440 stainless italy 9.5" ??

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JPD1998

Re: 440 stainless italy 9.5" ??

Post by JPD1998 »

JimBrown257 wrote:
the 1998 stands for a '98 vette I used to own.
I figured it was probably something like that.

Your right, I think the one with red scales in the picture is a Taiwanese one. It really isn't too bad for a cheapie; that is definitely not a sign of Chinese construction. And the scales are kind of translucent. I guess I've never really looked at it too closely.

I really hate how they write "Stiletto" on the blade. That looks really tacky.
I have a few of these with no markings on the blade and they're flat ground instead of the bayonet style.
It's funny becasue I used to consider these all junk, but compared to the newer mainland Chinese knives these are much nicer.

I have my eye on a 9" AKC knife , similar style as these , but $50. Is there a big difference in the quality as compared to these taiwanese knives?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I have my eye on a 9" AKC knife , similar style as these , but $50. Is there a big difference in the quality as compared to these taiwanese knives?
Sometimes the outrageous price difference is mostly so you can have a knife that says "Microtech" on it but AKCs are definitely 3-4 times as good as the various Asian knockoff. Although, some of the knockoff aren't bad. I was looking at a few of the ones I have sitting around; some of them are pretty sturdy and some of them fell like pieces of tin that are about to fall apart.

If you are looking for a quality Italian style stiletto, keep your eye on the auction boards and the Buy & Sell section here as you will often see some great deals that not many other people are interested in. Most collectors quickly grow out of the standard Italian switchblade and want other models.
micaela

Post by micaela »

Thanks all.