Lost in Overtime

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
floater

Lost in Overtime

Post by floater »

I sure would appreciate it if someone would enlighten me on the finer points of bid sniping and the means by which this takes place. Tonight I was watching the clock tick down on a BA item where I had the high bid. The clock struck 0 - 0 - 0 with my bid still on top, and I went to get my wife to show her the newest member of the family. When I returned a couple minutes later the bid was $2 higher, the clock read EX-EX-EX, and someone called BigKabloona had "my" knife. :? This particular item was not that big a deal to me, but I'd like to know if there is a way to prevent this when I am bidding on something I really DO want.
Much obliged for any advise,

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Nothing works 100% but wait until the last minute or two and then bid the absolute maximum you would pay. If you are outbid then it doesn't matter. Many of us have a problem with the way BA automatically extends bidding time on "hot" items. [At the same time being outbid because time ran out kind of sux also. At a real [live] auction bidding stops when there are no more bids]. You can also bid your maximum as soon as the auction starts and laugh at anyone who outbids you 5 minutes later, and all the others that outbid him in the next couple of days.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

you won't beat someone with deep pockets unless you are willing to bid the sky! it's always a good idea to bid to your absolute cieling if you really have to have it, then sit back and wait, and hope your cieling is above the other guys, cause in the last few seconds ther is no time to re-bid...i too have learned this the hard way, and even that no good dirty wrotten otta be chucked outta the NHL missaman has sniped me! :evil: - but i've forgiven him now :D

i do believe there is software that can help you place a bid with nano-seconds left, and also i think with BA - there can be time added to the auction if heavy bidding occurs at closing....
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Floater,

My approach to that game is to not play it. The Jim D approach works very well for production knives, not at all for one of a kind items. Once you have established trusted relationships with sellers (often by winning auctions), send them an e-mail asking if they sell privately as well. I have never receiced a negative response to this question.

Then, just ask what their price is for your item of choice. My experience is that I always get a very good price for my item of choice, typically below the reserve, and without the auction hassle. This benefits me. The seller benefits by not having to list the item on auction, having an immediate guaranteed sale, and not incurring the risk of the top bidder being a deadbeat. The key is establishing mutual trust.

Jim
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. Foater,
What I often do is Place a bid at the last second even if I'm high bidder, at least it ups your chances. Mr. Bigg I have no idea what your talking about :roll: :P
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I do what Jimd says as much as possible.
but there are some hard to get items that it just wont work on... those I snipe :twisted:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Floater,

If I win'em, I win'em. If I don't, then tough shit. It's not like it's the last knife on earth. I couldn't count the times I was screwed at the last second, while I can't count the times I screwed someone else at the last second. What goes around comes around.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Jay

Post by Jay »

Some auction sites have "sniper protection" it extends the auction by X number of minutes if there is a bid in the last X number of minutes, the times are set by the site administrator. And that leaves it open for other bidders. If the auction site that you are using has "sniper protection" then it is not possible to snipe.

Where sniping is possible, the best way to do it is to have a clock with a second hand sitting by your computer, that way you don't have to keep refreshing the page. Wait until there is no more than 15 seconds left until the end of the auction and then place your maximum bid.

Sniping does not always work. Because there are sometimes other people doing the same thing or the current high bidder's maximum bid has not yet been reached.

It all boils down to one thing, whoever places the highest bid will win. So you should always bid the maximum amount that you are willing to pay.
missaman

Post by missaman »

mrbigg wrote:you won't beat someone with deep pockets unless you are willing to bid the sky! it's always a good idea to bid to your absolute cieling if you really have to have it, then sit back and wait, and hope your cieling is above the other guys, cause in the last few seconds ther is no time to re-bid...i too have learned this the hard way, and even that no good dirty wrotten otta be chucked outta the NHL missaman has sniped me! :evil: - but i've forgiven him now :D

i do believe there is software that can help you place a bid with nano-seconds left, and also i think with BA - there can be time added to the auction if heavy bidding occurs at closing....
:shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :P :P :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have e-mailed snipers to congratulate them, why have hard feelings over saving money? The legendary Switch-67 [along with others] has got me once or twice, I consider it an honor to be beaten by a master. He's also a fantastic photographer and all round great guy. If you let sniping bother you "stay out of the kitchen" the "best man" is the one with the highest bid. No-one can snipe you if you bid enough. I really use the term jokingly and don't consider it unfair at all.
floater

Post by floater »

I want to thank you all for your sound counsel. I didn't mean to moan about it, and I wasn't :x (more :? than anything). I found your comments insightful, and they went a long way in adjusting my attitude about how the game is played. All's fair in love & switchblades, huh? Win without braggin' (well sometimes, eh, missaman?) and lose without excuse. It's nice to know that good sportsmanship still means something and is alive and well in some parts of the world.

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Floater, I've contacted sellers in the past and was able to purchase direct from them on a knife or knives I've especially wanted to add to my collection. I would suggest you try it too. Dosen't hurt to ask.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

abe suarez wrote:Floater, I've contacted sellers in the past and was able to purchase direct from them on a knife or knives I've especially wanted to add to my collection. I would suggest you try it too. Dosen't hurt to ask.
This works beat if you have won an aution or two first so they get to know you. But it may work on a first time deal.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

True that Vagrant. That should be the first step. Show your interest.
I hated getting sniped! So I went to the source.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

abe suarez wrote:True that Vagrant. That should be the first step. Show your interest.
I hated getting sniped! So I went to the source.
And there are some great sources out there. We live in a "golden age"