LIGHTNING (Problem or notness?)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

LIGHTNING (Problem or notness?)

Post by JerrBear »

I just received a pair of LIGHTNINGS, one white, one yellow. Both have black blades and black buttons.

The yellow one has a bad rattle when I shake it when the blade is inside - Kinda like something is loose inside... It operates normally and locks-up fairly tight. No rattle when blade is out. I own a dozen or more LIGHTNINGS and this is the onliest one that does this, so I know it's not normal.

Anyone have one that does this or have any ideas why it may be doing this? I don't know if these are made in Taiwan or China. I emailed the seller, but I haven't heard back (because of the week-end).

Any serious comments and honest advice will be greatly appreciated... THANK YOU!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
whippersnapper

Re: LIGHTNING (Problem or notness?)

Post by whippersnapper »

Probably one of the springs is a hair long and doesn't have quite as much tension. It is probably fine except when trying to be stealthy during ninja manuevers. :wink:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Mr. JerrBear- I don't know much about the Lightnings but looking at the one I got from you it has small Phillips head screws,maybe you can take one half off and look inside.
What Whipper said sounds logical to me,maybe it's an easy fix.

These knives must be pretty well made,I have opened/closed mine well over 100 times and it's has never failed once. I have even carried it enough that it is showing signs of wear on the handles and it's still very sharp. I have opened lots of mail,cut tape and even some para cord with it.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

THANK YOU for your responses, Mr. Whipper & Mr. V.!

Heard back from the seller this day. Was told they checked some of their knives in stock and some of them rattled and some didn't and not to worry as these were "budget knives" and I shouldn't expect the quality of a Microtech or a Benchmade...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Over 2 years ago, I sold a Chinese lightning to someone :lol: It still works fine :!:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

JerrBear wrote:THANK YOU for your responses, Mr. Whipper & Mr. V.!

Heard back from the seller this day. Was told they checked some of their knives in stock and some of them rattled and some didn't and not to worry as these were "budget knives" and I shouldn't expect the quality of a Microtech or a Benchmade...
Good to hear it Jerr,I am still a fan of "side-kickers" but I love my Lightning you sent me.
I Humbly thank you my brother,I love it and have immensely enjoyed it.
I hope you find a remedy to your problem.
Rave

Post by Rave »

OK,I have been listening to posts on the Taiwan Lightning otf knives.
In the past a few and most gave out soon except one that is still functioning although I never use it.
I just received a new Taiwan Lightning and it is a whole lot different than the old ones I had.
The blade is compleatly different in grinds,much better in my opinion and the action is more solid and is secured with small hex head screws.
The operating slide bar is white and the area under it shows some wear where it was tested before shipping according to the paperwork that came with it.
The ad claimes that the ones with the black slide bar are Chinese and the white bar are Taiwanese.
So far so good and time will tell,but of course it isn't a Scarab and won't be spared like it was,more up dates as time goes by. :)
john

Post by john »

Mine has less blade movement than my Italian OTF's. I think I'll get another. It's a good light duty knife. It's great for yard work.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
novice

Post by novice »

I want to pick one of these up. Any recs as to where?
Rave

Post by Rave »

Forgot to add,the other Lightenings were rather dull but this one slices paper in 1/2" strips right out of the box. :)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Bladeplay had them on sale last week....The Taiwan ones with the silver slide button are the beat and razor sharp!

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Lightning-OTF--1837

seems like they are off sale now
Rave

Post by Rave »

Razor sharp for sure,shaves the hair off my arm effortlessly,not gonna try the face though.
I can't believe the difference in quality at basicly the same price. :)
Rave

Post by Rave »

Hmmm,a problem has appeared.
I dropped the knife on a terrazzo floor and the blade partially fired causeing it to come about half way out and go limp,i slung it and it was back in service but now I pulled it out of my pocket once and it was in the same condition.
It still fires and retracts fine but now I wonder when it will do it again?
Rave

Post by Rave »

Gone back to my aces high Italian otf for now.
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I have over a dozen assorted Lightning knives, and use them pretty hard.

If you hammer one into a solid wood object, the blade will partially retract-but how many times will you want to do that? Friend Jerr has told us of the 'Rumble' knife that can be hammered into a wooden door, and survive, but again, why?

I bow to the expertise of the membership, but for utility service, the Lightning is pretty good. I use them a lot. Sometimes, if they get dirty, you get a jam, to minimize this, I squirt some Dri-Slide lube down the blade opening, and that cures the problem.

The lightning will achieve what Jerr calls 'sharpness' , and stay sharp for quite a while. This is due in part to the single bevel grind.

If you sharpen such a blade on both sides, it gets duller, strop the blade on a sharpener on the beveled side, holding the original angle. Then on the final stroke, lay it flat on the unbeveled side and draw it back, once. This breaks the wire edge.

I've made Lightning blades very, very sharp this way, and the single bevel holds an edge well. Using a steel time to time preserves the edge-most of the time, when a knife is dull, the edge is turned, and the steel realines the cutting part. Meat cutters use a steel every few cuts to preserve the edge.

I doubt I'd take a Lightning to the Amazon jungle as my only knife, but for utility service, I rely upon them daily.

Just one man's humble opinion.
Life has no value, Death has a price