A Puzzlement...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

A Puzzlement...

Post by JerrBear »

I have a pair of ring-pull knives that have been stored closed for over 3 years. They were made by AGA Campolin. I think they were sold as "HUNTERS," but I'm not sure. They are massive knives, 11-1/4" OAL with 5" blades.

One of them is original and the other has been customized by our very own talented, Mr. Straydawg - It has white Corian scales, square button, smaller ring and nice file work onna spine. Even has a safety!

Anyways, I got them out and fired them. The original opened slowly about 3/4ths of the way and just stopped. The customized one opened with an anemic snap and locked-upness. I didn't expect much of a snap because the blade is large and quite heavy. I gave the customized one a liberal douche with WD-40, wiped down the excess and applied a few drops of oil. Now, it only opens 3/4ths of the way (like the original) and will not lock-upness.

Why would it do this?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: A Puzzlement...

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Play with them a little. Old oil can become thick and gummy.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I've found that "Quick Release" sold by Walter Halucha really works. A little lasts a long time.
http://quickreleaseoil.com/
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Play with them a little. Old oil can become thick and gummy.
Thank you, Mr. Bill. I'll give it a try...
JerrBear
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

natcherly wrote:I've found that "Quick Release" sold by Walter Halucha really works. A little lasts a long time.
Thank you, Mr. Natch!

The delightful Ms. Barshoo gave me a little bottle of that. Alas, I haven't seen it since I moved here 3 years ago. Guess it's time to invest in some more. Sure got some stellar reviews from some of the "Big Boys."
JerrBear
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

JerrBear wrote:
natcherly wrote:I've found that "Quick Release" sold by Walter Halucha really works. A little lasts a long time.
Thank you, Mr. Natch!

The delightful Ms. Barshoo gave me a little bottle of that. Alas, I haven't seen it since I moved here 3 years ago. Guess it's time to invest in some more. Sure got some stellar reviews from some of the "Big Boys."
It's probably sitting next to that little NAA mini- revolver you can't find, Ho,Ho, :P
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
john

Post by john »

Like Bill suggested play with it after you fire it many time it should be fine and some light weight oil can't hurt. I too have one of those places where things disappear to and never can be fou d again. :lol:
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
dwells

Post by dwells »

Hey Jerr, I hope you find the right recipe. I've been using the new Liquid Wrench with Cerflon. It will cut the old gum and leave a dryish lube that won't gum back. Used it on my EDC when I first got it and haven't had to use it since, fires like a rocket :wink: .
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Jerr- Just wondering if there is any update on your be-puzzle-ment? I agree with some of the Top Brass that springs under pressure do not loose strength but I know from experience that some knives(not all) stored closed can sometimes be a little sluggish.
It is a good chance it was oiled but picked up a couple years worth of lint and dust and made it fire slow.
Like many here,I use WD for cleaning,not lube. WD works miracles for flushing crud out of the nooks and cranny's.

This has been brought up many times but the springs in shock absorbers weaken but there must be a scientific reason why switchblade springs don't loose strength.
My guess would be because of the "coiled" nature and tempering of springs is a world apart from a "V" shaped spring that is not subject to constant up/down motion.
Take these guys that find these old vintage switchblades that have been in a cigar box for 5 decades and the sum-bitch snaps open like the day it was made.
Perhaps neglect and lack of oil is the secret :idea: :lol:

Patina is the "new" oil. WD-41 we'll call it 8)
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Viking,

I posted the solution to this previously, but deleted it in accordance with the 5th ammendment... :oops: :oops: :oops:
JerrBear