Frank Beltrame

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jthm

Frank Beltrame

Post by jthm »

his "switch" models, why are they only 22 dollars? they appear to be of good quality... then again I've never seen one in person. I'm interested in this knife cuz the all screw construction. is it high quality? and what other companies use screws?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

They are not a heavy duty model by any means. They are designed to use maximum amount of machine assembly instead of hand assembly.
Nice knives but not as nice as the classic model. Probably better for custom work [especially for a beginner].
omega

Re: Frank Beltrame's Switch Models

Post by omega »

jthm wrote:his "switch" models, why are they only 22 dollars? they appear to be of good quality... then again I've never seen one in person. I'm interested in this knife cuz the all screw construction. is it high quality? and what other companies use screws?
Hi Jthm:

I own several and have sold a bunch of those as well. Of the various models within the Switch Line, the 2398VT - all black teflon tactical is my favorite and appears to be a little better in quality than some of the others.

Italy has not been particularly helpful with disclosure of who makes what, for whom or where. With the switch line, there is an obvious use of modern production techniques and that certainly makes it possible that these knives are not always assembled in the same place or by the same skilled hands that make the pick locks or models from the classic line. Hard to tell.

The screwed on scales can be good and bad. If you drop one and break a scale, replacement is real simple. Unfortunately, the screwed on scales are more susceptable to transit breakage due to exposure to heat/cold extremes during transit. I have had a few arrive with cracks/breakage around the screw holes. I had one experience where a customer left one in his pickup truck on a hot day and when he checked it the following morning, the top scale had cracked/broken in multiple spots- all around the screw holes.

Also the amount of torque put to those screws when attaching the scales likely is a big factor in how tolerant the scales will be to heat/cold extremes.

Fortunately, Frank has always been very good about sending replacement scales quickly, whenever they were needed. Free of charge too!

I don't know about the $22 price point you mentioned. Last time I looked, prices were around $30 give or take. Don't forget the dollar to euro conversion may jack that price a bit as well before its all done.

Finally, don't forget about the high cost of making such items magically appear on another continent. Before you are done, that $22 knife can jump to $65 - $70 in a flash.

Even with the possible negative points mentioned, I still love the 2398VT's. If you're going to get a switch model, try that one!
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

The biggest gripe I have about these knives is the proud blades. The liners and bolsters are all cast together out of a magnesium zinc alloy and then plated. After a while of use, the latch starts to oblong the hole in the liner, causing the blade tip to protrude when in the closed position. They need to make these knives out of stainless. They would make a nice (and heavy) piece of cutlery if they did.

M.P.E.
omega

Post by omega »

mypetelvis wrote:The biggest gripe I have about these knives is the proud blades. The liners and bolsters are all cast together out of a magnesium zinc alloy and then plated. After a while of use, the latch starts to oblong the hole in the liner, causing the blade tip to protrude when in the closed position. They need to make these knives out of stainless. They would make a nice (and heavy) piece of cutlery if they did.
M.P.E.
I also noticed that on the plated bolsters in the "stainless" - if that's what those are, the finish is not what we're used to. Wears down, scrathes a bit too easily, etc.

With the 2398VT teflon model, those issues aren't evident. According to Dupont, to use the Teflon name, they have to send the parts off for plating in a dupont-approved facility where the QC is probably better monitored.

Once you tear one down, the appearance of the metal (no liners) looks like some sort of gray potmetal.

Still, for the price, they are a damn better choice than the pacific-rim stuff, plus they are from a maker that can be reached for parts, etc.. Plus FB cares enough to stamp his name on the new ones coming out, which I think says something.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I also thought that the teflon finish would scratch, but didn't. Carried one for a couple of months on and off, still looks new.
I agree with Omega, for the price they are a better value than the cheap knock offs being offered all over the net.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6