A new Maniago

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: A new Maniago

Post by Vagrant »

arthas wrote:Hello all!

and of very high quality, while of course keeping an eye on the classic Stiletto design.

Basically, at present time we'd like to make some poll to see what people really want. Quality front opener with classical scales? Damascus lever locks with particular handles?
Did anyone understand the two choices :idea: :? I noticed I responed to replies :oops:
These are the options at present :idea: [now you know why there are lawyers and politicians] :lol: No-one can answer a simple guestion :!: I agree with some of the suggestions but, they did not answer the question
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!
Vagrant wrote:
Basically, at present time we'd like to make some poll to see what people really want. Quality front opener with classical scales? Damascus lever locks with particular handles?
Did anyone understand the two choices :idea: :? I noticed I responed to replies :oops:
Just to clarify: the two choices were just examples. You can propose anything you like.

Cheers,
M.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

arthas wrote:Hello!
Vagrant wrote:
Just to clarify: the two choices were just examples. You can propose anything you like.

Cheers,
M.
If you mean anything - I want an auto Swiss Army Knife, a carbon steel blade, swedge and fuller. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KA-BAR.jpg ] [ But I am a realist and that would negate the name Victorinox plus violate Swiss law :lol:
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!
Vagrant wrote:If you mean anything - I want an auto Swiss Army Knife, a carbon steel blade, swedge and fuller But I am a realist and that would negate the name Victorinox plus violate Swiss law :lol:
Ah, ops, sorry. :-)

The knife needs to be a switchblade, of course.

It's a good idea to stay focused on what most people want, but at the same time I'd like to collect ideas.

Cheers,
M.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

arthas wrote:Hello!
Vagrant wrote:If you mean anything - I want an auto Swiss Army Knife, a carbon steel blade, swedge and fuller But I am a realist and that would negate the name Victorinox plus violate Swiss law :lol:
Ah, ops, sorry. :-)

The knife needs to be a switchblade, of course.

It's a good idea to stay focused on what most people want, but at the same time I'd like to collect ideas.

Cheers,
M.
The knife proposed by whippersnaper would be excellent :idea:
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=45
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Before the Spanish outlawed automatic knives, they were offering some new torsion bar opening systems-these have spawned the assisted openers, perhaps?

I have several coil spring autos, and they work well.

(off topic, but a question for my personal curiosity-I've become quite fond of the Cupid/Joker single action knife. Has anyone had one break? I saw one on the street with the blade gone, but it had been run over by traffic, and that voids the warranty!) :?:
Life has no value, Death has a price
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

whippersnapper wrote:I'm probably in the minority but I would like to see a well made usable pocket knife. NS bolsters and decent blade steel that will stay sharp. Unlike the Speed hunters, I would like a slimmer profile...Maybe something like these lockbacks were. Either with the lock back, or button open/close and available in the usual scale materials like horn, stag, acyrlic, wood etc.

That's the one for me!

With button open/close, what a nice looking knife that fits well in the pocket and you can actually use! Great idea! :D
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I'll promise away my first born child for a nice modern Bo/Bc
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You guys do understand that the button open/close mechanism is much weaker that other closing mechanisms, and it limits design possibilities?
The only similar mechanism I can recommend is a lever lock. Otherwise, button O/C is not a very rugged design.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Now we know what happened to BO/BC!

There is little that's new in the way of knife designs. Just look at some of the recent Chinese horrors! Clocks! Unreliable flashlights Tiny compasses! AAAARGH!

A look back might be in order. Just a suggestion? There are many wise ones here(I know I've learned much and been often humbled here.) Let them suggest.

Why not some oldies but goodies?
Life has no value, Death has a price
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

You guys do understand that the button open/close mechanism is much weaker that other closing mechanisms, and it limits design possibilities?
The only similar mechanism I can recommend is a lever lock. Otherwise, button O/C is not a very rugged design.
Maybe they should look into making a different Bo/Bc mechanism.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Many American button o/c knives are extremely tough and reliable, so it's been proven possible. Might actually be just the type of new design challenge they're looking for. Just throwing this out there... how about a button o/c otf knife?
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I wasn't referring to the modern plunge lock-just the older Italian button mechanisms.
Who wants to see a plunge lock on an Italian? Yuck!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Who wants to see a plunge lock on an Italian? Yuck!
That's true. Here's a real challenge... a double action otf knife that opens AND closes with a push-button instead of a sliding one.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

Bill DeShivs wrote:You guys do understand that the button open/close mechanism is much weaker that other closing mechanisms, and it limits design possibilities?
Good point (which I didn't know, surprise surprise :!: )

I still like the idea of Mr. whippersnapper. I'm a BIG fan of the speed hunter, so even with a lockback, the idea of a similar, good user with a 'slimmer profile' sounds very nice. Obviously, the blade type/style/material plays a big key in whether it would make a good carry knife or not. But I think it would be a very popular knife.

Reminds me, wasn't there another poll sometime back about how many would like a smaller stiletto with a flat grind, carbon steel blade? Even it this stuff goes nowhere, it's nice to think that there is potential for new ideas that may end up reality. :D