liner gap etc.

I'm confident though that horizonod or his wife (the real boss :wink: ) will make things right.
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

I own three Batwing Swing Gaurds. Two are 2011, and one 2010 model.
The shield that you depress to fire the knife looks different on mine, it's not a diamond shape.
You might want to search you tube and check out some of the ones demo'd there.

Snarlingrabiddog owns a ton of these, and shows them in great detail.

I have not had any of these problems that you are experiencing.

Mike
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Meridianfrost,

Not to worry - Nick (Horizon Outdoors) is onna "Good Ones List." He didn't get on that list for nothing. Nick is a good guy. He will take care of you. Relax!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I know the seller is a great guy and I have always thought highly of him, but should he really have sent out a $380 knife to a new customer with all these defects? This is at the price point where a knife should be looked at and any issues noted to the buyer. There are several dealers on ShaperDeals that list the smallest of defects in both pictures and statements so the buyer is well aware of issues, and these are knives selling for $50 and up. I am sure it will be made right, but the damage is done in both a ruined holiday and a displeased customer.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mos' excellent point, Mr. Tom...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
john

Post by john »

monstro wrote:I believe Horizon Bladeworks do have a presence here? So you might get a response yet?

Aside from that, that particular style of switchblade is kind of a niche, and i'd wonder if it's worth anyone's trouble to copy it, or if Horizon would knowingly buy such a copy anyway?

I'm more inclined to think you got a real knife with serious defects (?)... and that it should have been checked before it was sent to you.
Hello meridianfrost,
DITTO and Horizon is member of TB. Ask to return the knife get a replacement.
Bad things happen to good people some how this got past everyone.
I did not read the entire thread, but I'm SURE Horizion will take good care of you.
Please let us know how it all turns out.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
monstro

Post by monstro »

It's been several days, and this is a pretty high profile issue at this point.

Are Horizon on holidays, or otherwise unavailable?
dwells

Post by dwells »

What a crime! This is no different than the humpback thread. Junk shipped to an experienced dealer, dealer ships the junk to a collector/customer....un f_cking believable!!!