"Black Dagger" retracting guard knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Handle8

Re: "Black Dagger" retracting guard knife

Post by Handle8 »

Thank you Bill. With some investigation I have learned that switchblades are not sellable in my state - even if it is the sheath and not the blade.
Will just keep it aside for now. It is kind of a cool little knife....
Mario

Post by Mario »

I always found the discussion on whether or not these would still be considered switchblades in some jurisdictions that outlaw switches to be an interesting one.

Like, it’s actually a fixed blade knife and the only automatic action involves the blade cover. It seems like most places only consider the blade itself shooting out from the side or the front to be what makes a switchblade a switchblade. I guess there are some places though that simply consider a blade appearing automatically whether it moves or not to be a switchblade. Seems like it could make for an interesting legal paradox. I personally think it should be called the “Grey Dagger” because it’s a knife that’s a true grey area in terms of the law! 😝
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:41 pm It's not worth much, and only as a curiosity.
Right! This knife was designed to circumvent the prohibitions of automatic knife possession/ownership.
Fishtail Picklock
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

There were 2 of them came out about the same time.

The Black Magic. . . I have two, one of which is converted into an automatic knife..
It was NOT worth the trouble, the internals are too flimsy to last.
Attachments
OTF-05.jpg
OTF-05.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 714 times
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

The other was a "Tekna" knife. . . . . I might have the name wrong. . .I forget.
The Tekna knife was much more sleek and stylish.

These images came off the Tekna home page. . . .I do not know who "Eric Larson" is, or why his name is on the knife.
You can see how the blade is a fixed blade, and the hollow black sheath OTF travels inward to expose the blade.

I don't think you could make it auto-close. . . .
I think you had to pull the cover out to cover the blade manually. . . like a single action Microtech in reverse.

The red button on the bottom, automatically exposes the blade, which is then a legal sheath knife.
Attachments
consumer-knife-5.jpg
consumer-knife-5.jpg (173.1 KiB) Viewed 714 times
consumer-knife-6.jpg
consumer-knife-6.jpg (430.29 KiB) Viewed 714 times