Why do you favor automatics over other knives?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
AutoMania

Why do you favor automatics over other knives?

Post by AutoMania »

I dunno, this may sound like a stupid question. If you prefer switchblades, why do you favor autos over other knives?

Personally I've favored automatics because I appreciate technology and things mechanical. I also dig the cool snap. On a more practical note, in my later years arthritis has set in my hands a bit and I no longer have the dexterity I had as a younger man, so thumb studs are a bit cumbersome for me now, particularly if a knife is a hard opener. Yeah, I hate to admit a loss of dexterity in my older years but it's true. I'm sure most of you folks still got it :D

Regards,
AM
Last edited by AutoMania on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer just pushin a button
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Why do you favor automatics over othe knives?

Post by Vagrant »

"I hate to admit a loss of dexterity in my older years but it's true."
Do not feel like the Lone Ranger :wink: [health/medical probs can add to or compound this :idea: ]
dwells

Post by dwells »

For me, it's not just being an auto that draws me in and away from other knives. It's the Italian stiletto's form, history and sinister appearance that has me flicking and ogling on a daily basis...it's actually quite an OCD. Any other autos, say a converted Buck or an OTF of sorts, just doesn't have the appeal to me. I think it has something to do with the look of guards whether they're fixed or they swing. Obviously, push button opening and the mechanics involved are also intriguing. When someone says "automatic knife", the stiletto rushes my brain....I can't help it....
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

My fascination with switchblades stems back to my childhood when my dad took us to California in 1973 and my older cousin snapped his Mexican Bullfighter lever out.
I was in awe and he suggested that when we go down to Tijuana the next day to ask guys in the little shops for switchblades.
We bought two black and one white Rizzutos and being a 10 year old boy they didn't see the three knives in my pants pockets crossing the border.
So the Rizz was my first.

All these years later the fascination is still there and I get equally excited if I get a standard Frank B,AGA Campolin,Hubertus or a Czech Mikov.

But even as a very young child my dad always gave me knives and I was most likely the only kid in first grade with a little white plastic handled two-blade Colonial in my pocket so my love for knives in general have been with me my whole life.

I don't think there is anyone out there that could resist picking up a switchblade and feeling it snap open. There just seems to be an almost sense of power. Not that it makes you tough or cool...ok it makes you cool 8) but it's the fact this seemingly inanimate object is "active" and the little rush you get when that blade comes to life.
daddyloko

Re: Why do you favor automatics over other knives?

Post by daddyloko »

They are just plain COOL 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The COOL attracts :wink: But practical aspects endure :idea:
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I think the strides made with materials and quality make it easier to have an auto EDC that will perform as good or better than any knife. When I started collecting, autos were almost a novelity. Now you can have an auto tool with you. Don't get me wrong though, nothing compares to a nice old Italian switchblade knife 8)
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

too me, its more than just the alure of the shape, the flow from one shade of color to the next on the scales, the glimmer of a polished blade in the noon day sun, the click of the button, the schlunk of the blade lock up, its also the forbidden nature of it's existance in or socitiy.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

8) COOLNESS 8) FACTOR!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

TRYKER wrote:too me, its more than just the alure of the shape, the flow from one shade of color to the next on the scales, the glimmer of a polished blade in the noon day sun, the click of the button, the schlunk of the blade lock up, its also the forbidden nature of it's existance in or socitiy.
That really is a big part of it. Although what I said above is true in the back of my mind it is the "outlaw" thing that really sets a switchblade apart.
There are modern autos with better construction but nothing has the appeal of an Italian switchblade.
ThaiBoxer

Post by ThaiBoxer »

Forbidden fruit. I wanted one bad as a kid, couldn't get it and now I am a middle-aged kid with disposable income who owns way too many switches, a bunch of silencers and shootin irons and other James bond stuff. My own kids think they are kind of interesting but don't get too excited, especially over the silencers. How can you not think silencers are AWESOME?!?!

They can't be my kids....
tanto

Post by tanto »

I like to play with them (and scare my colleagues :))
---------------

My knives + watches
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I love things mechanical. I love great classic design. Weapons in general have always held a fascination for me.

Italian stilettos and other classic styles such as the Calalanas, lever locks and swinguards appeal in all these areas. I also look for a high level of workmanship; not always widespread in these knives but I'm picky. Modern style switches may be a lot more practical, but don't float my boat all that much.
peter44

Post by peter44 »

Viking45 wrote:
TRYKER wrote:too me, its more than just the alure of the shape, the flow from one shade of color to the next on the scales, the glimmer of a polished blade in the noon day sun, the click of the button, the schlunk of the blade lock up, its also the forbidden nature of it's existance in or socitiy.
That really is a big part of it. Although what I said above is true in the back of my mind it is the "outlaw" thing that really sets a switchblade apart.
There are modern autos with better construction but nothing has the appeal of an Italian switchblade.
Yep, that's about it Mr Dave :!: 8)
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
john

Post by john »

peter43 wrote:
Viking45 wrote:
Yep, that's about it Mr Dave :!: 8)
For me it's all of the above. Plus, I find the different blade styles appealing: half grind, bayonet, dagger, drop point, swedge just to name a few; they're awesome. Then there's the scales MOP, abalone, Brazilian horn, Egyptian horn, ram, bone, sambar stag, ivory just to name a few they beautiful. Next the metals: brass, stainless with all the different finishes like mirror and brushed, nickel silver, blue titanium and so on leaves me speechless (not really). Next the sound when they open. What about the shock wave up your arm. What about the different styles: Frosolone, swing guard, classic stiletto, slant bolsters, boster release, deer foot, catalana, fish tails and so many more. I'll stop now so someone else can add to this thread.

John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed