best place or site to buy switchblades quality and price ?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
switchblade

best place or site to buy switchblades quality and price ?

Post by switchblade »

i am rather new at this but any info would be apprieciated mostly intrested in the american blades . i like the european blades and i seem to be able to find these at a good price however the american blades seem to be more pricey . i need to know if the american quality is worth the extra money ? or am i looking in the wrong places? i hope this is a question most can relate to .i feel this could be a very good and informative site.
thank you all,
switchblade
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

American switchblades cost more because it costs more to make them in the U.S., I would say I'm not anti-american but a few expections like Benchmade, Protech, SWAT, microtech the euro blades are probably better then some american blades.

For a first time Euro blade goto skm.to and pick up a cheap stilleto.

Have fun clicking!
tanto

Post by tanto »

IMO the American companies spend more on R&D so the knives have to be more expensive. On the other side most European companies do not produce that many varieties or new models so the production per piece is cheaper.

To find quality autos go to http://www.pvk.com or http://www.1sks.com.

David
---------------

My knives + watches
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

switchblade,
I think David is on track about American companies spending more on R&D, but add to that closely controlled production standards. For instance, my new Woodard WhiteWolf Fer-de-Lance (and thanks, David, for letting us know about that great knife) has tolerances of 0.0002"! The knife locks up so solidly it feels like a fixed blade. Still, there's nothing like the classic Italian stiletto for that true switchblade aura. They may not be very practical, and the QC among the several Italian producers is not all it should be, but they have a "soul" the American and most German knives simply lack. As for the best suppliers, I always check out Tiny's site first. His prices and service are top-notch, though other suppliers have wider selection.
hollowdweller

Re: best place or site to buy switchblades quality and pric

Post by hollowdweller »

switchblade wrote:i am rather new at this but any info would be apprieciated mostly intrested in the american blades . i like the european blades and i seem to be able to find these at a good price however the american blades seem to be more pricey . i need to know if the american quality is worth the extra money ? or am i looking in the wrong places? i hope this is a question most can relate to .i feel this could be a very good and informative site.
thank you all,
switchblade
Hey Switch,

In my very limited experience I'd say they are 100% worth the money. Sharper, better constructed. To me the downside is no multi blade or cool scales like the european ones.

West By God, where's that at??? :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

American switchblades are VERY well made, very reliable, seldom have defects, but rarely have soul like the Italian ones do.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

switchblade,

Welcome to the forum and great screen name! My take on the subject is that, in general, the American ones are more functional and the European ones are the classics. As Vagrant wrote, they have soul. So, have an American for use, and collect the Europeans.

Jim
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Soul Brother's Knives, a good name for a new company!

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Vagrant,

I wonder if a Papal blessing would give our American knives more soul? Or maybe a trip to Oakland? I am So confused.

Oh well,

Best Regard's,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
J-man

Post by J-man »

Mr. Bonzo, The pope was staying in my town the northside at a island that looks like a strawberry, it's also called strawberry island.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. J-man,

Did "His Royal Popeness" administer the "Blessing of the Blades?"
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
J-man

Post by J-man »

He blessed mine lol :wink:
Zack

Post by Zack »

Mr. Bladerunner:

On my down the list to the Fer De Lance, I landed on the Pocket Pro G10... it looks too nice. Ever seen one?

Mr. Bonz,

Oakland... period.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Zack,
No, I haven't seen a Pocket Pro, save in pictures. Smaller blades like that don't seem as useful to me as do ones at least 3"--same reason I'm not too interested in a Kershaw Chive, but do like the bigger Kershaws. And maybe I spoke too quickly about American knives having no 'soul'...I think the Pro Tech Godfather and Dalton Companion could be said to have at least some 'soul'.
Zack

Post by Zack »

Blade Runner:
I figure The Pocket Pro is pretty much the same size as the 8cm Hubertus Hunter... The Pro looks a lot beefier, though. Perfect for what I need...
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

switchblade,

Back to your original question; my recommendation is to stay right here and either pick several from SKM (use express courier only), or if you only can purchase one or two, buy from Tiny. When you receive your knives, post your thoughts. Based on your likes and dislikes, forum members will make recommendations that will steer you toward knives that suit your personal preferences.

Jim