A new Maniago

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

A new Maniago

Post by arthas »

Hello all!

Incredible as it might seem, there are now folks in Maniago willing to produce new models of switchblade knives. The goal is to produce something somewhat different, and of very high quality, while of course keeping an eye on the classic Stiletto design.

Basically, at present time we'd like to make some poll to see what people really want. Quality front opener with classical scales? Damascus lever locks with particular handles? Any other thing, shape, mechanism, whatever?

Tell here what you would like to see manufactured!

A huge THANK YOU for your cooperation, of course.
BTB0923

Re: A new Maniago

Post by BTB0923 »

Great thread!!!

I, and more than a few others, have been saying for a long time now that we'd like to see someone in Maniago start producing a trap-door otf again... be it single or double-action. Most of the modern otfs currently on the market lack the classic Italian style. The Italian trap-door otf's have that classic Italian stiletto look that we all love. An otf with retractable swing guards like the Microtech Masterpiece would be cool as well.

Also, there has been discussion of how popular a modern Rizzuto-style swing-guard would be, given that it was affordable and made a bit better than the majority of the Japanese ones. Maybe a re-issue of the orginal Italian lockback Rizzuto? None of the other Italian swingers have those cool batwing guards and scales that are flush with the bolsters.

As an overall piece of advice, I'd say that keeping things affordable would be preferable. Most of the new pieces coming out of Maniago currently seem to be in smaller runs, and are very costly. Not all of us can afford to spend several hundred dollars on one knife for the collection. Those expensive pieces are great, but it would be nice to have some new designs of "mid-range" priced Italian stilettos as well.

Edit: some examples

trap doors (the bottom three)...

Italian lockback Rizzuto (the white one)...

Those are my suggestions. I'm sure others will chime in with their own opinions.
Last edited by BTB0923 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I would like to see a Classic Italian-style stiletto OTF sans trap door... Maybe a kris blade?

Also, as Mr. BTB has expressed, a good quality Rizzuto with solid acrylic scales would be niceness...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

I love the new stuff coming out of Maniago (from the hump-backs to the Pascotto masterpieces to the new Campolins) -- However I would LOVE to see a quality, Italian designed and built OTF Trapdoor. I would SPEND on one of those!

It seems the Campolins have the Rizzy idea down pretty well - IMO of course ----

My 2 cents! - Dan :D
Belmont800
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I assume the poll will support a front opener, but, [for the few] who actually USE a knife the damascus leverlock wins by a lot :idea:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Michele,

There were conversations among the collecter community at the Atlanta show about how much we like fulcrum release stilettos. I think a well made fulcrum release stiletto do well.

Jim
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

I myself would like to see some stillettos made like the custom ones that are out of most of our price range.Like burn and others but a little cheaper.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

I'M DOWN WITH THE TRAP DOOR !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Vagrant wrote:I assume the poll will support a front opener, but, [for the few] who actually USE a knife the damascus leverlock wins by a lot :idea:
What? I figured for sure you would say a well built 10" stiletto.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

An otf with retractable swing guards like the Microtech Masterpiece
...Can someone find me a picture or link to this knife? I searched for it but nothing came up. Is the name actually "Masterpiece" or are you just calling one of their new blades a 'masterpiece'??

Also, what's the deal with the lever on those two OTFs in the second post? Is that just a release for the lock or what? Is that the "trap door" from which it gets its name? It looks to me like a double-action OTF (similar to one of those common NATO OTFs) but how do you close it? It doesn't have an up-and-down sliding button like the one in the second picture but it doesn't seem to have a lever on the side or tab on the bottom to pull it shut either. And who makes those knives?

I love the new stuff coming out of Maniago (from the hump-backs...
...I always love it when someone tries something new and would never discourage it but I just am not a fan of a coil spring in an Italian stiletto. When I opened that hump-back Beltrame it felt like popping the hood on a Trans Am and finding that someone had put the engine from a Prius in there.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Vagrant wrote:I assume the poll will support a front opener, but, [for the few] who actually USE a knife the damascus leverlock wins by a lot :idea:
But those already exist don't they? You could buy a damascus Mikov or damascus Leverletto right now if you wanted to. I do suppose they could design a new model.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

JimBrown257 wrote:
An otf with retractable swing guards like the Microtech Masterpiece
...Can someone find me a picture or link to this knife? I searched for it but nothing came up. Is the name actually "Masterpiece" or are you just calling one of their new blades a 'masterpiece'??

Also, what's the deal with the lever on those two OTFs in the second post? Is that just a release for the lock or what? Is that the "trap door" from which it gets its name? It looks to me like a double-action OTF (similar to one of those common NATO OTFs) but how do you close it? It doesn't have an up-and-down sliding button like the one in the second picture but it doesn't seem to have a lever on the side or tab on the bottom to pull it shut either. And who makes those knives?
Oh you have so much to learn young padawan :D Here is a pic of the Microtech "Masterpiece" (actual name)...

In regard to the second thing you asked about, the "lever" on the otf's in the first and second pic are actually the "trap door". You close the knife by pushing the button, holding the knife vertically so the blade falls back in about 90% of the way. You then close the trap door on the tip of the blade and push it down into a locked position, ready to fire again. No one makes those knives anymore. They are vintage pieces from the 50's(?)-60's, and are very rare and expensive. That's why it would be so cool for Italy to start making them again....only more robust. The originals are pretty flimsy.

Anyhoo, sorry back on topic...
Last edited by BTB0923 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I second that motion!
A brass bolster lever lock with flat grind damascus blade would do my heart good. Perhaps a little thicker brass liners would really do the trick.
Stainless is ok but I would prefer brass. (I am old fashioned)
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

arthas wrote:
Incredible as it might seem, there are now folks in Maniago willing to produce new models of switchblade knives. The goal is to produce something somewhat different, and of very high quality, while of course keeping an eye on the classic Stiletto design.
I can't believe I'm saying this but it would be great to see the classic maniago stiletto step into the 21st century with a new high quality design. Maybe something like Bill D's tactical leverletto. Swedge blade possibly part serrated, hidden release (to help skirt the crappy laws for awhile), a pocket clip. If some things like his could be done while still keeping the elegance of the classic stiletto, I would love to replace the benchmade in my pocket with a high quality maniago.

I will always collect the classic maniago knives and look forward to the re-released vintage style knives. But would also love to have a quality stylish down & dirty user from maniago in my pocket.
Switch King

Post by Switch King »

Hello Arthas
Great, I'm already looking forward to it. And I conclude, in the opinion of BTB0923 completely.

I just hope that the new (old) may also be ordered directly in Italy. So I come to Germany to enjoy. Of course at my own risk.

I'm a fan of the Rizzuto's and would be very glad if it would finally give a new edition. Likewise, I'd be on new Trap Doors in the Italian style.
It would also be great if they would offer in various sizes (Rizzuto). I also believe that it will find buyers for both knives a lot. I also believe that it will play a role in the deliberations. There are two classics that deserve a remake.

For these two editions, I would even go on foot from Germany to Italy, to possess in order to benefit from it.

Switch King
Greetings from Europe