Vintage Italian Switchblade Identification

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jim Cissell

Vintage Italian Switchblade Identification

Post by Jim Cissell »

I'd like to get some help better identifying this '70s era stiletto...

The example is 9'' long, with a 4'' blade. As you can see, there is no marking on the tang. The scales are imitation stag horn, with stainless bolsters, and brass liners.

It is in as-new condition, due to it's storage in a display case. It was originally purchased about 1974, and has been unused since that date.

Apparently it was a Beltrame creation, as its 'sister' knife had a tang marking suggesting so.

Please look these images over and let me know your thoughts...

Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
IMG_3190.jpg
IMG_3190.jpg (26.03 KiB) Viewed 16983 times
IMG_3189.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 16983 times
IMG_3188.jpg
IMG_3188.jpg (24.11 KiB) Viewed 16983 times
Jim Cissell

Re: Vintage Italian Switchblade Identification

Post by Jim Cissell »

Another image to consider...
Attachments
IMG_3193.jpg
IMG_3193.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 16980 times
john

Post by john »

Hi Jim,
Without any tang stamp or visible marking in the liners it's very difficult to say who really made this knife. That said, it's appearance looks typical of many makers, but it would be a safe bet to say it was a Beltrame or it could be a Campolin. Let's see what the other members have to say.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

Judging by the pics alone, I'd say it is a late 80's/early 90's construction. If you could take a pic of the backspring, and a closeup of the inner spring near the rear/bottom bolsters, you might get a more accurate reply. But I doubt this knife is from the 70's.
It might even be from the late 90's/early 00's.
Imitation stag is not very common, nor does it date the piece very well.
Many of your basic "classic" style stilettos are tough to date and title the maker, becuase of the "universal" qualities and attributes. But the commonality of the 80's, 90's, and 00's stilettos are seen here.
The 70's started the trend with this "commonality", so I reckon it is quite possible the piece came out of that decade.
I hope you find a better answer than mine :lol:
Looks like a fun piece, for sure 8)
Free
"Everyone is your neighbor."
Jim Cissell

Post by Jim Cissell »

So, there isn't any detail that may suggest what decade the knife was produced?

In this case, it may be a situation where I'd have to take the individual's word on the age and type?

I hope I can gather more solid evidence on this as I was wanting in particular, a vintage knife.

Jim
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Jim,

Regarding manufacture, do a search here for "cottage industry" You may find the information useful.

Jim
Jim Cissell

Post by Jim Cissell »

FreeTheArmy wrote:Judging by the pics alone, I'd say it is a late 80's/early 90's construction. If you could take a pic of the backspring, and a closeup of the inner spring near the rear/bottom bolsters, you might get a more accurate reply. But I doubt this knife is from the 70's.
It might even be from the late 90's/early 00's.
Imitation stag is not very common, nor does it date the piece very well.
Many of your basic "classic" style stilettos are tough to date and title the maker, becuase of the "universal" qualities and attributes. But the commonality of the 80's, 90's, and 00's stilettos are seen here.
The 70's started the trend with this "commonality", so I reckon it is quite possible the piece came out of that decade.
I hope you find a better answer than mine :lol:
Looks like a fun piece, for sure 8)
Free
Free,

I wasn't able to get a clear, detailed image of that interior area you mentioned, but when I inspected it under a bright light, with a loupe, the spring and bottom bolster appear to be a single piece - no seam or joint there in that corner.

I looked at another knife of mine (an 8'' AB with tang marking, purchased in the early 2000s) and it does suggest that there is a seam, or maybe a line from being machined, but certainly not as smooth a transition as the faux-stag stiletto.

Does that give any more indications?

Jim
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Many of the basic stilettos with stainless bolsters,bayonet blades etc have remained almost unchanged for about 4 decades,pinpointing a date is almost impossible.
There may be a few out there that if examining the knife first hand could make an educated guess as to the age.

The lack of a companies logo/tang stamp has always made it difficult but again this is the Northern Italy "Cottage Industries" way of doing things.
It's a great system but makes it very difficult to identify knives.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Would also think it is from the late 90's and possibly from the cottage industry as Jim and Viking suspect. Have a couple of these and for sure not vintage.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Jim Cissell

Post by Jim Cissell »

Razor_54 wrote:Would also think it is from the late 90's and possibly from the cottage industry as Jim and Viking suspect. Have a couple of these and for sure not vintage.

Thanks guys - I appreciate your comments.

It's too bad it doesn't seem to be a 'vintage' example. That's what I was told, and I guess I was duped.

Other than that disappointment, it appears to be a nice stiletto, certainly in pristine condition, especially from something made in the '90s.

So, are the imitation stag horn scales relatively rare, or simply produced for a short period, and at the time just weren't very popular?

Thanks again,
Jim
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Jim Cissell wrote:
Razor_54 wrote:Would also think it is from the late 90's and possibly from the cottage industry as Jim and Viking suspect. Have a couple of these and for sure not vintage.

Thanks guys - I appreciate your comments.

It's too bad it doesn't seem to be a 'vintage' example. That's what I was told, and I guess I was duped.

Other than that disappointment, it appears to be a nice stiletto, certainly in pristine condition, especially from something made in the '90s.

So, are the imitation stag horn scales relatively rare, or simply produced for a short period, and at the time just weren't very popular?

Thanks again,
Jim
We don't want you to feel bad about it. Whether the knife was made in the early 50's or last night, it's still a fine example of an Italian stiletto and collectable.
If it was made in the cottage industry, it is a 100% better then the cheap clones out there.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Jim Cissell wrote:It's too bad it doesn't seem to be a 'vintage' example. That's what I was told, and I guess I was duped.
Thing is even if it is from the 70's and called "vintage" it really doesn't make it any more valuable. It would just kind of be cool to know it was a 70's model but as Razor said it's a very nice knife and you like it so hopefully you don't feel like you've been had.
None of us are positive about it's age and one thing that comes to my mind is that not a lot of people(collectors) go out of their way to buy an imitation stag knife.
Many figure if I am going to order a knife from Italy I want horn,stag or wood. I think the imitation stag makes it kind of a rare piece and an excellent collectible. 8)
Jim Cissell

Post by Jim Cissell »

Thanks guys. You've all made some excellent points, and I appreciate that.

I feel much better about the knife after hearing everyone's comments, and agree it doesn't HAVE to be vintage to be enjoyed.

And actually, the fake stag is kinda neat!

Take care, all, and thanks again.
Jim
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

There is no way that knife could be from the 70s because thay blade style, called a bayonet blade (although it does not look like a bayonet) did not begin to reappear until the very late 80s or early 90s.
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

Panzerfaust wrote:There is no way that knife could be from the 70s because thay blade style, called a bayonet blade (although it does not look like a bayonet) did not begin to reappear until the very late 80s or early 90s.
yup yup
But Jim, its a fine knife.
As long as you didn't pay out the arse for it, no one ought to lose any teeth over the matter. :wink:
The faux stag is rare but only raises value if someone is trying to find a stiletto of each scaling.
Try not to think of "future value", and go only for what really turns your knobs :idea:
Glad you're happy with it :!: 8)
"Everyone is your neighbor."