Why not more picklocks?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Woolly Caterpillar

Re: Why not more picklocks?

Post by Woolly Caterpillar »

I do not own any picklocks made in the 40s-50's so I cannot comment on how they compare with newer made ones. It is interesting that some of the newer ones are claimed to be just like the vintage picklocks. I have two modern picklocks (which are probably my favorites in my collection)that have much thicker blades and backsprings than the other three I own. Was this true also for the "vintage" picklocks?
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Maniago has always advanced toward cheaper production methods that are more easily assembled from generic parts, so stamped stainless bolsters replaced two-piece, solid, or stamped nickel silver. It was easier to make a pivot bolster than didn't require precise fitting or adjustment, so that's what they did. Manglers turn pivots back into picklocks. High quality makers still produce picklocks, but the prices are higher than Italian production.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Woolly Caterpillar

Post by Woolly Caterpillar »

I consider AGA Campolin knives to be fairly high quality but there is a huge difference, in my opinion, between the quality of their wasp body and 10" picklocks (which I have) versus their "classic" picklock line (of which I have two). In fact, I have three modern bolster release Latamas that, again, in my opinion, are of higher quality than the "classic" Campolin picklocks.