Legality of Switchblade knives within the US

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I figure how "illegal" they are depends on the situation. If you pull one in a bar-fight you will be on your way to "public housing". If you flick it at home for the fun of it, no problem. [My state allows "licensed hunters while legally hunting" to carry one]. GET one and use it wisely, you'll love it and will sooner or later want another, [and another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and so on].
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I'm not worried - they can't take my Emerson CQC7 w/WAVE away from me! :D
Can they? :?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
JC

Post by JC »

I think it needs to be STRESSED that state laws and federal laws concerning autos are 2 ENTIRELY different things.

The guy who said "you can order autos within the U.S." is only half-right. Yes, if you are a knife dealer ["agent for law officers/military"]. If you are not, nope. Bad legal advice, it is.

Only if you live in an auto-legal state, and only within-state. Of course, you will likely NOT be charged with a crime if you do order out-of-state, but still, legally you cannot.

Be forewarned.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

It's not wrong if I don't get caught :P

SD
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, true, and most people who are caught do not get punished severely. But heaven help the guy who is the one guy that the Feds want to make an example of, e.g. he holds un-PC views or belongs to some un-PC group.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Thats why I work alone and only preach my views to the dead and some deadheads cause after all the acid they've used they can't remember sh!t.
Drivin that train, high on......

SD
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

JC
for the most part I agree with you. I think now things that were trivial such as switches were pushed aside for bigger issues or more dangerous types of packages going through. Now though with the Paranoia surrounding 9/11 the feds are looking at much more things alot closer then before. Once a bureaucrat always a bureaucrat.
PB
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

JC wrote:I think it needs to be STRESSED that state laws and federal laws concerning autos are 2 ENTIRELY different things.

The guy who said "you can order autos within the U.S." is only half-right. Yes, if you are a knife dealer ["agent for law officers/military"]. If you are not, nope. Bad legal advice, it is.

Only if you live in an auto-legal state, and only within-state. Of course, you will likely NOT be charged with a crime if you do order out-of-state, but still, legally you cannot.

Be forewarned.
I wasn't giving "legal" advice when I said that. Infact I never have given legal advice, I have said what the laws probably are from reliable sources in a particular area, but never "legal advice". For all intensive purposes you can order autos with in the US, there available from more then a few online stores and dealers.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

J-Man
You mean all that legal advice you gave me about avoiding paying taxes on my spaceship was made up? When you said I could deduct food because it was nessecary to live was fake? I want my retainer back with the case it came with plus all the little rubber bands.
PB
Bangie

Re: Legality of Switchblade knives within the US

Post by Bangie »

[quote="Drake17"]I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just can't get a straight answer-

Are switchblade knives illegal in the US?
========================

You can see all 50 state-to-state knife laws here:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm
butch

Post by butch »

Frankly I dont give a (censored) what the law maker's say.
I live in Pa and auto's are illegal but it's not going to stop me from collecting them.
I'll give mine up when they pry my cold dead finger's from around it.
I'm 33 year's old and these stupid law's have been around alot longer than I have.
Let them sit down and rewrite these law's,there may have been a time when these law's were once need'ed but they're not need'ed now.
People are armed with a lot worse thing's than switchblade's.

Butch.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

like runaway apostrophe keys for example. :)
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

the auto knife laws are outdated but i doubt they will be changed anytime soon! i can open a knife with a thumb stud quicker than i can open a stiletto. in some states oral sex between a man and his wife is still illegal, but not enforced!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

butch wrote:Frankly I dont give a (censored) what the law maker's say.
I live in Pa and auto's are illegal but it's not going to stop me from collecting them.

Butch.
I'm with you Butch, I also live in the Great State of Pennsylvania. Auto knives are a 'Prohibited Offensive Weapon' here but there is an exception written right into the regulation, it reads "It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio ......." This says to me that your collection is cool here. Don't carry them but having them does not seem to be a problem.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Roccomo wrote:
butch wrote:Frankly I dont give a (censored) what the law maker's say.

Butch.
I'm with you Butch, I also live in the Great State of Pennsylvania. Auto knives are a 'Prohibited Offensive Weapon' here but there is an exception written right into the regulation, it reads "It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio ......." This says to me that your collection is cool here. Don't carry them but having them does not seem to be a problem.
The more you have the more it would prove it's curio status if they were all at home.